SORN problem...(sorry!)

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2005, 03:35 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SORN problem...(sorry!)

Just need some quick advice.

After the road tax expired this vehicle was taken off the road and a SORN sent off. A couple of months later it was sold on and I filled in the relevant part of the log book to notify DVLA of the new keeper etc.

Now I've received a 'Failure to relicence vehicle' notice. It hasn't been registered in the new keeper's name and address, obviously. The fine is £40 doubling to £80 if not paid by certain date plus another SORN or tax to be applied for.

I want to write back telling them that the vehicle was sold, the relevant part of the log book sent but I don't have any record of the guy who bought it now and I don't owe 'em jack.
Is there an obligation on my part to keep of a record of the new keeper?
Is there any point contesting the notice or will I just end up increasing the fine?
Old 28 February 2005, 06:35 PM
imi
Scooby Regular

When you sell off the car, you give the new keeper the V5C section of the V5 and its your responsibility to complete YOUR part of the V5 with HIS details and send it off to the DVLA.

You then get a letter from the DVLA thanking you for notifying them of the sale and a confirmation that the change has been actioned.
Old 28 February 2005, 07:32 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

I sent off the relevant part of the V5 to the DVLA but never got any acknowledgement, I didn't think you did unless someone tried registering the vehicle without you also notifying them.
I've always made sure the DVLA are informed of a sale after a lesson learned many years ago where some guy took the whole log book and I ended up with numerous parking tickets.
The problem now is that will the DVLA accept that I sent them the details but they haven't acted upon them or never received them.
Old 28 February 2005, 07:50 PM
imi
Scooby Regular

Hmm...did you send it off registered post?
Old 28 February 2005, 08:41 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imi
Hmm...did you send it off registered post?
Nope! But wouldn't have thought it was essential to do so. Think I may as well pay the fine and learn a lesson. Off abroad soon so don't need any nasty surprises for when I return!
Ta, imi.
Old 28 February 2005, 08:45 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Same thing happenned to me.The new keeper never taxed it or registered it in his name.I informed DVLA and they accepted this and dropped the fine (or threat of it to be exact).