Blame the Parents

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2005, 11:25 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blame the Parents

Anyone else watch this last night?

Not sure what Channel it was on but approx 9pm last night. I actually ended up turning it off as I couldnt believe the parents of these kids.

One kid threw a paddy if his mum didnt cook him a fried breakfast every day, if the egg was cooked wrong hed throw it across the room. His mum wakes him up and he start kicking and hitting her. His dad shouts at him face to face and he replies "get some moutwash bitch". Dad doesnt even respond.

All they did was tell him off a few times and then let him get his own way again and they wonder why hes like that.

Dont get me wrong, I dont have any kids but I have friends and family who do and see how they deal with their children.

Unbelievable.

Simon.
Old 25 March 2005, 11:28 AM
*Cino*
Scooby Regular

Aye, it's terrible, got to start very young with children and be very persistant.

Can be VERY hard but it's for the better of the child in the long run.

I was terrified of my parents when young (only when you got them mad of course)

Theres just none of that these days from what you hear.
Old 25 March 2005, 11:31 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Yep I agree. I know the nanny state we live in has reduced what parents can actually do physically but these parents were just clueless. I guess its all down to how you were brought up yourself - if you dont know any better then no one is going to teach you. Admittedly they had signed up to parenting course (which is what the program was about).

I used to push my mum, but then Id get grounded, no pocket money, no tv (worse than no money). And if she ever had to get dad to speak to me I knew Id done something real bad. Yet my parents didnt beat me or whip me with a belt. From day one I knew if I did something bad I would get punished for it.

Simon.
Old 25 March 2005, 11:40 AM
*Cino*
Scooby Regular

Parents should ignore the cissy "don't do this" "this is illegal now as we have decided", parents are respnsible for their own children and should bring them up as best they can, I was smacked when really naughty as a child and that worked wonders!! I'd not do it again after that! It's letting the kids know who's boss from day one thats the trick.

and if they threaten you or tell you to use mouthwash you then walk them to school the next day with all their belongings in an oxfam bag
Old 25 March 2005, 12:24 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That bloke blubbing when his fat, ugly, tattoed Heffa told him to Get Out!!

You wouldn't see me for dust!!

Bunch of losers!

Pete
Old 25 March 2005, 12:25 PM
Kellicious
Scooby Regular

The boy you have mentioned has ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder). He was not behaving like that just for the hell of it and you have to be very careful how you treat these children. Most of the other kids were quite simply little bast ards, but a couple of them mentioned in the programme were suffering from ADHD. Telling them off and reacting to what they do just makes them worse. If you'd have watched the programme in it's entirity, you would have been made aware of this.
Old 25 March 2005, 12:29 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kellicious
The boy you have mentioned has ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder). He was not behaving like that just for the hell of it and you have to be very careful how you treat these children. Most of the other kids were quite simply little bast ards, but a couple of them mentioned in the programme were suffering from ADHD. Telling them off and reacting to what they do just makes them worse. If you'd have watched the programme in it's entirity, you would have been made aware of this.
I admit I didnt watch all of it. But the parts I did watch showed the parents saying they thought it was all down to ADHD but when they started using cameras and seeing what he was up to, said a lot of the time he was just taking the ****.

His own brother said he asked him and he openly admitted he just played up.

BTW (and Im being serious here) - how is a kid diagnosed as having ADHD rather than just being badly behaved? Im off to Google to read up but you seem to know a bit about it.

Simon.

Trending Topics

Old 25 March 2005, 12:31 PM
Spring Heeled Jack
Scooby Regular

Location: was he a creature, an alien, or a man wearing some strange costume and a hidden jumping apparatus

The boy you have mentioned has ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder). He was not behaving like that just for the hell of it and you have to be very careful how you treat these children.
That's a politically correct load of nonsense if ever I heard it. A good slap would sort these sorts out.

