Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rave review, LOST @ SEOne 27/3/04

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2005, 09:24 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Rave review, LOST @ SEOne 27/3/04

Having missed out on two of the biggest and best events in the country, I was determined to make the most of the weekend, particularly due to the fact it was a bank holiday.

However, as the dates in question approached, I still had not a clue where to go. Then I checked my email in a moment of boredom and my prayers were answered.

LOST was first brought to my attention a few years ago when Slammin Sam sacked off a Future Dance to attend and submitted a most arresting review of the events that unfolded. From that moment on I wanted to get to one in the fullness of time.

However, the powers that be put paid to any future attendance in the shape of cruel co-incidence that came with wanting to attend events from two different scenes.

It became a regular thing, LOST is a minimalist, purist Techno night which does not advertise. They dont flyer either. Up until a few years ago they didnt even have an email list, relying of word of mouth (most sucessfully I might add) to promote their events.

Thankfully an email list was available when I asked to be put on it. However it did not solve my problems as every (and I do mean every)time an event came up my involvement always ended with the words "Bollox! same night as xxxxxx".

The event became my unicorn, I could never capture it, attendance was always a dream, never a reality. Until this weekend that is. It was safe to say I was exhausted by the time I got back to London, but nothing was going to stop me heading to the SEOne for this party, especially when it was something a few hours sleep could sort out.

It, and a phone call to put me on the paying guestlist on thursday, all saw me making my way over London Bridge genuinely excited for the first time in a long time. Mostly this was due to the unknown factors surrounding the event. I had asked if the party was to be held in the "Deep Blue" arches, their answer was that is was held in "The corporate bit" up the other end.

I had no idea what to expect, In terms of music, atmosphere, venue and crowd attendance, all of it was a complete unknown. So it was heartening to round the corner of the entrance tunnel and see a queue comparable to a major event at the SEOne outside the entrance!

I eventually found the Paying guest list queue and soon enough a bloke came round and found my name on the handwritten list. He gave me a coupon which I exchanged for entrance for 16 quid.

A brief but light search later and I was inside. From here on in I was in familiar terratory. The entrance may have been different, but rounding the corner brought me into the grey (Jenkins lane) arch which had been designated the chillout room.

Further on, the main arena had been pressed into service as the, "Red Room" This turned out to be a literal translation as the decor was exactly as described.

No megabucks production here, 8 red Technobeams illuminated the crowd and that was it. No decor, just bare black walls. No laser, No merchandise stands, no Nitrous stall, the only thing that really caught my attention was the monstrous stacks providing the sound, that and the massive herd of techno ravers inhabiting the main room.

Apart from that, the decor was as minimal as the music. Just what was needed too, as the music was the focus of the event and I was determined to get as deep into it as I could. Eventually I found a spot near the main speakers and set about educating myself in the ways of the technoist.

I am the first to admit I am massively ignorant of what went on, however I will do my best to describe it as well as I can. Feel free to pick me up on anything should I get it wrong.

The first DJ on the decks could have been there to give an introduction to the event, as a set which had lots of old skool elements to it. His set composed of many different elements to the backbeat which dominated his and every other DJ's set.

Starting off with elements which were startlingly close to Altern-8's contribution to the music world, he then moved onto some very arresting funky vocal based tunes. After that it was a solid progression from exceptionally minimalist segments (at one point all we had was a bassline and a Hi-hat) through to Old skool pianos which got me VERY excited.

But that werent it though, he had a lot more tricks up his sleeve in the form of gloriously deep rave bass which I just dont here often enough, coupled with Euphoric trancy riffs which brought memories flooding back of my time spent at Antiworld, not to mention some infexious acid lines which, if I'm honest, was the whole reason I was there.

Finally he brought his set to a close with a complete lack of finesse. All he did was chop the tune dead and the crowd showed its appreciation with a huge roar.

