speed camera protest???????

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2005, 11:58 PM
Crispy Love Sock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speed camera protest???????

Found This on another site!

All sensible drivers sick of cash cameras and inappropriate speed limits please signup.

---------
The time has come to stand and be counted. Enough is enough!

I’m guessing that there are many people who are getting kinda fed up with the ridiculous amounts of gatso’s kicking about and laser vans etc. etc. etc who are operating under the veil of being for safety when actually they are there to generate revenue – pure and simple.

It’s seems that the humble motorist weather it be someone who has a performance car – or classic car, or just a bog standard car is being penalised due to the over zealous speed enforcement that occurs in this country.

We all enjoy driving and we are being taxed to pieces do to petrol tax, road tax and now the speeding tax. So I propose we protest about it. Cause a bit of a commotion. Get noticed. Prove a point. Kick Off!

Basically the argument is that the speed camera is now not being used as a safety, life saving device – but a revenue device for the government – instead of being used in areas where these installations (weather fixed of mobile) would reduce accidents – they are being more commonly used in areas where it’s dead easy to catch someone slightly straying over an unrealistically low speed limit . It’s not ok any more – driving used to be a pleasurable experience – now it’s ruined due to having to spend each and every moment checking you speedometer.

I’m proposing that on the 1st August we do something.

Namely a mass protest by narked motorists who are prepared to get on the road to make a stand AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

Starting at Carlisle in the early hours as many of us as possible will drive down through the country – on mass – without breaking a single speed limit – or any law. But our route (which will be decided nearer the time – for obvious reasons) will cause a great deal of congestion and disruption – but hopefully we will be backed by the majority of the motoring public, who too feel aggrieved by how the roads are now policed.

I know there are many arguments about road safety and correct driving – I’m not proposing we should protest about any reasonable law – but a law that is broken by so many, so often, is surly a law that should be changed.

If you know of other people in other car clubs, or know of other car club forums where it would be a good idea to post a link to our revolution get on there and do it.

Let me know where else this is being posted so I can get stuck in and get this co-ordinated.

NOW IS TIME FOR A CHANGE!

VIVE LA REVOLUTION!!!!

email me john@themusiccellar.fsnet.co.uk

and I'll count you in and put you on a list so that you get all the developments!

Thanks folks,

Euphonium_John
Old 11 April 2005, 12:06 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Crispy Love Sock
Namely a mass protest by naked motorists who are prepared to get on the road to make a stand AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
Oo-er.
Old 11 April 2005, 12:45 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Found this on this site SIAL
Old 11 April 2005, 11:14 AM
kris55
Scooby Regular

can we not do this about the cost of fuel lets face it if it kicked off like the last time we wouldnt have to worry about Blair getting in so at least that would only leave it between 2 other loser to flees the English to give to all the Pikey scum and dont forget Asylum seekers too
Old 11 April 2005, 11:17 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

3 new GATSO's appeared on a 2 miles section of my route to work last week. Every bloody route in and out of town has cameras now, one route has 8 over and 8 mile stretch - must be the most dangerous road in the country, desptite rarely being able to do more than about 20mph on it due to the traffic levels
Old 11 April 2005, 12:37 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think he is making a perfectly valid point. The number of and placing of speedcams of all sorts is well over the top and amounts to unnecessary persecution of the motorist. As he says it gives the lie to the "safety" aspect and is obviously slanted towards raising revenue.

By all means site them in built up areas where there are institutions such as schools or hospitals etc. or where it is constricted and also where there are elderly people. Trouble is they prefer to put those chassis breaking speed bumps which damage cars eventually or narrow the road to cause more congestion.

Those flashing signs which show your speed as you approach are even more effective in slowing cars down but of course they don't raise money!

Les
Old 11 April 2005, 12:46 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

In my view the most dangerous place to place a speed camera is outside a school or at a junction. When motorists should be watching the road they are actually spending time looking out for the camera, watching their speedo and then looking in the mirror to see if it flashed. This may explain why accidents increased at 743 camera sites in the last year for which figures are available.

The speed bumps, or inverted potholes as some call them, are falling out of favour and in most areas where local people have campaigned to have them installed the same people now seem to be campaigning to have them removed again. The London Ambulance Service claims that speed bumps result in the loss of 500 lives per year due to delays in ambulances reaching patients or hospitals. Some people also appear to have discovered that the most comfortable speed at which to hit some types of speed bump is about 50 - 60mph and I am aware of others who sound their horn to alert other motorists to the danger. Clearly neither of these are popular with those living nearby.
Old 11 April 2005, 01:22 PM
budgie55
Scooby Regular

simple thing to do is to wreck the cameras tbh

worked on a camera near us. They decided to remove it as it was just being vandalised all the time.

