Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2005, 07:39 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Are we becoming less immune

I was just reading the latest "I'm sick" thread
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=412013

Now if I'm lucky I will usually have 1 cold a year, which under normal circumstances doesn't stop me from working.

Since November I have had 4 separate colds, and had a couple of days off due to the "strength" of the cold, the same can be said for lots of friends and family, and obviously work colleagues.

I got home from work last night and the house stank of Garlic, yes another cold in the house the Mrs has it and has been munching roasted Garlic to aid her recovery, personally I don't think it works but it stinks your house out and sleeping next to the person that ate all those cloves is not a pleasant experience as they gently breath their poisonous stench in your direction.

Is it that the strains of these virus' have become stronger and better at attacking our immune system or as a race is our immune system becoming weaker, if Bird flu were to arrive on our shores could it take out hundreds/thousands whose immune system is already weak after suffering a handful of colds this winter?? any Dr types who'd like to pass comment??

Dave
Old 25 March 2005, 08:15 AM
rgv_stu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i aint a doctor but i reckon were too 'clean' and as a result makes us more susceptable to infection. astma / hayfever etc seems to be more common than ever.
parents go nuts if a kid eats mud etc, its probably good for them in the long run?
Old 25 March 2005, 08:53 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Good advice hutton d.

Les
Old 25 March 2005, 09:35 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Totally agree re the GP comments, they just want to shove pills down our throats and get the next punter in, my 19 month old daughter had a cold during the winter and a nasty cough the Doc said she had Asthma and prescribes inhalers and we're like WTF how can you say she's asthmatic, she wasn't !! also agree with the comments on mud and grass, the amount of things I have pulled out of her mouth!! we had a small party last summer for her first and one of my friends, a mother, was so uptight, a crisp had hit the grass and her daughter went to grab it and put it back in her mouth it was "STOP SPIT IT OUT" and then she berated her husband for not noticing LOL.

I must do 8 pints of water a day, I love the stuff and have plenty of fresh fish, veg and so on so I have a healthy nutritious diet (apart from the choc ) I have no choice as my missus is a health freak and with her being intollerant to Wheat Yeast and Dairy so I have no choice in eating properly but still the colds kept coming, which made me think we are becoming less immune. I'll be joining my daughter in the garden having a munch on some mud or the odd stone later

At least its nothing like Mark16v has got in his thread
Old 25 March 2005, 10:01 AM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Well, just to hijack this thread in the same manner as i did the other ....

I was talking to one of the nurses while I was in the Coronary Care Unit. He said that he'd worked there for 4 years and he's noticed, even in the last two years only, quite a dramatic increase in the number of 30-somethings and 40-somethings that they were seeing...I'm the latter BTW!

Apart from family history, the main causes of heart attacks are smoking, high blood pressure, high cholestrol, physical inactivity, weight, alcohol and salt...
...which all look IMHO to be pretty likely side effects of the current lifestyles of this age bracket - and therefore maybe a lot of us on SN

Take care....
Old 25 March 2005, 10:04 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii

......and with her being intollerant to Wheat Yeast and Dairy
A tad ironical?

Trending Topics

Old 25 March 2005, 10:07 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

More wine anyone Seriously I think you are right, and if that bird flu were to land on our shores I would hate to think what sort of chaos/panic that might incure.
Cheers
Colin
Old 25 March 2005, 01:03 PM
GM
Scooby Regular

Speaking to a friend who is a Gp about this sort of stuff a while ago. He's convinced that we ARE too "careful" with kids these days. Once upon a time kids were exposed to all kinds of germs and things - and we developed a strong immune system because we had to!
Old 25 March 2005, 01:34 PM
rgv_stu
Scooby Regular

think back 50 years and most people had a larder not a fridge and meat was left out to hang !! didnt do them much harm imo