Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Gym Question

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2005, 09:36 AM
SeanT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Gym Question

Ok Ive been taking the advice of people on here in regards to diet, exercise and supplements and so far all is going well....Im eating plenty of protein everyday, gym 3 times a week and been using Cyclone for about 3 weeks...all looking good so far my question is will I being doing any harm by upping my sessions to 4 times a week, the problem being I cant go at the weekend due to family ciommitments so it has to be during the week

Thanks
Old 08 March 2005, 09:44 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you running a split-routine or full body each session?

I'm not seriously into lifting weights, but you just need to watch you don give your body enough rest - that's the important bit and don't overtrain.

If you're doing a split, then Milo, Super_Si would be the best people to advise on how to split over 4 sessions.

Stefan
Old 08 March 2005, 09:45 AM
crofty
Scooby Regular

Hi ,I trained 4 times a week for years, you dont say if your fitness/ cardio training or body building, I body build so I make sure I rest the various body parts trained for about 72 hrs before training them again, I have now cut back to 3 times a week as Im an old git now and need more time to recover
Old 08 March 2005, 09:50 AM
SeanT
Scooby Regular

Talking Training type

Im doing purely weights and no i havent been doing split sessions, I really consider myself a novice in doing things properly hence the questions......I never feel tired when i do go to the gym and always have quite an intense workout....maybe split sessions are an idea??...anyone?

Originally Posted by crofty
Hi ,I trained 4 times a week for years, you dont say if your fitness/ cardio training or body building, I body build so I make sure I rest the various body parts trained for about 72 hrs before training them again, I have now cut back to 3 times a week as Im an old git now and need more time to recover
Old 08 March 2005, 09:57 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my amateur opinion I'd say 4 full body workouts wouldn't be a benefit to you. You simply can't work an individual body part as intensely.

You shouldn't be tired going into the gym, but you should be later on as your body begins the recovery process.

Milo's your man to talk in detail, but I reckon you'd be better splitting the routine.

Stefan
Old 08 March 2005, 10:53 AM
SeanT
Scooby Regular

Talking GYM

Oh yeah and another question why im about it, with the supplements do you just take them on days you go to the gym or every day?

Ta
Old 08 March 2005, 11:01 AM
STI-R/A
Scooby Regular

Hi mate you would probably better over on www.muscletalk.co.uk but anyhow...

If you are just weight training and want to gain solid muscle try a spilt like this:

Mon: Back + Biceps

Wed: Chest + Triceps

Thurs: legs

Fri: Traps/ Shoulders

Go for heavy weights of which you can do no more than 6 reps. Do 4 sets of 6 or even 5 sets of 5 if you want to go heavier.

I would bin the Cyclone mate and just get yourself some quality whey protein available at www.musclefinesse.com.

Take it with water when you wake up, after you train and before you go to sleep take it with milk. Take it every day.

You can also try creatine but only use it for 6 weeks at a time.

Dont forget your diet - this is 75% of the work - aim for 1.5 grammes of protein per pound of bodyweight.

Eat plenty carbs too: Potatoes, rice pasta etc.

Drink 2-3 Litres of water a day.

Hope this helps.
Old 08 March 2005, 01:15 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

chances are, if u up your training to 4 days you will overtrain and make no progress.

it sounds like you're doing a full body split 3 times a week... if thats the case then i'll be astonished if you aren't overtrained already (or on the verge of). are you making strength increases each workout?

simple heavy compound moves 2-3 days/week with a split is the ideal for most people. anything more is usually (and i stress usually) overtraining.
Old 08 March 2005, 01:34 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SeanT
Oh yeah and another question why im about it, with the supplements do you just take them on days you go to the gym or every day?

Ta
take as few supplements as you can.. real food is infinitely better.

do you REALLY think the top pros are taking the stuff they're advertising (usually not)?

the exceptions are multivitamin (better to be safe than sorry), whey and glucose post workout (real food cant be absorbed fast enough) and creatine (if you don't eat red meat).

everything else thats legal supplement-wise (which is about the other 100,000 supplements out there) is USUALLY a waste of money and you'd be better off spending your money on nicer/more meat instead.
Old 08 March 2005, 02:46 PM
SeanT
Scooby Regular

Talking 3 day split

Milo,

Thanks mate, dont really feel overtrained, but always open to advice from the pro's so could you suggest a good 3 day split for me??

Thanks

Originally Posted by milo
take as few supplements as you can.. real food is infinitely better.

do you REALLY think the top pros are taking the stuff they're advertising (usually not)?

the exceptions are multivitamin (better to be safe than sorry), whey and glucose post workout (real food cant be absorbed fast enough) and creatine (if you don't eat red meat).

everything else thats legal supplement-wise (which is about the other 100,000 supplements out there) is USUALLY a waste of money and you'd be better off spending your money on nicer/more meat instead.
Old 08 March 2005, 03:07 PM
EXSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

back biceps
chest triceps
is in my humble opinion a bad mix
i would train back with triceps
and chest with biceps
as chest pre exhausts the triceps and would generate only undue stress on the triceps being a smaller muscle anyway
unless grip is an issue and pre exhausting is desirable
i find back when trained corrctly is such a large muscle group (like legs)
that it neccessitates a full session to its self
Old 08 March 2005, 03:29 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

will I being doing any harm by upping my sessions to 4 times a week?
Nope.As long as you can hack it
Old 08 March 2005, 04:07 PM
STI-R/A
Scooby Regular

Exscooby its really each to his own i guess but i always find the push/pull method works well...

You are suggesting push and pull routines on the same day, i would have thought this was overtraining. Like i say each to his own, what works for you may not work as well for another...

All IMHO of course : )
Old 08 March 2005, 05:41 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Milo,

Thanks mate, dont really feel overtrained, but always open to advice from the pro's so could you suggest a good 3 day split for me??

Thanks
are your weights going up each session? thats the real indicator of whether you're overtraining or not.

a typical 3 day split would be:

mon - upper body push
wed - legs
fri - upper body pull

keep the volume low and the intensity high.