The next DJ was equally unknown to me, but his set structure was something that definitely made him stand out. It seemed a favourite trick of his to include elements within his tunes that I, from a personal point of view) would not usually encompass in the techno genre.

However, its a testiment to the way he skillfully manipulated the crowd (and me for that matter) that the tunes remained danceable and thats exactly what the crowd did throughout his set.

Diverse and unusual was hall mark of this mans set, how many techno tunes you heard with bongos in them? It was a first for me at any rate. As well as that I was also appreciative of the serious industrial elements he inserted into his set, the mellow componants, the DnB basslines as well as the totally unexpected samba sounding stuff.

But it was the vocal tunes which really did it for me. "Crowd Rocker" was very well received, as well as "This should be played at high volume". With all of the above factored into his set, I was loving every minute of it by the time he was finished.

The final set of the night was, yet again, another unknown (to me at least) DJ who had been chosen to take the night to its completion.

This Dj was one of the more popular of the night as the random Itallian dude next to me said "This DJ is the best at Techno". On the strength of his set, I am inclined to agree.

The whole night was minimalist, but this set was especially so. As well as that, a distinct drop in BPM was also apparant. None of it seemed to matter to the crowd though, as the experimental sounds were continually well received by the crowd who had aboloutely no intention of leaving early.

This was one of the better aspects of the night. The sheer amount of people in the place was especially notable for a night I have never seen advertised before. This was at its peak at the end of the night too, none of this flaking out at 3am and going home early, techno ravers, it would seem have more endurance than most.

The final DJ was getting more than his money's worth from them though, with every subtle change in the music being accomapnied by a loud cheer and every occasion he brought the volume down, he was rewarded with a round of applause.

Finally, he brought his final tune "House Nation" down and the evening was brought to a close with the lights coming up, banishing the red murk and the crowd giving the Man behind the decks a well deserved round of applause.

The evening was over at an unusual 6.30 and the crowd made its way out the way it entered. On the way out the flyer massive was notable by its absence, but a black dude on the door gave me a business card on the way out. What did it say? www.lost.co.uk with the reverse specifying the date and headliners of the next party, but not the venue. The closest you're gonna get to the night advertising itself, but you know they will all turn up like this time, I'm going to be amongst them too.

Things I liked:

Novelty - Its nice going to a completely different event every once in a while and believe me, this was different. Awesome too while we're on the subject.

Sound - MASSIVE (like 12 foot tall) Eskimonoise stacks, plus further stacks halfway down the main arena to back em up. They pounded me all night long.

Crowd - I didnt know what to expect from them tbh, but once they were in their stride (and I admit that did take a while) they were, dare I say it, just as up for it as any Hardcore crowd. Everytime the subtlest change in the music occured, lots of appreciation and noise was forthcoming, without any MC demanding it either.

Music - It did take a while to get into, but once I was there, I was loving what was on offer. I dont think I've ever been to a dedicated purist techno night before. Going back though, oh yes.

Security - What can I say about SEOne security that has not been said before? The same short bald bloke was running things again and as usual everything was in order all night. To a point where security were letting people get on with things when they had been blatently caught. Nice one lads.

Things I liked less:

Set Times - Seeing as I had not a clue who was playing, nor did I have any idea what the DJs looked like, some set times could have been handy. Couldnt see any though.

Pretentious ******* - Some bloke came up to me and started ripping it out of me cos I was wearing my dayglo vest and dancing to the music. He Proceeded to tell me that "people were looking for me" and other such ****e. Maybe I should dress head to foot in black, wear NHS glasses, grow my hair long and not dance to please him. Not.

Performance of the rave - Erm, I havent a clue who his name was, but the final DJ of the night was something special to say the least. Lots of innovation and variation even made up for the drop in tempo.

Realising a dream that has taken as long as this often leaves you wondering what all the fuss was about. Not this time though. I knew I would be hearing minimalist techno and the surroundings would be spartan to match. Apart from that I had no idea what I was in for.

