Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Selling your car - where to meet?

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2005, 11:45 AM
Velryba's chick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling your car - where to meet?

Hi,

do you meet potencial buyers at your house?

Or just in case meet somewhere else? I was thinking like a Tesco's car par or something neutral.

What do you think?

Thanks
Kate
Old 31 March 2005, 11:47 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't buy a car unless I was able to see it at the address on the V5, it's a good cross-check that the seller is actually the legitimate owner.

Not sure if that answers your question, but it's a suggestion.
Old 31 March 2005, 11:50 AM
Velryba's chick
Scooby Regular

I would be thinking the same if I was buying.

But I'm selling ............. and i feel weird showing these people where I live and where the Scooby is parked

The potencial buyers could be anyone .........
Old 31 March 2005, 11:52 AM
Richard_P
Scooby Regular

A seller will be suspiciuous if they can't come to the place the car is registered to view it. I once called up about a car and wanted to go view it. The guy said it was kept in a garage by his workplace and he would meet me there, I aksed if I could view it at the registered address. He said no as he was working the next 10 days in a row. I didn't view it, maybe I'm overly suspiscious but it put me off.

Possibly meet them in a car park and if they turn up let them follow you back to inspect the car further.

Rich
Old 31 March 2005, 11:54 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

They'll know your address anyway once they see the V5!

Do it at home, have someone else there if you're nervous about visiting strangers.

Do it at home and the buyer will have more faith in you and less likely to walk away from a sale.

Most people will NOT be interested if you offer to meet in a supermarket car-park as most cars sold this way tend to be nicked and car buyers are more savvy these days.
Old 31 March 2005, 11:54 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd tell them that my house isn't that easy to find and to meet me at a petrol station and then they can follow me home. If I don't like the look of them loose them
Old 31 March 2005, 11:57 AM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

I understand your thoughts VC (if i was selling), and Andys (if i was buying).
Only do what u feel comfortable with. If the potential buyer doesnt have a problem with it ok and good.
If they do have a problem...explain your reasons..if they then ok it, all well and good.
If they dont like it and want to view as per Andy says, you better off having a decision all ready in your mind to say yes or no. If u dont feel comfortable say no immediately.

Trending Topics

Old 31 March 2005, 12:08 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Just meet at home, make sure you have someone with you, maybe park another car behind it.

If you say you want to meet somewhere and they ask why, hardly a big sales point if you say it's because the risk of theft.

One of the drawbacks of a private sale, if you are really bothered take it for part ex.
Old 31 March 2005, 12:10 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dread selling the Impreza privately ...... the tyre kickers, wasters, test pilots and thieves are a concern!

Make sure you have someone else with you ......... and when you swap-over the driving take the keys OUT the ignition and walk around the car with them to the passenger side ................ if you have any doubt, just don't let them drive it at all (remember insurance will only be 3rd party at best!)

Pete
Old 31 March 2005, 12:20 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

You might do well to be a bit picky about where you advertise too. At least if you place an ad somewhere like SN, you can see who's interested and get an idea whether they've been around a while and expressed a genuine interest in the car beforehand. If someone just phones up 'out of the blue', you don't know anything about them.

I was fortunate enough to sell to a guy off the SIDC forum, who had owned a scooby for a few years but had his old car stolen. He looked over the car carefully but didn't even want to drive it - sorted
Old 31 March 2005, 12:21 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

As above I wouldnt meet anywhere except the owners house, too dodgy for the buyer. As for not letting them drive it, would you buy a 10,15,20K car without driving it? Just make sure they are insured thats all.
Old 31 March 2005, 01:45 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I was thinking about this recently due to an armed carjacking which happened to a Scooby owner quite local to me whilst on a test drive. Would it be too paranoid to ask for the interested parties car reg no. and address prior to the visit, which would allow you to possibly get the Police to check they match. They don't have to tell you anything specific (data protection ), just whether the 2 details you have supplied them a would arouse any suspicion to the Police. You could also enter the reg no. into that RAC checker to see if the reg is from a stolen/write off. When they arrive, you could greet them outside the house with a digital camera, take a quick snap and then hand the camera to someone in the house. I certainly wouldn't be letting them drive it, unless they arrange F/C insurance for the day. If you haven't got Tracker, stick a mobile in the glovebox. The Police can, with your authority request the service provider to identify which cell the phone is in (I think). Or, you could just go down to the dodgiest pub you know and pay the local armed robber to be present on the test drive
Old 31 March 2005, 02:13 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Kate,
I can understand where you're coming from, not wanting to show the buyer where you live, just in case they are a bit dodgy.