Dont get me wrong I'm all for cameras at accident black spots but the cash cows have gone against the philosophy some time ago.
Old 11 April 2005, 01:27 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can we have a pointer to sites to support 'other' criminals too???

As I don't support speeding I was wondering if I could sign up to something less anti-social ...... like, Car Theft? Shoplifters? Burglars, maybe?

Grow up, slow down and don't waste your efforts signing up as the rest of the world are fed up will speeding killers!!

Pete
Old 11 April 2005, 01:33 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Can we have a pointer to sites to support 'other' criminals too???

As I don't support speeding I was wondering if I could sign up to something less anti-social ...... like, Car Theft? Shoplifters? Burglars, maybe?

Grow up, slow down and don't waste your efforts signing up as the rest of the world are fed up will speeding killers!!

Pete
Hook, line, sinker! How often do you kneel behind TB and polish his rear passage with your tongue?
Old 11 April 2005, 01:38 PM
budgie55
Scooby Regular

Just curious Pete do you always drive at the speed limit? Never ever break the speed limit?

If you dont I would be extremely impressed as I think everyone must have broken a speed limit at some point no matter how careful they drive?

Driving to slow can be just as dangerous as driving to fast. I dont drive like a complete tw0nk all the time. I'm in no rush to race the next saxo vtr boy who fancies a go. I'm past that now at 29
But I do regularly drive over 30mph. If 30mph was adopted world wide the moaners and growners would only find something else to moan about. IMHO of course

And...., more importantly, if the people laying down the law and upholding the law cant always stick to the speed limit... how can we expect others to do the same?

I'd love to see vehicles forced to stick to speed limits (not), but would be an interesting experiment to see the roads grind to a halt and watch Tony Blair and Gordon Brown cringe as the "booming economy" started to slide in to the bottomless pit.
On another note WTF is the crack with the Rover government deal 6.5million to keep them in work for another week... WTF!!!... its a failed business and has been for the last god knows how many years let it go and be done with it... ffs if we bailed out every failing business taxes would be even higher than they are at the moment... /end rant. sorry its off my chest now :P

Last edited by budgie55; 11 April 2005 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11 April 2005, 01:41 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

It's not speed cameras you wanna be protesting against, it's inappropriate speed limits and lack of active policing (i.e. policemen educating drivers). To protest just against camera's is playing right into the anti-car lobby's hands.
Old 11 April 2005, 01:51 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try looking at the facts - the speed limit is often not the safest spped at which to travel. A survey suggested that the motorists with the safest driving record generally travel above the speed limit - a spead of the slowest to the fastest drivers were taken into consideration and the slowest and the fastest were the most likely to be involved in an accident. The safest were those who travelled at the 70th percentile (from memory). These people were generally the most experienced drivers, not the boy racers who blatantly travel with disregard to driving conditions, nor were they the 'Sunday' drivers who travel everywhere at 20mph casuing mobile roadblocks. The speed limit system needs to be overhauled.

Originally Posted by budgie55
Just curious Pete do you always drive at the speed limit? Never ever break the speed limit?

If you dont I would be extremely impressed as I think everyone must have broken a speed limit at some point no matter how careful they drive?

Driving to slow can be just as dangerous as driving to fast. I dont drive like a complete tw0nk all the time. I'm in no rush to race the next saxo vtr boy who fancies a go. I'm past that now at 29
But I do regularly drive over 30mph. If 30mph was adopted world wide the moaners and growners would only find something else to moan about. IMHO of course

And...., more importantly, if the people laying down the law and upholding the law cant always stick to the speed limit... how can we expect others to do the same?
Old 11 April 2005, 02:01 PM
budgie55
Scooby Regular

what we really need to see is cameras on the motorways that snap all the old farts and other drivers who seem to find it hard to travel above 30-40 mph. Get the motorways flowing again

oh and introduce motorway lessons in as a compulsory part of the driving test. the amount of people who are scared to drive on motorways or have no idea of how to drive on motorways scares me to death.
Old 11 April 2005, 02:35 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gpssti4
Try looking at the facts - the speed limit is often not the safest spped at which to travel. A survey suggested that the motorists with the safest driving record generally travel above the speed limit - a spead of the slowest to the fastest drivers were taken into consideration and the slowest and the fastest were the most likely to be involved in an accident. The safest were those who travelled at the 70th percentile (from memory). These people were generally the most experienced drivers, not the boy racers who blatantly travel with disregard to driving conditions, nor were they the 'Sunday' drivers who travel everywhere at 20mph casuing mobile roadblocks. The speed limit system needs to be overhauled.
Think it's the 85th percentile you are after, which "should" be used for setting the speed limits / positioning of cameras http://www.safespeed.org.uk/rules.html