Pure Bug DAB Radio

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2005, 12:11 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pure Bug DAB Radio

http://www.thebug.com/

Anyone got one of these? Look pretty good to me. Will it let you set it to save any programme with a certain word in the title, 'Lamacq' for example? Is it easy to set a one off timer recording? What's the sound quality like? Comparible to a mini hifi or is it as bad as my alarm clock radio?

Many questions sorry!

Cheers,

Ben
Old 14 March 2005, 01:53 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

The sound from the speakers isn't brilliant, but it has optical out if you need good quality. Recording is timer or push the record button only, quality of the recording is very good. If you get one, update the software online, it adds a whole bunch of nice features. Oh and the alarm has a nice tone and easy to fumble for snooze button.
Old 14 March 2005, 03:24 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Thanks Jack, will give one a try.
Old 14 March 2005, 03:34 PM
Christian_Driver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyster
http://www.thebug.com/

Anyone got one of these? Look pretty good to me. Will it let you set it to save any programme with a certain word in the title, 'Lamacq' for example? Is it easy to set a one off timer recording? What's the sound quality like? Comparible to a mini hifi or is it as bad as my alarm clock radio?

Many questions sorry!

Cheers,

Ben
What attracted me to it over other potentially cheaper DABs was the ability to record to SD card, play MP3s, and the looks.

I'm generally happy with mine, but I have a couple of gripes:

- While it will play MP3s, it doesn't have a decent playlist function. Makes it difficult if you want to drop an album on it, or even just choose the order in which tracks are played.
- The quality of recording is good, but you have to be careful which SD card you buy. Not all are supported by Pure, and as I found to my cost, not all work 100% (I got a 512MB Bytestor one, that doesn't always record). I think the list of supported cards is on the Pure website.
- As noted previously, the speaker quality isn't great (but certainly a notch above a clock radio!).

All in all, I'd probably recommend it, if you can get one at the right price.
Old 14 March 2005, 05:53 PM
WRX-Mark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
The sound from the speakers isn't brilliant, but it has optical out if you need good quality. Recording is timer or push the record button only, quality of the recording is very good. If you get one, update the software online, it adds a whole bunch of nice features. Oh and the alarm has a nice tone and easy to fumble for snooze button.
How did you manage to update the software?