Brunstrom must now resign says Safe Speed

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2005, 12:03 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Brunstrom must now resign says Safe Speed

Brunstrom must now resign says Safe Speed

The Sunday Mirror reports that Chief Constable Brunstrom - the man most responsible for speed camera policy - has declared that:

"Enough's enough, speed cameras aren't cutting road deaths". Safe Speed has been pointing this out since 2002 - Brunstrom's statement is years late.

Paul Smith, founder of the Safe Speed road safety campaign

(
www.safespeed.org.uk) said: "Halting the expansion of speed cameras isn't enough. If the scheme worked expansion would work. The fact is that the negative side effects of speed cameras are GREATER than the potential benefits. We now have to scrap the lot to get road safety back on track. They are a dangerous distraction from good driving and good policy. If speed cameras had never been introduced, UK road deaths would be down to about 2,200 per year by now - just by following the previous long term trend."

Paul continues: "I'd like to hear Mr Brunstrom say: 'I was wrong, I'm sorry, I resign.' No man of any conscience could do less."

Paul joked: "I guess he's been reading our website."

Safe Speed calls for all speed cameras to be scrapped because they are directly and indirectly responsible for increasing road deaths. All speed camera operations must be suspended immediately. Only then can we get back to the policies that gave us the safest roads in the world in the first place. Drivers need to hear messages about skills, attitudes and responsibilities. Obeying the speed limit is absolutely no guarantee of safety, And cameras haven't even increased speed limit compliance to any significant degree.

<ends>

Mr Brunstrom is head of the Association of Chief Police Officers

(ACPO) road policing committee.

Sunday Mirror article: http://tinyurl.com/5mosc

Old 14 March 2005, 12:16 PM
blueone
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be warned continued and repeated breaches of the terrorism securty act 2005 will see all doubters of Governmeant or more specificly at this moment 'HRH Tony Blair the I' held indefinately without charge, or trial, or right to silence, or right to protest, or right to see the evidence agaisnt you, or right to free legal aid...

...ad finitum
Old 14 March 2005, 12:27 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

He said similar at a speech for the IAM....they we ready to rip him to shreds when he turned up and said the above.

Perhaps the real Brunstrom has been kidnapped and an imposter has took his place?
Old 14 March 2005, 12:31 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Blimey

That's got to rank up there with 'Saddam Hussein captured alive' in the list of newspaper headlines we never thought we'd see.

I wonder what's rattled him. People just don't have sudden attacks of common sense.

Maybe he's got flashed by a speed camera?
Old 14 March 2005, 12:37 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

didnt he drop an offensive remark against minoritys the other day

gave an appology, was it accepted??

mart
Old 14 March 2005, 12:39 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Unreal, common sense at last but will it make any difference?
Old 14 March 2005, 01:13 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
didnt he drop an offensive remark against minoritys the other day

gave an appology, was it accepted??

mart
See here. Not sure if the gay community will forgive him completely though.
Old 14 March 2005, 01:34 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Just read that link. Im sorrry but from:

"The Gay Police Association is shocked and disappointed that Chief Constable Brunstrom should use such abusive and insulting language,"
did I read correctly that all he called homosexuals was queer? Some crime against minorities

Don't have any time for the man with his provenly wrong stance on 'safey cameras'. He may be a w@nker for this, but I doubt calling someone queer is abusive and insulting language, whatever next
Old 14 March 2005, 01:50 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

It does seem an over reaction, especially as he apologised immediately he said it.

Why he felt he had to apologise at all is odd though, it's not as if he said "I hate all queers", it was just a word he used.

They are so touchy! Just like women. Hang on a minute..........

Geezer
Old 14 March 2005, 02:20 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

but the gays are cool with TV shows like Queer Eye for the Straight Guy????
Old 14 March 2005, 02:23 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

It's not like most of them don't ponce around saying "look at me, I'm queer" but if a straight person says it, oooh, that's not allowed. Just like it's ok for a black chap to call a white chap a cracker, but if we call him a ****** back, ohh lordy, it's like we enslaved his people... wait a min.... (though something tells me that it was actually their own kind that sold them to the white man in the first place, but christ in a bag if you try telling them this)
Old 14 March 2005, 02:25 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
Just read that link. Im sorrry but from:

did I read correctly that all he called homosexuals was queer? Some crime against minorities

Don't have any time for the man with his provenly wrong stance on 'safey cameras'. He may be a w@nker for this, but I doubt calling someone queer is abusive and insulting language, whatever next
The modern Police force is ultra politically correct though. One force banned officers from using the term "flip chart" in case it offended Philipinos, FFS.

He is supposed to set an example for his officers to follow, and the use of a banned word is not exactly setting a good example.

Having said that, I'd rather see him taken to to task over his views on motorists.
Old 14 March 2005, 02:27 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Back on topic for a moment, it strikes me as odd that Safe Speed of all groups should be calling for his resignation now. Surely what they've wanted all along is someone in his position who understands that "We have 6,000 cameras in the UK covering every identifiable hotspot, yet road deaths have gone up", and that "We can't keep on going until there is a camera on each lamppost. We've got to stop somewhere."

