Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Wake up and get a life..

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2005, 10:08 AM
lem0ncurd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Wake up and get a life..

After seeing the latest 'Expensive watch' post, I feel compelled to post myself, mostly in despair.

Is it me, or are people slowly becoming sadder and sadder? Why are so many poeple obsessed with 'keeping up with the Jones' and portraying some ridiculous image of wealth and self importance!? Why are people so vain and so shallow that they are so preocuppied with what other people might think of them, and living up to other's expectations?

I think it's so laughable when people spend time comparing their expensive watches and boasting about how much they spent on them. Be realistic - there is only one reason why you would spend that much money on a watch that is no better than a £100 Seiko - you buy it purely so that you can wear it on your wrist as a trophy - "Look, I spent £5000 on a watch, I'm really cool"

People always come up with the old; "yeah but, the quality's so much better" as a justification for the expense. Yet, if you lived alone on a desert island, are you telling me that you'd still hanker for your Rolex, with no-one to show it off to? Don't kid yourself, you aren't buying a watch for it's supreme quality, you're buying it for the Brand and the perceived exclusiveness that it carries.

Now don't get me wrong, I am often the first to buy 'the best', but only in cases where paying the extra is going to apportion some significant extra benefit. For example, I would rather spend the extra on a 'top end' mountain bike, becuase the components will all be lighter and work better for longer, hence making the bike more of a pleasure to ride. But image, never comes into it.

Why don't people just relax and enjoy themselves, without worrying about this constant pathetic charade of trophy wearing and image paranoia? I can guarantee, life's so much sweeter..

Mart.
Old 10 March 2005, 10:17 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Grabs popcorn, lies back
Old 10 March 2005, 10:21 AM
XT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
Grabs popcorn, lies back
Sits next to Dracoro and offers him some M&Ms
Old 10 March 2005, 10:24 AM
Southern Guy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by XT
Joins with the Bucket sized Coca Cola.

Waiting for the lights to dim....
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Takes all sorts, Mr Curd. You're entitled to your opinion, but it doesn't make you empirically "right". Plenty of people are *very* happy indeed, even with lots of those nasty material assets...
Trashman
Scooby Regular

I've got the beers... <drags in crate>
Old 10 March 2005, 10:26 AM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

Just admit it, your only jealous cause you cannot afford one!
Old 10 March 2005, 10:27 AM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
...lies back
Originally Posted by XT
Originally Posted by Southern Guy
Waiting for the lights to dim....
Realises it's all getting a bit too friendly and leaves!

PS: I'll dim the lights on my way out
Old 10 March 2005, 10:27 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

It's their money to do with as they like. Does it hurt or effect you? No. Let people do what the hell they want then. "Wake up and get a life.." I'd say you are worse for letting it bother you.
Old 10 March 2005, 10:28 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lem0ncurd
I think it's so laughable when people spend time comparing their expensive watches and boasting about how much they spent on them. Be realistic - there is only one reason why you would spend that much money on a watch that is no better than a £100 Seiko - you buy it purely so that you can wear it on your wrist as a trophy - "Look, I spent £5000 on a watch, I'm really cool"
On that premise what does my £24.99 Luton Airport purchased, quality timepiece say about me then?

Anyway what's the point in having money if you can't spend it on nice things that make you feel good? If the feelgood factor comes from the percieved impression that other people are impressed by your purchases then I guess that's ok - if a little shallow
Old 10 March 2005, 10:29 AM
lem0ncurd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Takes all sorts, Mr Curd. You're entitled to your opinion, but it doesn't make you empirically "right". Plenty of people are *very* happy indeed, even with lots of those nasty material assets...
That's the thing, I enjoy material things as much as anyone - my point is that people buy things based on the image that they portray and what other people might think of them, rather than for the pure enjoyment that that item might bring.

That's what's so sad..
Old 10 March 2005, 10:32 AM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Can't afford a nice watch mate? Don't worry! I'll let you have a look at mine.

By your reasoning, you'd always buy the cheapest of EVERYTHING. Why buy Heinz beans over Tesco Value?! Taste nicer? Is taste any more important to YOU than looks are to anyone else? Didn't think so!
Old 10 March 2005, 10:33 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

STi wanna Subaru. spot on... some people eh I spent (or should I say the misses spent thanks chuck ) £500 (OK its not half as much as some watches) on a Tag watch which has lasted me since I was 21, so 4 years up to now, before that twice a year Id spend £70 on your average decent quality watch before it was scratched to buggery... So in fact your wrong, you do pay for what ya get. if Id not had this Tag I would have spent so far £560 on the average watch. so Id be £60 out of pocket already and the Tag is still going strong...

