My morning with the NHS.

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2005, 07:58 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation My morning with the NHS.

Farce!

I arrived at the doctors this morning 5 minutes early as you do. I was waiting to see the midwife.

As this is my first pregnancy, and my first proper appointment for the pregnancy I was very anxious as well as having a lot of questions! So waiting, waiting and waiting some more wasn't helping! I was eventually called at 11.05 - my appointment was supposed to be 10.30 The appointment itself was supposed to be an hour and a half!!

Anyway, I went through to the room and the midwife disappeared for 5 minutes, returned and said 'I am going to have to ask you to sit outside for a short while, someone has popped in and would like me to check them over'. so I was shoved out into a freezing cold corridor on a chair for a further 10/15 minutes!!

So, nearly an hour after my appointment was due to start I finally got started. She was explaining cystic fibrosis tests, down's/edward's screening amongst other things - a bit too quickly for my liking. I know nothing about these things and my questions really werent getting answered properly.

Then at 11.45 I was tossed out of the room again because she had to take a blood sample from someone!! So there was me again, sat in this freezing corridor waiting to be seen with things going through my head worrying me sick about my unborn child's health. Anyway, she calls me back in and I get my scan booked over the phone. Only she doesn't tell me where I have to go so I am now going to have to ring the hospital and ask myself I get my height and weight taken, asked questions about my health, poked with a needle a few times, handed a pack with information and get tossed out. In total my appointment lasted about 45 minutes - it should have been an hour and a fooking half!!!!!!

Not a happy bunny, you would expect with it being my first things would have been better arranged. But then it is just a reflection of how this country is run
Old 03 March 2005, 08:05 PM
custard puddle
Scooby Regular

Location: 4am club + owns one muppet music token and one fairy token

sorry to hear about it, did you complaint to the hospital? i know i had a minor op last year under general anasthetic, i was supposed to have a check up a week later to make sure i was still alive and i finally got the appointment about 9 months later because they just forgot about me! there is no way anyone should be treated the way you have been...i say maybe you should write to them and advise them to sharpen up their act!

Em

Old 03 March 2005, 08:56 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

eClaire, with my first born, i was made to wait ages and ages, so long my blood pressure went through the roof. He's now 14yrs. Looks like things haven't changed. Don't worry, it does actually get better. Good luck. Lesley
Old 03 March 2005, 10:08 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're lucky - you could be giving birth under the Tories ..... I knew many people who did and it was pitiful

Go private maybe, if you are truly unhappy?

Pete
Old 03 March 2005, 10:20 PM
lubo
Scooby Regular

dont trust doctors claire trust your own instinct. they are not god and they dont know it all. also if you are doing all you can to have a healthy child then consider the option that tests are not always right and things can happen to kids after birth but as a mum you still/always will love them
Old 03 March 2005, 10:24 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
You're lucky - you could be giving birth under the Tories ..... I knew many people who did and it was pitiful

back to your ward.....
Old 03 March 2005, 10:35 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Pete
With the greatest of respect Pete; thats a f*cking useless post isnt it?
Old 03 March 2005, 10:38 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
With the greatest of respect Pete; thats a f*cking useless post isnt it?
Not really, I was commenting upon the starter of this threads statement, and I quote ..... "But then it is just a reflection of how this country is run"

I was merely referring back to darker days in the 80's that I experienced - my comment was fully justified

Thank you for the greatest of respect you showed, but could you PLEASE read whats written first and then make an informed judgement??

Ta!

Pete
Old 04 March 2005, 12:03 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

e-claire

Sorry you had such a bad start

AFAIK in general Maternity services in the NHS are very well funded, so much so that people who pay privately for IVF abroad often end up in an NHS facility here in the UK as if any problems do arise then NHS Consultants and staff usually on site

At the sharp end if things go pants what you want is a health baby and mother if there are problems then believe it or not the NHS is best placed to sort it out .......something the private sector might not provide IMHO.

Shaun
Old 04 March 2005, 02:01 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

the reason you got booted out for "other jobs" was because of the current farce over waiting times statistics. They have time limits to meet to see people, so they chuck you out mid session, do a small job on some other poor sod who's time limit is coming towards the allowed amount they should be seen in, then bung you back in, then kick you out so some other poor sod gets seen within their time limit, then bug you back in again.

It's all about chasing the statistics and not about what's best for the patient, i feel sorry for the medical staff that have to deal with this **** from above day in, day out, they really are very dedicated people dealing with the management from hell.
Old 04 March 2005, 07:58 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Pete
Pete,
Labour are in power now so you cant blame the Tories for Claires problems

As for going private isnt that an old Tory policy??? Or are Labour now just jumping on the bandwagon again.

Chip
Old 04 March 2005, 08:14 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
Pete,
Labour are in power now so you cant blame the Tories for Claires problems
Chip
You must read what I said, I didn't blame the Tories for Claires problems ( I said she was lucky to have her health issues now, rather than in the dark NHS days in the 80's that I remember only too well)

The private option is still there, its called CHOICE!

Pete
Old 04 March 2005, 08:22 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johnfelstead

It's all about chasing the statistics and not about what's best for the patient, i feel sorry for the medical staff that have to deal with this **** from above day in, day out,
Totally agree with that. Shameful though isnt it.

Chip
Old 04 March 2005, 08:55 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

You must read what I said, I didn't blame the Tories for Claires problems ( I said she was lucky to have her health issues now, rather than in the dark NHS days in the 80's that I remember only too well)

The private option is still there, its called CHOICE!

Pete
A ficticious choice as per the other other thread Pete. As long as we are made to pay for the NHS option no matter which of the options we choose you cannot say it is a choice! The sad fact is that what most people pay in mandatory contributions would more than pay for them to have a decent PMI package.

