Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Still over the limit 3 days later!

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2005, 10:13 AM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still over the limit 3 days later!

Just finished watching some crappy daytime TV programme with Lowri Turner. It was a phone-in piece about addiction - "Can you control addiction or can you crack it?"

Not surprisingly, a lot of people rang in to say they had conquered the demon drink. Chap rings in from Southampton to say he used to drink a bottle of Vodka and 2 bottles of wine a day . During this time he was a flying instructor .

He realised enough was enough and went to an AA meeting not having had a drink for 3 days. On the evening, they had a device (presumably a breathyliser - he didn't say) to show how long alcohol can stay in the system of a person who has a problem . He rocks up and measures a staggering 342mg per 100ml - about 4 times over the legal limit, 3 days after he had his last drink.

Now over it (allegedly) and hasn't touched a drop for 12 years.

Puts my own 25 units a week into perspective.

Cheers
Kav
Old 25 March 2005, 10:40 AM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

he mustve been a serious guzzler to have that much in his system. If you drink loads for years and years would that make it stay in your system for longer/be retained for longer and build up ?
mate got done for dd the other week and his was 81 i think, he'd had loads as well. 342 is high
Old 25 March 2005, 11:50 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Sooner or later it catches up though, might be a good few years ahead but when it does happen its a real wrench to have to wave your liver goodbye, especially when you cant get a transplant for love nor money!

Les
Old 25 March 2005, 03:35 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
you cant get a transplant for love nor money!
Shame they aren't like kidneys. Nice little earner then
Old 25 March 2005, 05:23 PM
Nev
Scooby Regular

"he mustve been a serious guzzler to have that much in his system. If you drink loads for years and years would that make it stay in your system for longer/be retained for longer and build up ?
mate got done for dd the other week and his was 81 i think, he'd had loads as well. 342 is high"

If I recall correctly, alcohol demonstrates what is known as zero order kinetics, i.e. no matter what you do, it will be cleared from the body at a constant pre-defined rate. It's possible that years of abuse will have knackered his liver and slowed that overall rate down, but more than likely that result is a manifestation of accumulation caused by drinking day after day. Your mate's result is probably the result of a lot of beer being handled by an efficient liver. All IMHO of course!