And yes your right, some of it is for the fact that I have a nice smart watch on my wrist? problem with that? Jealousy? maybe, only you can answer that....
Old 10 March 2005, 10:36 AM
Gav1
Scooby Regular

Mr Curd,

Only an assumption but do you drive a Scooby as you're posting on here?? If so is this not materialistic? Why not drive a Fiat Panda which would get you from A to B in just as much comfort but without the " look at me" factor.

Gav.
Old 10 March 2005, 10:38 AM
lem0ncurd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mad_dr
Can't afford a nice watch mate? Don't worry! I'll let you have a look at mine.

By your reasoning, you'd always buy the cheapest of EVERYTHING. Why buy Heinz beans over Tesco Value?! Taste nicer? Is taste any more important to YOU than looks are to anyone else? Didn't think so!
No, you obviously didn't read my post. I said it's crazy buying expensive things purely based on the image that they portray and to keep up with the Jones'. But obviously, if there's extra added value in a more expensive item, then it makes sense to pay more. I buy Heinz beans over Tesco Value, for a reason, they taste nicer, not because I have to have the best brands in my shopping trolley.

You see the difference!??
Old 10 March 2005, 10:40 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

That's the thing, I enjoy material things as much as anyone - my point is that people buy things based on the image that they portray and what other people might think of them, rather than for the pure enjoyment that that item might bring.

That's what's so sad..

In my opinion, buying FAKE quality products is the heinous crime. But it's virtually impossible to buy ANY quality product without somebody (ahem) accusing you of buying it for the perceived image, when in fact there might be a lot of other factors involved. Nobody forces anyone to be materialistic - and if you aren't, just be happy with all the money you're saving.
Old 10 March 2005, 10:44 AM
Patriot
Scooby Regular

The difference between a Rolex and a fake is quite hard to spot, but I know which one I would like to own, if I had £2500 burning a hole in my pocket I would buy one, pure quality....Ive got a £100 Sieko and it's a **** timekeeper.

Martin
Old 10 March 2005, 10:45 AM
Southern Guy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
STi wanna Subaru. spot on... some people eh I spent (or should I say the misses spent thanks chuck ) £500 (OK its not half as much as some watches) on a Tag watch which has lasted me since I was 21, so 4 years up to now, before that twice a year Id spend £70 on your average decent quality watch before it was scratched to buggery... So in fact your wrong, you do pay for what ya get. if Id not had this Tag I would have spent so far £560 on the average watch. so Id be £60 out of pocket already and the Tag is still going strong...

And yes your right, some of it is for the fact that I have a nice smart watch on my wrist? problem with that? Jealousy? maybe, only you can answer that....
Nice call Dave, I went to Thailand a few years ago and brought back 3 Tag watches well watches with TAG written on them, all for the perseption of being able to afford that kind of thing. Even though they cost me about a tenner lasted me for roughly 3 months in the end(CHEAP RUBBISH!!)

Build quality means something in the end, not just what is on your wrist.

I like buying RL Jumpers, and levi jeans, they are more expensive, but i know they will last me longer in the long run.

Everyone buys different foods in say Sainsburys, Tescos, Asdas they all do value food, now even though alot of people turn noses up at that, at the end of the day it isnt a money thing it is a taste thing, and being human you get a right to do WTF you like.
Old 10 March 2005, 10:46 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Sieko? LOL, you've been ripped off with a fake one then!! Most Seikos are excellent timekeepers, and WAAAY better in that respect than Rolex, in my experience.
Old 10 March 2005, 10:47 AM
lem0ncurd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt

Fine, if you're buying a watch based purely on the extra quality and longevity then it makes sense, but I don't think most people do.

It's so funny that everyone's saying "you're just jealous, you obviously can't afford one" When I see someone with an overpriced "Trophy" I just think, oh dear you must be so insecure to be so concerned with what other people think.

As I said, I'm happy to pay if the extra cost is gonna bring me added value. For example, I bought a brand new P1 3 years ago. I bought it for the sheer performance that the car had, and the unrivalled driving pleasure that the car would bring me. Not because I wanted a badge on my sleeve. If that had been the case, I'd have bought a Mercedes or Audi.

M.
Old 10 March 2005, 10:49 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

A sad persons corner
Old 10 March 2005, 10:50 AM
Southern Guy
Scooby Regular

Not because I wanted a badge on my sleeve. If that had been the case, I'd have bought a Mercedes or Audi.

M.
Have I got time to grab some more popcorn, opened a can of worms with that one.....
Daryl
Scooby Senior

... the components will all work better for longer, hence making the watch more of a pleasure to own. But image, never comes into it.
You appreciate the expensive bike for what it is, why can't the same be said of a watch? And have you never heard of appreciating the aesthetic qualities of something?
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Fine, if you're buying a watch based purely on the extra quality and longevity then it makes sense, but I don't think most people do.

