Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The Queens Castle

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2005, 10:09 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile The Queens Castle

Well that was the last in the 3 part series, about the Queen and Winsor Castle.
What a great program it was, and nice to get an insite.

LONG LIVE THE QUEEN !
Old 11 April 2005, 12:44 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Very good series, I really enjoyed it too.

Les
Old 11 April 2005, 12:58 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

I thought it was great, though I only saw the eisode last night and at that missed the end of it, and was especially impressed with the Duke who seemed to have no problem dealing with the inane questions and suggestions from the reporter.

I think that the effort that such people put into the preservation of the countryside and buildings such as Windsor just highlights why the country needs them despite the best attempts of the far left to paint them as worthless toffs. The Duke, for example, was particularily dismissive of what he called the "tree huggers" who lacked understanding of environmental management and so were preventing him from preserving the estate for future generations. If we let the tree huggers get control then we end up living in a world of mediocrity where there is no pride in excellence and where our traditional countryside life and the environment will be destroyed in the name of a political agenda.
Old 11 April 2005, 01:17 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

just highlights why the country needs them despite the best attempts of the far left to paint them as worthless toffs
Surely any estate manager would do a perfectly good job...

Need the Royal family

Can only think of one reason and that's to stop Blair becoming President

Royal family = complete waste of time IMHO
Old 11 April 2005, 01:40 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Off with your head.
Old 11 April 2005, 01:42 PM
Moray
Scooby Regular

Off with their heads, bunch of mongrels. The only normal ones in the family to look at were the Queen Mother and now Prince William. All others are genetic misfits from all that past inbreeding.
Old 11 April 2005, 01:45 PM
Moray
Scooby Regular

Not to mention The Duke of Edinburgh - Racist ****. I bet he is in the Free Masons also. lol
Old 11 April 2005, 03:55 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Well I have Total respect for them. And the people that work for them. Like Hedgehog says its everyone involved that makes it work.
Old 11 April 2005, 04:02 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

but they dont do anything worthwhile
Old 11 April 2005, 04:02 PM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

Agree with SiPie here, Royals = expensive waste of time ..

.. most of them are a bunch of inbred germans who basically waste lots of tax payers money

I'm sure I could wave to folk in a chauffeur driven limo for about a billion pounds a year

Avalyn
Old 11 April 2005, 04:08 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

But its not just about driving around in posh cars. Its about preserving and continuing the history of this country.
I truly believe that its one of the only things left that makes Great Britain Great.

I hope we have a royal family for generations to come.
Old 11 April 2005, 04:30 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I don't mind the immediate royal family so much (they do help with tourism I suppose), but it's all the hangers on (dukes, duchess's, earls etc) that really annoy me. Also, I don't personally believe that a person is "better" than someone else simply because they were born into a specific family. I know if I ever met the queen, (very unlikely I know ) there's no way I'd bow, or look upon her in awe. I'd just say hiya queeny

Off to the tower I go....
Old 11 April 2005, 04:35 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

thats exactly my view too, they think they're "better" than other people, and anyone like that doesnt get the time of day in my book...
Old 11 April 2005, 04:43 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by paul-s
thats exactly my view too, they think they're "better" than other people, and anyone like that doesnt get the time of day in my book...

Why do you think that? I think there are far more chav-celebs that think they're better than other people. Haven't seen eny evidence within the royal family (as of now) that make me think this.
Old 11 April 2005, 04:53 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Unless you have actually met them and had a real conversation there is no way you can judge their personalities. They do a good job in representing us when they do their public duties and there is a lot more to that then waving from a car! See how you would like having to host banquets for foreign luminaries and have to make speeches etc. I think you would soon be fed up with all that.

I think it is very unfair to be so rude about someone you have never met and your inverse snobbery is the worse kind and is totally unjustified.

Les
Old 11 April 2005, 06:04 PM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

Little bit overstaffed that Windsor Castle though eh? They have two guys employed full time who's job it is to clean the fenders and light the fires!!!
Old 11 April 2005, 06:53 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Unless you have actually met them and had a real conversation there is no way you can judge their personalities. They do a good job in representing us when they do their public duties and there is a lot more to that then waving from a car! See how you would like having to host banquets for foreign luminaries and have to make speeches etc. I think you would soon be fed up with all that.
Actually, I have met Prince Andrew a couple of times, (at charitable gigs where I've been playing in the band etc) and have had quite a long conversation with him. So there :P

I think it is very unfair to be so rude about someone you have never met and your inverse snobbery is the worse kind and is totally unjustified.
Les
I wasn't aware that treating everyone in exactly the same way regardless of their parentage was called snobbery these days, or that stating that fact was defined as rude. I always thought it was exactly the opposite
Old 12 April 2005, 09:35 AM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

Hosting banquets for foreign luminaries .. yeah right like the Queen puts her apron on and does all the cooking

Making speeches, sure she spends hours and hours researching all these speeches and they're not written for her by somebody else

I don't have any form of inverse snobbery and don't think that the royal think they are better or worse than the rest of us.

My mother in law has met the Queen and the relatives a number of times and says that they are OK as people .. I just don't agree with the whole royal thing really ... mind you I wish I could employ someone who's job it is to wipe my royal *** ..

Avalyn.
Old 12 April 2005, 11:54 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Since nobody has yet produced an effective response to my previous post, I stand by what I said in it.

Les
Old 12 April 2005, 11:57 AM
Moray
Scooby Regular

Since nobody has yet produced an effective response to my previous post, I stand by what I said in it.

