Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Yamaha YSP-1

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2005, 08:08 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yamaha YSP-1

after feedback for the unit, wife isn't happy about having speakers everywhere for 5.1.. and was reading stuff mag, and saw the Yamaha YSP-1.

Anyone had any experience with one of these?

and what sub would you recommend to go with it?
Old 05 April 2005, 11:00 PM
wrx davs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

I've had some experience with them (mate and hi-fi shops you know how it is) was impressed needed a decent sub say £500 ish but for the money something like Monitor Audio Radius small sats and denon amp sounded much better.
Just my opinion though.
Old 06 April 2005, 08:15 AM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

just the wife doesn't want speaker cables everywhere, so seemed the ideal solution.
Old 06 April 2005, 08:20 AM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChristianR
just the wife doesn't want speaker cables everywhere, so seemed the ideal solution.
She'll soon change her mind when she sees the size/uglyness of the YSP-1!

Some discreet M&K K5s or K4s would be less obtrusive - better still the KEF 2005.2 eggs. Nice aluminium housings and not too harsh a sound either despite that. £100 each for the KEF eggs or £600 for the eggs and sub. Or £160 each for the K5s and £475 for a pair of K4s.

You know it makes sense...
Old 07 April 2005, 12:05 AM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

well i have the pioneer 434 plasma on the wall in black, and i see you can mount the Yamaha on the wall as well, so would fit nicely under it.

any links to the speakers u mention? what about wireless speakers?
Old 07 April 2005, 08:57 AM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChristianR
well i have the pioneer 434 plasma on the wall in black, and i see you can mount the Yamaha on the wall as well, so would fit nicely under it.

any links to the speakers u mention? what about wireless speakers?
Wireless speakers would be nice, but I can't see it happening. You'd need transmitters to plug into the amp which would have wires on them and you'd need receivers to plug into the speakers too. Besides - I don't know if you can transmit "Wattage" over radio waves? I'd have thought the signal would have been compressed to the point that having a £10k amp (which I don't have!) would be pointless as they'd be only as good as the wireless gear...

Anyway - the M&K's can be seen here: http://www.mksound.com/surround_speakers.php (near the bottom) and the KEFs can be found here: http://www.kef.com/KHT/KHT2005.2/home.htm

Both are great sets of speakers. KEF's are £600 with the sub and M&Ks would be £955 without.

Check out http://www.avforums.com/ if you wanted load of opinions of the above. Very lively forum and some good advice there too.