It's so funny that everyone's saying "you're just jealous, you obviously can't afford one" When I see someone with an overpriced "Trophy" I just think, oh dear you must be so insecure to be so concerned with what other people think.

As I said, I'm happy to pay if the extra cost is gonna bring me added value. For example, I bought a brand new P1 3 years ago. I bought it for the sheer performance that the car had, and the unrivalled driving pleasure that the car would bring me. Not because I wanted a badge on my sleeve. If that had been the case, I'd have bought a Mercedes or Audi.

M.

You're answering your own questions here. YOU don't perceive an Impreza to be a trophy - MANY other people do. YOU are assuming a nice watch is a trophy when in fact you could be a million miles away from the truth.

You need to clarify in your own mind the distinction between perception and assumption. I don't think you've done that yet.
Old 10 March 2005, 10:51 AM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Dunno about Mercedes, but I'd say people by Audi's for the simply amazing built quality. I've had an A4 for nearly five years now and not one thing has went wrong with it in 80,000 hard miles, It's still on the original windcreen wipers and discs. The P1 was like every Scoob back then, built to a price. Hence why the paint fell of the front of them all. I think you've just shot yourself in the foot with that comment.
Old 10 March 2005, 10:53 AM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

I bought a brand new P1. I bought it for the unrivalled driving pleasure that the car would bring me.
M.
Should have bought an Evo VI, then I'd believe you
Old 10 March 2005, 10:55 AM
lem0ncurd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daryl
You appreciate the expensive bike for what it is, why can't the same be said of a watch? And have you never heard of appreciating the aesthetic qualities of something?
But that's the whole argument!!!

I value a more expensive bike, for the extra properties that that bike has and the extra benefits that it gives - nothing to do with image.

My argument, is that it's sad that people are so insecure that they are obsessed with buying things based on their perceived image, not for the extra value that they bring.

If I lived alone on a desert island, I would enjoy and value my expensive mountain bike equally, but who would care about owning a £5K Rolex in the same situation!?

You see my point!?

Mart.
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

No, you obviously didn't read my post. I said it's crazy buying expensive things purely based on the image that they portray and to keep up with the Jones'. But obviously, if there's extra added value in a more expensive item, then it makes sense to pay more. I buy Heinz beans over Tesco Value, for a reason, they taste nicer, not because I have to have the best brands in my shopping trolley.

You see the difference!??
You seem to ba assuming that peoplpe buy expensive watches 'just to keep up with the jones'.
You also mention that it is ok to buy the more expensive item if there is added value in buying that product.

When it comes to watches surley a person can feel better with themselves while wearing a Rolex in comaprison to wearing a seconda, this in itself is 'added value'. There is also the added value of robustness, shinneyness factor, less scratcheable, more likely to be looked after, guarenteed for life etc...

I do not buy expensive watches, but sunglasses are my thing. I have probably spend >£1000 on the past 3 years on sunglasses. I do it beacause I appreciate that added qualtity of the product and the fact they look good.

And anyway, I buy the best of stuff because I AM THE JONES'S. People are trying to keep up with me and all my expensive toys, NOT the other way around.

Patriot
Scooby Regular

lem0ncurd
Scooby Regular

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL Nice one Schuey!

What is a Troll?

An Internet "troll" is a person who delights in sowing discord on the Internet. He (and it is usually he) tries to start arguments and upset people.

Trolls see Internet communications services as convenient venues for their bizarre game. For some reason, they don't "get" that they are hurting real people. To them, other Internet users are not quite human but are a kind of digital abstraction. As a result, they feel no sorrow whatsoever for the pain they inflict. Indeed, the greater the suffering they cause, the greater their 'achievement' (as they see it). At the moment, the relative anonymity of the net allows trolls to flourish.

Trolls are utterly impervious to criticism (constructive or otherwise). You cannot negotiate with them; you cannot cause them to feel shame or compassion; you cannot reason with them. They cannot be made to feel remorse. For some reason, trolls do not feel they are bound by the rules of courtesy or social responsibility.

Sound like anyone Micky?..

LC

< ahem>
Old 10 March 2005, 10:56 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

M.
But a £2500 rolex will probably last longer than my Tag so why not spend £2500 on a rolex if u can afford it? like I say I did buy it for the quality of the watch but ALSO for the fact that its a smart watch, I picked a particular brand that I liked, thought was cool etc..... so what? have u got a 32" TV in your front room? why not buy a 28" TV? or a 14" TV thats the quality is just as good (unless your a nit picking AV geek) so you bought a P1.... there are plenty of other cars that can offer the same driving ability as that for probably alot less dough... you could have bought alot more things saving pennies over a P1....

Quick Reply: Wake up and get a life..