So it was all the better when I discovered the music was out of this world, the crowd were so up for it it was unreal, the decor and lighting was exactly what was needed for this sort of rave and the individual people, with only one exception, were friendly and just as glad to be there as I was.

But it was the music that really did it for me. Even though it was surprisingly slow on occassions and a completely different animal from Hardcore, not to mention most techno I have heard of late, it was a case of getting into the music and appreciating it for what it was.

It took a while, but eventually I got there. And then some. By the end of the night I was so far gone I just didnt want it to end. You can keep your K holes, Sunday night saw me in my very own T hole. It was deep. And right at the bottom there was just me and music.
astraboy.
Shouts to: Christina (Hungarian Massive), Marco (Italian massive), Richard & Gaye (nice talking to you two in the queue) and all the party crew who made the night what it was. I'll see you again soon.
Old 30 March 2005, 10:05 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Pretentious ******* - Some bloke came up to me and started ripping it out of me cos I was wearing my dayglo vest and dancing to the music. He Proceeded to tell me that "people were looking for me" and other such ****e.
maybe he wasn't best pleased with the tarmac drive he thought you laid?
Old 30 March 2005, 11:35 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

I thought you would have been off to Transmission @ Alexandra Palace. That was amazing !! Wicked drum n bass, good hardcore and good frantic arena ! great venue !
Old 30 March 2005, 11:38 PM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

WHY AM I ALWAYS AT WORK WHEN THESE ARE GOING ON!!!

Already missed Vibealite and others so far... not fair!!
Old 30 March 2005, 11:42 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

book the time off mate !!! hardcore heaven room on saturday was bangin, the venue was absolutely huge ! best rave in ages !! sounds like the one astraboy went to was awesome too !
Old 31 March 2005, 06:18 AM
EXSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

why do you include these bizarre "shout outs "
do you think the "hungarian massive" read scoobynet?
and a dayglo vest ?
please tell me your joking ............ Seriously mate your living in some strange time warp back when raving was cool. I read this stuff you write and cringe
Old 31 March 2005, 08:47 AM
cactus jim
Scooby Regular

mate, is LOST still going?

i remember going to these religiously in the early 90's, venues like a weird warehouse with a lift to get to the different floors, saw those guys that play with busted up synthesisers over the top of Jeff Mills (when he actually came over!!) cant remember the name of the venue or the name of the dj's!! must have been good.

then my favourite was the richie hawtin 4 deck mix of SPASTIK/Helicopter in a warehouse in Chelsea with a bungee jump. cant remember the name of that place either. awesome night out.

some of my favourite nights were LOST and i am impressed they are still going, even if i have abandoned my hardcore outfits and prefer breaks now!

Trending Topics

Old 31 March 2005, 10:12 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

I couldnt go to Transmission, my bitch ex girlfriend was going to be there, so that was me not there then.

And yes, LOST is very much still on. I doubt I'd seen the Main arena at SEOne that busy and believe me I have been there on more than a few occasions. Try www.lost.co.uk and add yourself to the mailing list. Why? Well Jeff Mills is headlining the next event

And as for you EXSCOOBY, nobody is asking you to read these, you may be massively dissillusioned about the rave scene, but I am not. If you think I got into it to be "cool" then believe me you are wrong. And until I receive this fabled mix tape that will (allegedly) blow me away, I'll thank you to keep your opinions to yourself.
Still too scared to tell me your DJ name? Thought so
astraboy.
Old 31 March 2005, 02:29 PM
EXSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

how old are you and have you ever kissed a girl?
im 34 and remember and actually DJd at some of the original raves
ie raindance, fingertrap
ive also played at one of the best techno nights
the orbit in morley
Old 31 March 2005, 02:34 PM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

Yeah Transmission was quality! Proper banging night with excellent music in all the rooms!
Old 31 March 2005, 02:36 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

the orbit in morley
my brother used to frequent that place