Labour can't seem to make the same money go as far because they squander it on beaurocracy, inefficiency and undeserving spongers!

Bleat all you like about how you perceived it to be under a previous government, but Labour are in power and we look to them to explain why we are paying so much and receiving so little!!!
Old 04 March 2005, 08:59 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Claire - edit off your last line, and then someone can delete most of this thread and we can get back on topic.
Old 04 March 2005, 09:02 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
A ficticious choice as per the other other thread Pete. As long as we are made to pay for the NHS option no matter which of the options we choose you cannot say it is a choice!
Now, let me see .........

The options available in the REAL world NOW - not in someones head sometime:-

CHOICE 1 - get treatment on the NHS free

CHOICE 2 - decide to go for Private treatment, if you feel it offers added value you will be happy to pay extra for the perceived 'extra'

Looks like a choice to me! So, YES I CAN say its a choice ....... because, amazingly, it IS!!

Pete
Old 04 March 2005, 09:03 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Claire - edit off your last line, and then someone can delete the parts of this thread I don't like and then I can talk about what I want to talk about and sod the rest .... do it NOW as I demand!
What a tosser!!

Pete
Old 04 March 2005, 09:09 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Free? For spongers maybe.... not for the majority of people who are paying, or have paid, for the service with their taxes!!!

Forced to pay for option 1 by law, forced to choose (and pay for) option 2 by medical necessity for treatment in a timely manner.

No choice.
Old 04 March 2005, 09:13 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Choice 1 - FREE at the point of need ..... you had treatment as a baby, you had paid NOTHING!

Choice 2 - Pay for the percieved 'extra' that you believe Private offers

I struggle to make it simpler?????

CHOICE, as I said!

Pete
Old 04 March 2005, 09:16 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Old 04 March 2005, 09:20 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Choice 1 - FREE at the point of need ..... you had treatment as a baby, you had paid NOTHING!
My parents had more than paid for it with their taxes, and I have more than paid for it with my taxes since! If you honestly get FREE NHS treatment then you have been bludging off the rest of us!!!

Choice 2 - Pay for the percieved 'extra' that you believe Private offers
Rather than being a case of "perceived extra" I think it's fair to say in many cases it is "proved necessity"

I struggle to make it simpler?????
You struggle full stop. No choice.
Old 04 March 2005, 09:21 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline

He needs the exercise!
Old 04 March 2005, 09:22 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Now, let me see .........

The options available in the REAL world NOW - not in someones head sometime:-

CHOICE 2 - decide to go for Private treatment, if you feel it offers added value you will be happy to pay extra for the perceived 'extra'

Looks like a choice to me! So, YES I CAN say its a choice ....... because, amazingly, it IS!!

Pete
Pete,

Spending on the NHS under NL has doubled from 33 Billion per Annum (under the tories) to 66 Billion now (Which in itself should be a good thing).

However - Here we have someone who's experiencing trouble with the NHS and you are suggesting that she goes private.

33,000,000,000 Pounds more per year for the NHS Since Labour have come in and NL's greatest supporter still suggesting that folk go private cos the Free service is not good enough !

I pay Bupa something Like £20 per month for Me & The Wife to be able to jump the NHS queue should it fail us.

So We pay £120 per annum each for Private Cover and New Labour have increased our payments to the NHS to £560 each (assuming 60 Million people paying taxes and my calcs are right )

Some come on Pete - Where's the VFM ??
Old 04 March 2005, 09:24 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
My parents had more than paid for it with their taxes, and I have more than paid for it with my taxes since!
So? who paid for your PARENTS Birth?? and your GRANDPARENTS?? Somewhere along the line your family where sponging off the state!!

You could have had a lifetime illness and the NHS would look after you until death ........ tell you what? Swap with someone who has not had the ability to contribute because they have been very ill since birth - that way YOU will get value for money!!

I'm sure they would JUMP at the chance to pay for you instead of dying

You are an idiot!

Pete
Old 04 March 2005, 09:28 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

So? who paid for your PARENTS Birth?? and your GRANDPARENTS?? Somewhere along the line your family where sponging off the state!!
Chicken and egg theory is not relevent. What is relevent is that by the end of my life I will have paid more for NHS treatment via mandatory deductions than it would have cost had I been insuring myself privately.

Not only is the NHS NOT free, but it is a rip off!!!

You are an idiot!

Pete
LOL! I've got lewis frothing at the mouth by 09:30, is it a record?
Old 04 March 2005, 09:30 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ajm
Old 04 March 2005, 09:32 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

What a tosser!!

Pete
Praise from the one who really understands. Thank you. :
Old 04 March 2005, 09:33 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ajm
I Think I might have shut him up - he's probably checking up some trotski-web-stats page to come back at me with to demostrate how Bupa are run by the Tories to undermine Saint Blair
Old 04 March 2005, 09:35 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasey
he's probably checking up some trotski-web-stats page
LOL!
Old 04 March 2005, 09:49 AM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Hi Claire. Sorry you had such a bad experience. Worth changing doctors / midwives?

I went along for my 6 week appt way back in October. This is my first baby as well and was also full of questions. My appt started 5 minutes late (which isn't too bad) but the midwife couldn't have been more helpful. My appt lasted (in the end) just over 2 hours as I had loads of questions and it ate into her lunch break!

The amount of information you get given is staggering, isn't it? All the different diseases and problems as well as the 4 vials of blood taken and the life history of you and your partner....

Still, here I am over 7 months pregnant now and apart from 1 sonographer at one hospital, my treatment couldn't have been better.

Maybe your midwife isn't too organised or maybe she was just having an off day! Either way, hope it gets better soon. The 12 week scan is phenomenal.

Quick Reply: My morning with the NHS.