Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Air India

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2005, 02:09 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Air India

These are the cheapest by far, for a direct (return)flight to JFK New York, im guessing this if for a reason. !

Has anyone flown long distance with them and can provide some helpful info on quality, service and how comfortable the journey was?

I guess the flights are more expensive as i want to go over May Bank Holiday.

Cheers
Old 05 April 2005, 02:11 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JFK.....

Indian!
Old 05 April 2005, 02:16 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
JFK.....

Indian!
OI dont you muppetise this perfectly good thread.

go and play in the other threads you.
Old 05 April 2005, 02:20 PM
Vette_76
Scooby Regular

Location: On Mars...in a cave....with my eyes shut....and my fingers in my ears!!

I flew Air India Business Class from Heathrow to Mumbai - then internal to Bangalore a couple of years ago!!

Service was ok - not as good as "bigger" airlines, but quite acceptable.

Seats weren't the best - they didn't recline as far as other airlines I've flown and started getting uncomfortable after about 5 hours!!

Food was good - IF you can stand eating indian food for EVERY meal!! Tha t might sound good at first, but when you've been flying for 12 hours, you're tired, bored and already a bit queasy.....the last thing you want for breakfast is some weird spiced tofu thing!!

They were MUCH cheaper than the alternatives though (BA, Lufthansa)!!
Old 05 April 2005, 02:30 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

Old 05 April 2005, 03:05 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

You get what you pay for. Cousin flew from Gatwick to JFK, said it was OK, but could see why it was so cheap, not a patch on other airlines out there.

As It's only around a six or seven hour flight, you'll probably be ok.
Old 05 April 2005, 03:09 PM
Vette_76
Scooby Regular

Location: On Mars...in a cave....with my eyes shut....and my fingers in my ears!!

Fly virgin - I flew Heathrow to JFK last October, and I can honestly say they had the fittest air hostesses I've ever seen!!

Last edited by Vette_76; 05 April 2005 at 03:09 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 05 April 2005, 03:10 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lpski1
These are the cheapest by far, for a direct (return)flight to JFK New York, im guessing this if for a reason. !
You can get BA direct return from heathrow to JFK for £230 inc taxes.... as long as you stay over a weekend and depending when you fly. Air india were more pricey than that when i looked..
Old 05 April 2005, 03:23 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Freak
You can get BA direct return from heathrow to JFK for £230 inc taxes.... as long as you stay over a weekend and depending when you fly. Air india were more pricey than that when i looked..
i do want to go over a weekend! May bank holiday weekend, there isnt one for £230 for love nor money. ! you find one and i'll chew your arm off for it.

Air India is the cheapest, ive just phoned a friend who is Indian and he wont even fly with them, so thats them out.

(mates reply) would advise NOT to travel with Air India, the worst airline i have heard of, family have told me, they are not renowned for time keeping. Food, you can have a choice, doesn't need to be indian...But in my opinion, i would NEVER travel Air India..

what about Kuwait Airlines then?
(mates reply) Kuwait - Want a rocket up your backside! - Just as dodgy, i would either go for a chartered flight, Continental or pay the money for commercial flights. eg ba/virgin

Old 05 April 2005, 03:34 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

I flown with most airlines and I would place Air India somewhere near the bottom as the fleet is old, the seat layout is designed to cram as many people in as possible and generally was uncomfortable.

As mentioned, fly with a more prominent airline.

Steve.
Old 05 April 2005, 03:38 PM
Vette_76
Scooby Regular

I'm telling you - Virgin Air (hostesses) are the way forward!!
Old 05 April 2005, 03:40 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

lpski1 - Hiya mate!

Long time no speak! How are you? Quite well by the sounds of it with a trip to New York coming up!

Oh yeah and....I wouldn't fly Air India.....just to keep it semi-on-topic
Old 05 April 2005, 03:45 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

cheers Steve

hi ya fozzy heard you was out menacing Telboy on sat in his home town lol. yep its been a while, cant believe hotpants is ditching the scoob after 6 faithful years lets hope the fix in the new beast is just as good, im sure you will be out comparing 0- god knows what speeds(private roads of course) oh and you wouldnt bother with Air India either, righto
Old 05 April 2005, 03:48 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

i do want to go over a weekend! May bank holiday weekend, there isnt one for £230 for love nor money. ! you find one and i'll chew your arm off for it.
aaaah your choice of weekend may have something to do with it...
I may be flying there the weekend after and price was as i stated earlier.

cheapest you can get for the may day weekend is £ 368.80 inc tax (Fri 29 April out/Tues 3rd back) www.BA.com
Old 05 April 2005, 03:56 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

Yep thats the same one i found Freak
Old 05 April 2005, 03:57 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

hi ya fozzy heard you was out menacing Telboy on sat in his home town lol. yep its been a while, cant believe hotpants is ditching the scoob after 6 faithful years lets hope the fix in the new beast is just as good, im sure you will be out comparing 0- god knows what speeds(private roads of course) oh and you wouldnt bother with Air India either, righto
I know! Couldn't believe it when he told me he was selling the scoob! I was helping him strip the Alpine Stereo gear out on the weekend so it looks like I might get some new stuff for mine! You getting back on the road soon?