I've just sold my passat and I met the buyers outside my apartment building, I gave them the address of the building but not my apartment number, just in case. I'm also lucky that to get into the building you need to go via security, so any dodgy types would not be able to get in

What you could do is to meet them somewhere neutral and if they want to purchase the car, then go back to the house to sign the paperwork, that would allow them to check that the address matches that on the V5, plus if you've sold the car and got the money, it does not matter if they know where you are.
Old 31 March 2005, 02:17 PM
Velryba's chick
Scooby Regular

Hi Markus,

I was thinking what you've said.

Meet them somewhere else and if they look like genuine buyers take them home.

I'm still not sure about the test drive........
Old 31 March 2005, 02:31 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

As for the test drive, well, get a friend to come with you as well, if there are two of you then someone will think twice about trying to pull a fast one.

I had a man and woman come to view the car and had Rose with me, so whilst I went with a drive with the chap, the woman stayed and chatted with Rose.

When I was selling the wagon I had my brother with me, and had him come on the test drive as well, just in case.
Old 31 March 2005, 02:35 PM
Richard_P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Velryba's chick

I'm still not sure about the test drive........
Difficult one, I've sold a couple of cars privately, reasonably quick cars worth a few grand. I've said to potential buyers unless you can show me fully comp docs to show your covered then its a careful drive around my housing estate and a local industrial estate.

Basically all they need to do is check brakes, gearbox, clutch etc you can take them out for a longer run to show them the car performs ok etc.

None of the viewers for my cars had a problem with this method and I didn't get anyone trying to drive like a maniac either.
Old 31 March 2005, 02:37 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

as above, sold my TVR with 5 min drive up and down the road...then took him for a longer drive.

as i sell my cars on ebay the others where easy as they didnt drive them before buying....even the £20k BMW was bought without a test!
Old 31 March 2005, 02:41 PM
Velryba's chick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
as above, sold my TVR with 5 min drive up and down the road...then took him for a longer drive.

as i sell my cars on ebay the others where easy as they didnt drive them before buying....even the £20k BMW was bought without a test!

I am just about to advertise on e-bay. That's great you sold the £20k car there!!!
Is e-bay popular / good place to sell / buy cars?

Thanks
Kate
Old 31 March 2005, 02:46 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

I can understand the concern. I sold both my old impreza and evo 6 privately, and you do get your fair share of worrying enquires (e.g. "where do you live mate, I'll come down after work with £20k in cash to buy it?" or "can you drive over to my place in Cricklewood to show me the car?") and time wasters who don't show up.

However if you want to meet at a petrol station or supermarket car park you will put legitimate buyers off. And is it going to stop potential car-jackers, or stop someone following you home, or a confidence trickster who appears to be a genuine buyer but who then tries to pass off a dodgy bank draft? No.

I would suggest just giving people your home address and taking sensible precautions when they go for a test drive.

Gary.
Old 31 March 2005, 02:46 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Strange Q personally, would dream of buying a car without seeing it at its registered address, on the same hand if I was a seller I wouldnt be too concerned about people coming to look at the car at your home, what are the chances? even with a car like a scoob? I had mine for sale for a month before 1 person came to view it (it wasnt tatty either or priced silly) had 1 person come after 1 months worth of advertising and they took it there and then, you should know if someone is seriously interested just from what they ask on the fone prior to coming
Old 31 March 2005, 02:57 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

i bought a reasonably expensive car (15k) from a guy and it was being stored at a garage, never saw his home. but visited his bank with him, the manager knew him as he worked for a local family business. it seemed dodgy to me even though he was in no way dodgy himself.

just be careful and take sensible precautions - remember, thousands of people sell cars privately every week. you're not the first.