Les
Do you know the Duke of Edinburgh is racist and a Bigot? He opens his big mouth and doesnt seem to care what he says!!!
Old 12 April 2005, 12:12 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

What Leslie said.

I'm suprised that people aren't aware that the Royal family cost the tax payer almost nothing nowadays. The civil list has been cut right down to only include a few royals. Prince Charles (IIRC) takes nothing.

The billions they generate in tourist revenue more than makes up for it. They also make many many people very happy every time they go out in public. How many people remember meeting a royal for the rest of their lives? How many people came to London to cheer the Queen during the jubilee?

Thankfully anti-royals are in the vast minority, even if SN has more that it's fair share.

Last edited by Jerome; 12 April 2005 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12 April 2005, 12:15 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Moray
Do you know the Duke of Edinburgh is racist and a Bigot? He opens his big mouth and doesnt seem to care what he says!!!
A little misguided and loose with his tongue, I agree. Bigot? I don't think so (look it up in the dictionary). Anyhow some of his comments have had me in stitches. Laughing at him not with him I might add.

While he was with a group from the British Deaf Association who were standing near a steel band, he pointed to the musicians and said: "Deaf? If you are near there, no wonder you are deaf."

In 1995 he asked a Scottish driving instructor: "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the test."

In 1966 he provoked outrage by saying: "British women can't cook."

In 1969 The Duke said to Tom Jones after the Royal Variety Performance: "What do you gargle with, pebbles?".

At a private lunch given 30 years ago he said he thought Adam Faith's singing was like bath water going down a plug hole.

"Your country is one of the most notorious centres of trading in endangered species in the world." (in 1991, in Thailand, after accepting a conservation award)

"If it has got four legs and it is not a chair, if it has got two wings and it flies but is not an aeroplane, and if it swims and it is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it." (at a 1986 World Wildlife Fund meeting)

"Bloody silly fool!" (in 1997, referring to a Cambridge University car park attendant who failed to recognise him)

"You are a woman, aren't you?" (in 1984, in Kenya, to a native woman who had presented him with a small gift)

"They must be out of their minds." (in 1982, in the Solomon Islands, after being told that the annual population growth was only 5%)

He said of Canada: "We don't come here for our health. We can think of other ways of enjoying ourselves."
Old 12 April 2005, 12:25 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Political Correctness is the art of convincing people not to tell the truth while also convincing them that the other stuff they are hearing is the truth. It results in a country that wouldn't know the truth if it saw it and that is built upon a foundation of lies. I guess it suits those without the imagination or intelligence to work the world out for themselves, all they need do is believe what they see on TV. Needless to say that suits many people.

We see this a lot in the developing rural-urban divide where most in the urban areas believe that the people in the country are just custodians of something that they have the right to treat as they wish. Many in the towns also believe that the country is entirely inhabited by fluffy pink cute bunny animals and it wouldn't be PC to say otherwise. I was in the middle of a bog up to my knees yesterday and there was nothing fluffy, pink or cute about it but I did manage to kill my dinner.
Old 12 April 2005, 12:41 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Les
What would you judge as an effective response then Leslie?

I have met and talked with some of the "royals", (Anne and Andrew, and Fergie once - although I know that doesn't count any more ). As people they seem ok, (difficult to form a firm opinion after only a 15 minute chat or so), and they do a fair amount of work for charity etc which is commendable, but that doesn't mean that I have to like the institution that goes with them.

I still fail to see why people put them on a pedestal and treat them as though they are better than us simply because they were born into that family. Just highly priviledged people with lots of money really.

It was an interesting program though
Old 12 April 2005, 12:59 PM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

they are better than everyone.... thats why they are royal. Just accept it... its in their blood
Old 12 April 2005, 01:03 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Avalyn
Hosting banquets for foreign luminaries .. yeah right like the Queen puts her apron on and does all the cooking
She is the host not the bloody cook. Someone who entertains doesnt necessarily hve to cook and clean as well does she.

Making speeches, sure she spends hours and hours researching all these speeches and they're not written for her by somebody else
Same could be said for all leaders of industry, governments etc. Or do you really believe they werite all that stuff themselves.[/quote]

Take a look at the bigger picture and youll see that the Royal family is a great asset to the country and has and will be for many years.

Chip

Avalyn.[/QUOTE]
Old 12 April 2005, 01:08 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by suprabeast
they are better than everyone.... thats why they are royal. Just accept it... its in their blood
Old 12 April 2005, 01:15 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by suprabeast
Actually I don't think that they would presume to be better than anyone, just more fortunate.

In my experience it is the people in the middle who like to think they are better than everyone, and who want everyone to know it, who are the problem.
Old 12 April 2005, 01:23 PM
A&E
Scooby Regular

I'm with Leslie on this one. I think the Royal family do a fantastic job representing the UK on formal occasions - both visiting others and hosting in this country. Their job does not strike me as easy, and unlike the rest of us their career was chosen for them.

I don't believe they think they're better than the rest of us either. I have a great deal of respect for them, especially after seeing the TV documentary.

I can think of many other celebrities in the UK who would make cringe-worthy ambassadors for us....
Old 12 April 2005, 01:25 PM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

Chip .. I was only replying to a previous post that said how difficult is must all be ... sure turn up to speak to a few folk at lunch or read a speech in front of a camera .. jeees major effort required there

A great asset to the country .. almost correct remove a couple of letters at the end

Avalyn.

Quick Reply: The Queens Castle