Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Radar/Laser Detectors - thinking about a Bel Euro 550?

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2005, 06:40 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radar/Laser Detectors - thinking about a Bel Euro 550?

Since all of the announcements about the impending revenue gathering assault on the M4 (Wiltshire), I'm thinking of investing in a detector before they become illegal.

I've had a B2, which was pretty good but didn't pick up mobile radar traps (revenue vans) though it did pick up handheld laser. Then I sold it as I had a few problems with it losing satellite lock due to vibration.

Next I bought a new Road Angel, which was ok, but didn't seem to pick up revenue vans or handheld laser. Also I thought it looked a bit cack on the dashboard, so I sold that too.

So I'm thinking of getting either a monster all-in detector like a Snooper S6-R which does GPS/radar/laser, or just a decent quality radar/laser detector like a Bel Euro 550 or Bel Vector 995.

I've done a search on here and someone called Adam has recommended the Vector 995, and also mentioned that there was an eBay seller doing them for £170 - but I can't find anyone selling them that cheap.

Any suggestions/recommoendations*?

Cheers

* unless you're pslewis and are going to say 'stick to the speed limit' in which case please f%$k off and muppetise another thread.
Old 13 April 2005, 07:14 AM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Bel 330 and 550 are good at detecting them but dont provide any protection. You need a laser jammer like an LRC100 or the new one an LRC300? The other options of Blinder jammers. The M10 twin, M20 extreme and M40 extreme are the ones to go for, I have just sold my M10 twin unfortunatly! DONT get the M-06 kits that are for sale on Ebay, they are outdated and do not work as well. They dont even tell you that you have been hit, its up to you to see them and slow down before turning it off.

If you want an all in one I would go for an LRC unit with the output linked to a Road angel or the B2.

Love the pslewis comment, he can be such an unhelpful tw*t at times but also highly amusing at others!
Old 13 April 2005, 07:16 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Just trying to keep the thread 'on thread'.

I'd prefer to stay with passive countermeasures really, I neally went for an LRC100 in a group buy last year but chickened out.
Old 13 April 2005, 08:08 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

iwan,

buy a vector 995,

vector is the trading name of bel in the US. their newest model is the 995 and can be bought on ebay for £150 until everyone catches on.

If you read their website it shows that this was designed as the first international model and provides for all known frequencies across the world. It has all the features of the euro 50 but newer more advanced digital signal processing to reduce false alarms.

I bought one for my sister and was so impressed I bought myself one, though I still never use it.
Old 13 April 2005, 08:48 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Hi Adam, it was your thread that got me looking at the Vector 995. You mentioned you got yours for around £170 on eBay, but I've had a look and can't find anyone UK based who's selling them at the moment.

Do you have the details of the guy who sold you yours?
Old 13 April 2005, 09:38 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Scrub that, just bought a Vector 995 brand new on eBay (from the USA) for £146 delivered. Might have to pay import duty on that if i'm unlucky but hopefully not.

Old 13 April 2005, 09:44 AM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iwan the trouble with the passove ones is by the time your have been warned you also will have a speeding ticket on its way to you.
Old 13 April 2005, 09:59 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Yeah I know, but there's a slim (very slim!) chance you'll pick up laser splash of the vehicle in front so it's worth a shot. Also, neither the B2 or RA2 that I used to own had any kind of mobile radar detection. I'd rather have a slim chance of picking up revenue vans and mobile GATSO cameras than none at all.

I agree that active measures would be more effective, but I'd rather not go down that route.
Old 13 April 2005, 12:18 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

You'll stll get a lot of false alerts - especially round town. Bel 550 was excellent at detecting shop doors, traffic lights and the like. I found it a bit of a waste of time. Only useful thing was that it highlighted how many gatsos are just boxes that were emitting no radar at all.
Old 13 April 2005, 12:32 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Iwan
Yeah I know, but there's a slim (very slim!) chance you'll pick up laser splash of the vehicle in front so it's worth a shot.
Laser splash is about 12" in diameter so the chance of detecting it is negligible rather than 'slim'.
I have a Snooper S6-R and the radar and laser detector really are no use at all. The only way to be really sure is to use a GPS based system in conjunction with a diffuser, laser detectors are a complete waste of money.