Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Volunteering?

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2005, 08:00 AM
ex D Brown
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Volunteering?

Looking for some feedback from yer experiences.....

Starting to plan a career break, it's a while away yet (prolly 2007 at the end of current project) and will be 4-6 months. Me and my Mrs would like to do some volunteering. Not thought too much about it yet but the outline is:

- as far away from gap-year Jacquettas and Ruperts as possible (we are mid 30s and "normal" folk)
- much removed from my daily life (so no oil & gas engineering projects!)
- not too expensive (still gotta pay mortgage)
- something that will make a difference
- Mrs B is keen on something ecological, I'm more interested in humanitarian needs.

So, any of you fine folk like to share your experiences (on here or pm)?

cheers
Pa

Last edited by ex D Brown; 09 March 2005 at 08:02 AM. Reason: added email notification
Old 09 March 2005, 08:32 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

1. WorldWide Volunteering (WWV), a registered charity since 1994, has a unique online database with information for people of all ages on over 1100 voluntary organisations in the UK and worldwide · over 350,000 potential full time placements each year,projects varying in length from a week to a full year or more.It is ideal for gap years,as an introduction to the world of work.for holiday periods for citizenship and community action programmes, as a career break.Visit our online database at www.wwv.org.uk for more information.2005 is the ’Year of Volunteering’.
2.www.challengesworldwide.com
3.Greenpiece
4.Groundworks

Hope it helps.
Old 09 March 2005, 08:40 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

BTW, so far experience is concerned, Its very enjoyable and worthwhile experience.I used to advise on volunteering as well and therefore I do realise that volunteering is becoming more and more expensive.Some big organisations are ready to pay expenses but many other organisations are expecting you to pay for your expenses and travel by yourself.I do find it a bit cheeky unless work is involved in Third World.Some UK based charities are expecting you to do this and that by involving your own funds.I do not agree with this.Reasonable expense is ok but not all kind.
So, research and go for what you can do and are interested.
All the best