Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Car write off - what to expect from Ins Cpy?

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2005, 04:58 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Car write off - what to expect from Ins Cpy?

I know there is an ins forum but its rare that people venture in there.

Our X reg Clio was involved in an accident earlier this week - police were involved and the fault lies solely with another driver (who has been charged).

Ins cpy have inspected car and said they will write it off (£6-7k bill to repair).

What can we expect from the Ins Cpy (Direct Line) realistically? I know their policy says market value but I know from experience that the non-fault person normally claims more than this due to the inconvenience caused by simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I guess all I really want is peoples experiences of being in this position. On the one hand its good news we dont get a patched up car back but at the same time Im hoping we arent going to be out of pocket getting a new car sorted.

Cheers,
Simon.
Old 04 March 2005, 05:03 PM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

You should get the replacement cost from a dealer, not the private sale price. I have been thorugh this a few times and the Insurance company will low ball the amount first time round. If you then get a copy of some similar spec cars deatisl being sold at Main Dealers and a copy from a guide like Glass' or from the Whatcar website and send them in, they will always come back with a much better quote. I have never failed to get what I feel is the price I would need to pay for a car from a main dealer.

Meantime make sure you get a hire car from the at fault Insurance company.
Old 04 March 2005, 05:29 PM
Ian_S
Scooby Regular

start collecting adverts from autotrader for when DL start offering a ****e price, then you have proof that your car is worth more.

you can contact the third party insurer for a courtesy car, they should provide a like for like vehicle for you until your claim is paid, and then time for the cheque to clear and for you to buy another car, week maybe. DL wont give cc as ****e, so if the TP company dont play ball you can go to a credit hire company and have them sort you a car and bill the TP insurers.
Old 04 March 2005, 05:47 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

don't accept the first offer from the insurance co either.

I hope you / Mrs P1 are okay though.
Old 04 March 2005, 06:37 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by scoob_babe
don't accept the first offer from the insurance co either.

I hope you / Mrs P1 are okay though.
Thanks for the concern. It was MrsP1F in the car. She was on her own driving back from work when someone drove out from a petrol station straight into passenger side, pushing her onto the other side of the road which caused her to go head first into another car.

Was pretty scary as I turned up to find traffic backed up, 3 police cars, an ambulance and MrsP1F still in the car with 2 paramedics around her.

Luckily no more than minor whiplash, shock and a selection of nasty bruises. Could have been a lot worse.

Car has been unlucky since the start - 7 days after buying it a white van man drove into the back of it

As you suggest I will start collecting some dealer prices for similar cars and see what we should be asking for. On the first crash DL were fine with sorting a CC - in fact we had it for a week after she picked her repaired car up.

Thanks,
Simon
Old 04 March 2005, 07:48 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

Its not nice to see the aftermath of that sort of thing. It was quite horrible seeing the state of our car as it turned up, totally mangled on the back of a low-loader and the shock of seeing Rich uninjured having walked away from it. Hope she can get back driving again quickly.
Old 04 March 2005, 08:56 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

the good thing is that serious accidents like that regularly have people walking away due to safety technology in the cars.
Old 04 March 2005, 09:01 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

walk??

hobble and suffer whiplash!!!!

still in pain after my escapade!!!

Mart
Old 05 March 2005, 09:37 AM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

i got a good price on my 306 when i written it off approx £800 more than dealer price on parkers.
just expect a inspector to pop round to ask you questions and fo it to take a long time