Jack.
Old 25 March 2005, 12:33 PM
Kellicious
Scooby Regular

I have a brother who suffers from ADHD, and yes, he's a little ****. But you have to forget about that aspect and concentrate on why he behaves like he does. I am not saying that these children shouldn't be reprimanded for what they do, but you have to be careful about how it's done. There are classic symptoms of ADHD, which you will read about when you Google it. It's not always easy to differenciate, but after a while it becomes clear.
Old 25 March 2005, 12:35 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Im back. Found this:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/info/mhgu/newmhgu5.htm

I still find it hard to believe that you can blame that childs behaviour fully on this genetic order (which even the above article says you cant really diagnose). If his parents didnt bow down to his every request he would soon get the picture. As they were told to do by the woman running the course. Things improved then she deviated from the plan and back to normal.

I wasnt saying beat the blighter but at least provide some consistency between parents from day one.

Simon.
Old 25 March 2005, 12:35 PM
Kellicious
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spring Heeled Jack
That's a politically correct load of nonsense if ever I heard it. A good slap would sort these sorts out.

Jack.
A classic symptom of ADHD is the fact that these kids are very strong, and they know it. If you start smacking them about, they'll turn round and clout you twice as hard. I have seen it happen with my own eyes in my own family, and it was also aired on the programme last night. Smacking kids about isn't doing anyone any good, especially in that kind of situation.
Old 25 March 2005, 12:40 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

A classic symptom of ADHD is the fact that these kids are very strong, and they know it. If you start smacking them about, they'll turn round and clout you twice as hard. I have seen it happen with my own eyes in my own family, and it was also aired on the programme last night. Smacking kids about isn't doing anyone any good, especially in that kind of situation.
I know I only have last nights program to base my opinions on but the lad in questions mother was getting hit and kicked (not at all hard by any means but none the less) and she did nothing but say no. No attempt to stop him or properly tell him off. And he didnt even try it on his dad as he knew he wouldnt stand for it - which to me says it all.

Maybe Id see things differently if I had first hand experience.

Simon.
Old 25 March 2005, 12:46 PM
Kellicious
Scooby Regular

My mother used to get threatened with knives and god knows what. She used to **** herself. She is of the same build and height as me. Which is a small frame, and 5'3" in height. My brother on the other hand has a large frame and is way over 6ft high. He has one hell of a clout on him, and if she had attempted to stop him while he was going at her, she would have probably ended up in hospital with serious injuries. He's attacked me before now, and I'm not generally too afraid of this kind of thing, but I would run a mile from him, because I *know* he would seriously hurt me. The kid in the programme was about 14 I think, and even then he would have some serious force behind him. If I was his mother, I'd do exactly what she did. Can you imagine living with something like that? Of course it's probably different for a bloke, but did you notice how (apart from mouthing off at him), he never once laid a finger on his dad? And that's exactly how it is.
Old 25 March 2005, 12:49 PM
Spring Heeled Jack
Scooby Regular

Location: was he a creature, an alien, or a man wearing some strange costume and a hidden jumping apparatus

Deliquents of this sort should be institutionalised until they learn some self disipline.

Simple.
Old 25 March 2005, 12:55 PM
Kellicious
Scooby Regular

And it's attitudes like that, that make the problem worse. Shoving them into an institute and hoping the problem will go away, rather than facing up to it.
Old 25 March 2005, 12:59 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

There was a show on about a year and a half ago with a little girl how had "ADD". The Doctor had prescribed the drugs and it still wasn't working. Turned out the Kid had never (since she was born) been cuddled by her mum and her mum had married someone that looked like my great-grandad.

Super Nanny (or whatever she was called) sorted out the familys problems - which were nothing to do with the Kid .

I'm not throwing stones here - But I've come across parents with kids that they say they can't control - But I can - and it doesn't involve hitting anyone - Tone and looking like you mean it when you say you're gonna kill the little ****** works a treat.

You have to catch them young - If they are fcuked by the time they get to 5 then they'll probably stay fcuked
Old 25 March 2005, 07:36 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I just felt sad for the whole feckin lot of them. That thick single mum with 6 kids (one living in foster care for some of the time). Just so glad I have a normal family. And of course none of those kids will have a clue when they are parenting age i.e. 14 plus They were way beyond the "give em a good slap and they will know who's in charge" stage. The women running the course seemed to know her stuff but I would like to have seen her take over a household for a couple of days and put some of her own ideas into practice. DL
Old 25 March 2005, 08:20 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

"Give me the child till he (she) is seven and I will give you the man (woman)".