Yeah we might have to have a look for some private road, although with the REVO Technik upgrade, that thing is rapid!!! Might have to wait until it is wet!

Oh yeah and I would recommend Singapore Airlines, very good last time I flew with them.
Old 05 April 2005, 04:09 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Is everyone really that thick ?
Old 05 April 2005, 04:29 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by lightning101
Is everyone really that thick ?
in a comparison to what or who ?

fozzy - you'll lose him on the twisty's now
Old 05 April 2005, 04:50 PM
tmo
Scooby Regular

Flew with Air India from Bombay up to Ahmadabad in the late 90’s I have never been so scared in my life.
Old 05 April 2005, 04:55 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by tmo
Flew with Air India from Bombay up to Ahmadabad in the late 90’s I have never been so scared in my life.
ok, thats enough for me on the bad reports. BA it is, sod the expense, or virgin and admire the lovely stewardess's
Old 05 April 2005, 04:58 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Done the route to JFK a few years ago with Air India. Not much wrong with it if you ask me. They're the only airline that doesn't require you to stay a Sat night in order to get a decent price.

The reason they're cheap is cos they don't use brand spanking new planes. So in-flight entertainment (the movies and stuff, not the stewardesses) isn't up to the std of Virgin's. But for the money it's fine. No prob with the service or the food. In fact, I've had worse service and food on BA.
Old 05 April 2005, 05:08 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

I want to know im going to make it though

Old 05 April 2005, 05:13 PM
redwrx
Scooby Regular

In the late 80's i booked to fly from London to Sydney with Air India. I travalled to London by overnight train, got to the airport, only to find the flight had been cancelled due to problems in Bombay. I insisted on them finding me another flight, or pay up all my expenses....as i wasnt travelling back.

To their credit, within an hour, they found me another flight, with Japan Air Lines - So i think Air India are wonderful. Oh, and their Japan airlines stewardesses were gorgeous also.

Shame the return flight was with Air India......tbh, it was ok, got me home in one piece, but true, it was no frills....... oh, and i got to like curry. As for price, they were well cheap compared to the big names......but at the time my holiday was on a budget... so Air India or no holiday.

Now though, for security, i would pay the extra....although with air travel theres always a risk.

Thats my two pence worth.

Frank
Old 05 April 2005, 07:07 PM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

LOL at this thread.

I took Air India from LHR to JFK a couple of years ago - I would not do it again. Going out there was fine, but the return leg meant boarding a flight going to Bombay, but stopping at LHR.

The staff were very good, food was excellent (I love curry) and we got there in one piece.

However, I could have murdered several of my fellow passengers (and seriously considered it!) there were about 5 million security checks, including a special one for your checked in luggage - AFTER you have checked it in. This involved opening it, extra x rays, you name it.

I am not small so the seats were very poor for me, the in flight entertainment was medieval, etc etc

Air India use the biggest and busiest terminal at JFK, so mile long queues, EVERYWHERE!

I went again to NYC a couple of months later, but used United, highly recommended, they have a great terminal (from touchdown to out of the airport in 15 minutes), the flights were cheap, everything was great.

Hope this helps.

Asif
Old 05 April 2005, 08:54 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

ive bounced this around a few travelled and in the know friends, also, apparently, Continental fly out of LHR but use Virgin as their carrier, as their main base for UK flight is LGW, so, cheaper flight booked with Continental and fly with Virgin sounds to me.

I like curry too, just not for 3 meals in one day
Old 06 April 2005, 06:46 AM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Their aircraft stink
Old 06 April 2005, 08:05 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Found a Continental flight from Gatick to Newark on a Boeing 777 for £322.20 for that weekend

(www.travelsupermarket.com)
Old 06 April 2005, 09:33 AM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobJenks
Their aircraft stink
very insightful, do you write for a magazine
Old 06 April 2005, 09:37 AM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Found a Continental flight from Gatick to Newark on a Boeing 777 for £322.20 for that weekend

(www.travelsupermarket.com)
it has to be JFK, im meeting someone there.

just ran it through Opodo and it returns £337 with Premium Economy may be available, does that mean i get a free foot rub

Old 06 April 2005, 09:38 AM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

Kuwait Airlines are actually very good - no money problems so they keep it all modern. They are dry though so no alcohol whatsoever. They also have very prominent armed air marshalls !

Surely the difference isnt worth not using BA, Virgin etc though ?

Quick Reply: Air India