I'm warming to the guy already - and that's certainly not something I thought I'd ever do when I woke up this morning
Old 14 March 2005, 02:27 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
It's not like most of them don't ponce around saying "look at me, I'm queer" but if a straight person says it, oooh, that's not allowed. Just like it's ok for a black chap to call a white chap a cracker, but if we call him a ****** back, ohh lordy, it's like we enslaved his people... wait a min.... (though something tells me that it was actually their own kind that sold them to the white man in the first place, but christ in a bag if you try telling them this)
Sailing close to the wind again Markus?

(As you said the other day, 'bout time we had a beer and a ruby methinks!)
Old 14 March 2005, 02:29 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
Back on topic for a moment, it strikes me as odd that Safe Speed of all groups should be calling for his resignation now. Surely what they've wanted all along is someone in his position who understands that "We have 6,000 cameras in the UK covering every identifiable hotspot, yet road deaths have gone up", and that "We can't keep on going until there is a camera on each lamppost. We've got to stop somewhere."

I'm warming to the guy already - and that's certainly not something I thought I'd ever do when I woke up this morning
I wouldn't say I was warming to the guy, just slightly above absolute zero now.

I am impressed though, given his previous stance and outspoken views, that he has had the courage to admit he was wrong.
Old 14 March 2005, 02:45 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Don't forget there is an election coming up. It would get the motorist back on side if the government 'listened' and stopped installing any more cameras.

Also, hedgehog mentioned that this might happen as part of paving the way to the introduction of ISA.

***BEWARE - IT'S A TRICK!!***

UB
Old 14 March 2005, 09:27 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Jerome,
maybe a tad Seems the fish are not biting

You're spot on, ruby must be on the cards and soon, plus season 5 and 6 of RD are out very soon as well, so once I have them, and have watched them, I'll get them to you. Oh, I need 1 - 4 back, got to educate Rosie. She's currently being indugled in Coupling and loves it
Old 15 March 2005, 08:35 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is true however that vehicle operated warning signs of your actual speed do more than anything else to slow motorists down in constricted areas. Not many drivers like to see their excessive speed flashed up for all to see.

We have a few of those around here so I have had plenty of chance to see them in action.

Les
Old 15 March 2005, 02:21 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://icnorthwales.icnetwork.co.uk/...name_page.html
Old 15 March 2005, 05:54 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Selective reporting, eh? OK, let's see the WHOLE of the 3-year report on accident causes, then.
Old 15 March 2005, 07:41 PM
DEEDEE
Scooby Regular

The way I see it, is that all these Scameras are slowing people down and causing congestion. That is the problem, this P*ick has cut his own throat by highway robbery fleecing the motorist in the name of road safety, people are now wise to where they are situated and drive accordingly. If your going to speed your not going to do it with a camera up your ****.
Old 16 March 2005, 05:17 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

put a speed camera outside every school and burn the rest.
Old 17 March 2005, 11:41 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

As long as when the cameras are brought down there is an equally efficient method for capturing the law breakers who insist on speeding then all is well.
No point taking them down until a viable enforceable method for speed control is brought in.
I'd love an overview of how cameras cause road deaths - I find that concept hillarious - sounds to me like safespeeds emporer got caught speeding by a gatso one day and started a crusade against them under the cloak of road safety.
Anyhoo - the cameras wont come down for many many years because they generate revenue and reduce road speed and certainly in my neck of the woods are sensibly placed in order to reduce accidents.
In a perfect world there should be SPECs on every road or maybe a speed limit system linked to an inbuilt gps system in every car which recognises the speed of the road youre on and doesnt let the car exceed it... Fitting of the device mandatory - unless your a consciencous objector in which case you are sent to an island where there are no cars and hairy women called Edna and Doris...I shall fetch my finest toothpicks.
Old 17 March 2005, 12:14 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Surely in a perfect world, drivers would all be trained to choose a speed that was appropriate and safe for the prevailing conditions, so there would be no need for hard and fast speed limits at all?
Old 17 March 2005, 01:47 PM
Vipa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
As long as when the cameras are brought down there is an equally efficient method for capturing the law breakers who insist on speeding then all is well.
No point taking them down until a viable enforceable method for speed control is brought in.
I'd love an overview of how cameras cause road deaths - I find that concept hillarious - sounds to me like safespeeds emporer got caught speeding by a gatso one day and started a crusade against them under the cloak of road safety.
Anyhoo - the cameras wont come down for many many years because they generate revenue and reduce road speed and certainly in my neck of the woods are sensibly placed in order to reduce accidents.
In a perfect world there should be SPECs on every road or maybe a speed limit system linked to an inbuilt gps system in every car which recognises the speed of the road youre on and doesnt let the car exceed it... Fitting of the device mandatory - unless your a consciencous objector in which case you are sent to an island where there are no cars and hairy women called Edna and Doris...I shall fetch my finest toothpicks.
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=409528