Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

segregation in our schools? wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2005, 10:51 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default segregation in our schools? wtf?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn1374262.html

Originally Posted by yahoo news
Black boys may have to be taught separately from their peers to help them do better at school, the Commission for Racial Equality has said.
anyone else find this strange?

jamo
Old 07 March 2005, 10:55 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He also called for more male black teachers, tempting them with extra cash if necessary.
Now if I was a teacher and this happened imagine how you would feel about it.
davegtt
Scooby Senior

make me laugh, that statement coming from the commision for racial equality basically saying equality isnt what we want....
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

Blacks are under achieving (apparently). If all parties are happy - why not.

The simple solution is academic level banding whereby equally academically capable pupils are taught together. Any school with any intelligence operates in this way.
Old 07 March 2005, 11:09 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

The bloke has noticed a trend, and is trying to do something about it.

If all men are equal...then why are the black kids under-achiveing? It's a social issue and he's right to address it.

How about a ban on rap/gangsta culture while we're at it?
Old 07 March 2005, 11:14 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
The bloke has noticed a trend, and is trying to do something about it.

If all men are equal...then why are the black kids under-achiveing? It's a social issue and he's right to address it.

How about a ban on rap/gangsta culture while we're at it?
What about integration? This would cause an even bigger case of 'them and us' if it exists and if it doesn't it's likely to cause it to some extent.
Old 07 March 2005, 11:16 AM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TheBigMan
Blacks are under achieving (apparently). If all parties are happy - why not.

The simple solution is academic level banding whereby equally academically capable pupils are taught together. Any school with any intelligence operates in this way.
Totally Agree with the BigMan, But is the real reason they are under achieving because they are getting a lot more attention/interference from there class mates & are not being allowed to concentrate fully.
The goverment has just glossed over the wording so as it does not seem to have racist motives !!!!
Old 07 March 2005, 11:17 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Segregating them may (or not) improve their grades. However it will increase racism within our schools. Kids will see a certain group of other kids being treated differently on a basis other than academic ability. This will only cause problems and hostility. What about girls and non-black boys who are underachieving that don't get this special treatment? Kids will also read it as 'you're a black boy therefore stupid'. What about the clever black boys? Will they get to join the normal classes so not to be dragged down with the others? The whole thing will be a complete mess.

What needs to be addressed is the culture that creates the under-achievers. Gang culture, lack of decent male role models, missing parents etc. Trevor Phillips made a good point about 'making' dads attend parents meetings etc. That's good, segregation in schools is not.
Old 07 March 2005, 11:25 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

LOL - this reminds me of the joke

No son thats because you are 25.

Old 07 March 2005, 11:27 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Segregation for underacheivers already exists though, so naturally the thick kids will already be in the "special" brick sh*t thick classes. The focus on why they underachieve and what can be done (such what is mentioned in the report - role models, black teachers, more parental involvement etc) is what should be concentrated on.
Old 07 March 2005, 11:29 AM
Prince Popeye
BANNED

'How about a ban on rap/gangsta culture while we're at it?'

This music is mainly responsible for why teenagers think its cool to be bad. Lyrics about guns, **** the police etc give kids the wrong morals in life aswell as chav parenting.

Eminem had lyrics about raping women. is this right?
Old 07 March 2005, 11:32 AM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prince Popeye

This music is mainly responsible for why teenagers think its cool to be bad. Lyrics about guns, **** the police etc give kids the wrong morals in life aswell as chav parenting.

It's only the thick ***** that take this too much to heart.
Old 07 March 2005, 11:46 AM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prince Popeye

So this means that people that listen to Eminem go on to become rapists does it and anyone that plays rap music has a gun?

What a ridiculous statement to make.
Old 07 March 2005, 11:47 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
That's up there with the most stupid posts I've ever read on here.
Factually the statistics back his rather crass statement up, if you choose to read the stats that way. Fortunately it seems most people are trying to find out why this group are doing worse than average (but half the people do have to perform worse than average anyway) rather than just accepting it and finger pointing.
Old 07 March 2005, 11:49 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

I refer to my original post.

What does skin colour have to with academic ability?

If you think that then you're simply stupid and/or racist.

The problem is a social one.
Old 07 March 2005, 11:52 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some posts have been removed due to potentially racist content.

Last edited by Paulo P; 07 March 2005 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07 March 2005, 11:52 AM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

There were many many studies done on this a while ago...I'll see if I can find references to them.

They deduced that the average brain of a black man is unable to learn as quickly as a white man's brain. It's something in the genetic makeup that makes black men more likely to outperform their white counterparts at sport-like activities - running and physical ability - while the white man outperforms them academically.

I'll Google it to see if I can find any more information....
Old 07 March 2005, 11:53 AM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

I refer to my original post.

What does skin colour have to with academic ability?

If you think that then you're simply stupid and/or racist.

The problem is a social one.
They need assistance on the whole.

P.S. Black people aren't just a different colour of skin. I'm no doctor but there is alot more to it than that.

