Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

FAO ajm - Blair must now be your pal :D

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2005, 08:39 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAO ajm - Blair must now be your pal :D

Question is, will he get praised or damned for this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4333381.stm
Old 09 March 2005, 08:42 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by That BBC news site
The Westminster government has already raised the age for owning an air gun from 14 to 17, while creating a new offence against possessing an air weapon in public places and banning gas-cartridge airguns.
Does this mean, as I infer it, that CO2 cartridge airguns are not legal?
Old 09 March 2005, 09:00 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imlach
Question is, will he get praised or damned for this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4333381.stm
The first thing he has said or done for some time that I don't condemn.

However, I don't trust him to ensure that knee-jerk legislation doesn't get rushed through.
Old 09 March 2005, 09:04 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
Does this mean, as I infer it, that CO2 cartridge airguns are not legal?
Apparently not, according to the Met Police site (at the bottom):

(3) Prohibition of certain Air Weapons
The Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003 Sec 39 creates an additional category of prohibited firearm, to be added to Sec 5 of The Firearms Act 1968.
The new subsection is Sec 5 (1) (af) and reads as follows…
Any air rifle, airgun or air pistol which uses, or is designed or adapted for use with, a self-contained gas cartridge system.
From 20 th January 2004 it will be an offence to manufacture, sell, purchase, transfer or acquire any air weapon using a self-contained gas cartridge system.
Anyone who already owns one of these weapons on that date will be able to keep it legally, only if they obtain a firearm certificate from the police. Applications for firearm certificates must be made before 1 st May 2004.
Alternatively, existing owners can hand their weapons into police for disposal. Again, this must be done before 1 st May 2004.
From 1 st May 2004 it will be an offence, punishable by a minimum of 5 years and a maximum of 10 years imprisonment, to possess a self-contained gas cartridge weapon without the necessary firearm certificate.
What is being banned:
The ban applies to any air rifle, air gun or air pistol that uses, or is designed or adapted for use with, a self-contained gas cartridge system.
From 20 th January 2004 it will be an offence to manufacture, sell, purchase, transfer or acquire such a weapon.
From 1 st May 2004 it will be an offence to possess one, unless it is held on a firearm certificate.
What is NOT being banned:
The ban does NOT apply to weapons that use CO2 bulb systems because CO2 bulbs do not contain a projectile and are not therefore completely self-contained.
Old 09 March 2005, 09:06 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

It's a trick, don't be taken in by it.

They know that we know that they want to ban everything - but - there is an election coming up.

Wait till the election is over. Then see what happens.
Old 09 March 2005, 09:09 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jerome
Apparently not, according to the Met Police site (at the bottom):

(3) Prohibition of certain Air Weapons

The Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003 Sec 39 creates an additional category of prohibited firearm, to be added to Sec 5 of The Firearms Act 1968.

The new subsection is Sec 5 (1) (af) and reads as follows…

Any air rifle, airgun or air pistol which uses, or is designed or adapted for use with, a self-contained gas cartridge system.

From 20 th January 2004 it will be an offence to manufacture, sell, purchase, transfer or acquire any air weapon using a self-contained gas cartridge system.

Anyone who already owns one of these weapons on that date will be able to keep it legally, only if they obtain a firearm certificate from the police. Applications for firearm certificates must be made before 1 st May 2004.

Alternatively, existing owners can hand their weapons into police for disposal. Again, this must be done before 1 st May 2004.

From 1 st May 2004 it will be an offence, punishable by a minimum of 5 years and a maximum of 10 years imprisonment, to possess a self-contained gas cartridge weapon without the necessary firearm certificate.

What is being banned:

The ban applies to any air rifle, air gun or air pistol that uses, or is designed or adapted for use with, a self-contained gas cartridge system.

From 20 th January 2004 it will be an offence to manufacture, sell, purchase, transfer or acquire such a weapon.

From 1 st May 2004 it will be an offence to possess one, unless it is held on a firearm certificate.

What is NOT being banned:

The ban does NOT apply to weapons that use CO2 bulb systems because CO2 bulbs do not contain a projectile and are not therefore completely self-contained.

Thank **** for that!

Thanks Jerome, was a bit worried after reading the 5 year stretch thread recently as I've got a Magnum rep parked at my mum's place somewhere. Had it for years and rarely used it but had a horrible image of my mum getting raided by the ARV team. The BBC site wasn't very clear. I take it it must be the Brocock system that's fallen foul of the law. Can't for the life of me see why though. Almost got one of those myself but I thought the brass 'cartridges' were seriously overpriced at the time.
Old 09 March 2005, 09:29 PM
Angry
Scooby Regular

These puppies?