I don't consider myself racist, more of a realist. My original post was blunt but hey, I'm simply saying what many others are too **** scared to say.
Old 07 March 2005, 11:55 AM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mice_Elf
There were many many studies done on this a while ago...I'll see if I can find references to them.

They deduced that the average brain of a black man is unable to learn as quickly as a white man's brain. It's something in the genetic makeup that makes black men more likely to outperform their white counterparts at sport-like activities - running and physical ability - while the white man outperforms them academically.

I'll Google it to see if I can find any more information....
That was what I was saying when I was called a racist.

Fatherpierre - please read above post. That outlines my point. Black people don't just have "different colour skin".
Old 07 March 2005, 11:58 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Apart from swimming, darts and snooker, formula 1, rallying etc etc.

So athletics it is
Old 07 March 2005, 11:59 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

That was what I was saying when I was called a racist.

Fatherpierre - please read above post. That outlines my point. Black people don't just have "different colour skin".
So your point is based on a post on a car BBS?

Reminds me of the Harry Enfield sketch showing women who'd been to university as old hags because they can't take in information as well as a man.
Old 07 March 2005, 12:00 PM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by lightning101
Apart from swimming, darts and snooker, formula 1, rallying etc etc.

So athletics it is
Blacks are better at physical skills. (generally)

Whites are better at academic skills (generally).

That is equally as "racist" to either group. Unless of course people believe that it's not possible to be racist AGAINST whites.
Old 07 March 2005, 12:02 PM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

So your point is based on a post on a car BBS?

Reminds me of the Harry Enfield sketch showing women who'd been to university as old hags because they can't take in information as well as a man.
I'm sure a study confirmed this fact.

If I'm wrong, so be it. However it doesn't change the stats that blacks are under-achieving in school.
Old 07 March 2005, 12:12 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine came out with the statement that blacks can't swim because they don't have an achilles.....

A fair few misconceptions out there! There are however genetic differences between blacks and whites that mean certain races are better suited to different physical things.
Old 07 March 2005, 12:16 PM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
A mate of mine came out with the statement that blacks can't swim because they don't have an achilles.....

A fair few misconceptions out there! There are however genetic differences between blacks and whites that mean certain races are better suited to different physical things.
....and different academic things it seems to. Your comments are not racist, though no doubt the odd person may perceive them to be.

In short, segregation is probably a bad thing. Schools should just do academic level banding for classes, thus erradicating the problem with no racial segregation.

Problem solved.
Old 07 March 2005, 12:24 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

....and different academic things it seems to. Your comments are not racist, though no doubt the odd person may perceive them to be.

In short, segregation is probably a bad thing. Schools should just do academic level banding for classes, thus erradicating the problem with no racial segregation.

Problem solved.
I can't comment on the academic thing as I have no evidence to suggest either way. I can however say that physically blacks are more suited to sprints when it comes to running. You only have to look at the Olympic final of the men's 100m for the past 30 or so years. Take the percentage of blacks in the men's final and compare that to the world percentage and it is proportionately a lot higher. This suggests that black men genetically are more suited to physical activities that require a short burst of speed. (fast twitch muscle fibres)
Old 07 March 2005, 12:44 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
I can't comment on the academic thing as I have no evidence to suggest either way. I can however say that physically blacks are more suited to sprints when it comes to running. You only have to look at the Olympic final of the men's 100m for the past 30 or so years. Take the percentage of blacks in the men's final and compare that to the world percentage and it is proportionately a lot higher. This suggests that black men genetically are more suited to physical activities that require a short burst of speed. (fast twitch muscle fibres)
Funny how some of the best long distance runners in the world are...ummm...black...bang goes that theory.
Old 07 March 2005, 12:55 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Funny how some of the best long distance runners in the world are...ummm...black...bang goes that theory.

Best long distance runners are not of the same line of African decent that sprinters are.

West and East africans produce very different body types suited to certain things.

How many Kenyans are in the NFL, NBA, 100m final?
Old 07 March 2005, 01:00 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
It was a very general comment but the truth is it's correct. If you look at people purely on their genetic makeup then there is proof that genetically there is a group of men who are better suited to sprint type events (higher proportion of fast twitch muscle fibre). It just so happens that that group of men also have the genetics that mean they have black skin. I know there are other groups who have the genetics that mean they are better suited to long distance running as well as having black skin.
Old 07 March 2005, 01:01 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Statistics are great things aren't they?

Black kids aren't learning as fast as white kids, therefore black kids need special help. WTF

Here is another read on those same statistics.

In the average suburban or 'better off' area there are more white kids than black, there are also generally good teachers in well run schools

In the inner cities there are generally more black kids than white, the schools are generally overcrowded, underfunded, hidebound by local council education policy (brent anyone?) so generally the standard of education is not as good.

You take the 90 well educated white & 10 well educated black kids from the suburban school, the 90 pooorly educated black & 10 poorly educated white kids from the inner city school, and combine them into one set of statistics & what do you get? Black kids don't learn as well as white.

IMO The true solution to the problem is keep politicians - who generally have their own self serving agenda - out of schools, and leave the running of them to academics & teachers, then everybody gets a chance of a decent education

Quick Reply: segregation in our schools? wtf?