Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Crafty/sneaky coppers

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2005, 01:48 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cant see why any1 would wanna become a fed jus to walk round givin out tickets. hardly a great career jus as popular as traffic wardens IMO
Old 27 February 2005, 01:57 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Bob

If its any consolation, they hit all the couriers in Smithfield Market as well...

But, it you're legal then theres no problem
Old 27 February 2005, 02:07 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

B2Z has your plate got the BS info on it? might they be doing you for that? Could still be argued that plate complies.
Think the police are out to criminalise us all. "Only doing my job" worths.
Old 27 February 2005, 02:39 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

ARGHHHHHH !!!!!!!!

If you committ an offence, then you run the risk of being prosecuted/ticketed. If you don't agree with the ticket - argue it at court.

They often do purges on traffic groups (lorrys, bikes, new cars, old cars). If you bike is in ok order, why worry.
Old 27 February 2005, 03:17 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

******** NEWS FLASH ********
Police enforce law shocker!

Read all about it...

Hmmm, I wonder if Burglars complain when caught by the police "Why are you picking on us burglars, why don't you go after real crims such as murderers, rapists etc."

You break road rules you take the chance of being caught, simple. I know I do (speed limits etc.) but if caught I'd accept it, be pi$$ed off of course but don't really have a right to complain about being caught.
Old 27 February 2005, 03:30 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

I think there is a difference between deliberately breaking the law and breaking the law through inattention to detail. Unfortunately the law doesnt see it that way.
all together now "The LAW is the LAW" Judge Dredd has truly arrived and Big Brother is truly watching. Civil liberty step back as freedom is constantly being eroded and innocent people are being criminalised. But thats ok cause we were just doing our job.
Old 27 February 2005, 03:35 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Beastie
I think there is a difference between deliberately breaking the law and breaking the law through inattention to detail. Unfortunately the law doesnt see it that way.
all together now "The LAW is the LAW" Judge Dredd has truly arrived and Big Brother is truly watching. Civil liberty step back as freedom is constantly being eroded and innocent people are being criminalised. But thats ok cause we were just doing our job.
How are u innocent if you committ an offence..????

More serious offences receive a custodial sentence, minor ones you pay a fine. Simple.

Civil liberty..?? Freedom..?? what r u talking about..?????

Most traffic offences do not get crimed. Only death by dangerous i believe.

Pay your fine, learn your lesson, move on. Or disagree and argue it at court. There you are, your freedom to choose.
Old 27 February 2005, 03:56 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Felix.

More serious offences receive a custodial sentence, minor ones you pay a fine. Simple.

Pay your fine, learn your lesson, move on. Or disagree and argue it at court. There you are, your freedom to choose.
it is basically as simple as that, yes. the point i think being that such seemingly minor trivial things are a waste of resource that could be channelled elsewhere.
Old 27 February 2005, 04:24 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Contest it in court if you think your plate's legal.

Make sure you're 100% sure it's not before going though.......
Old 27 February 2005, 06:50 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Felix you are right a non standard numberplate could really hurt someone - lets make everyone a criminal for being sold a bike that doesnt have a BS AU stamp on it or perhaps driving a vehicle with a defective headlight - but it was on when you left the house cause you checked - or driving too slowly or driving too fast.

When a law is passed forbidding farting in public you may struggle to remain an honest citizen.
Old 27 February 2005, 06:57 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

B20 it may be that there is nothing wrong with your plate, i cant see a faint hatching being illegal. Maybe you are an innocent that has been slurred!

My bike plate is legal, just my cans arent cause im a rip snorting criminal. (Lord help us all)
Old 27 February 2005, 07:27 PM
yoza
BANNED

Come on, cut them some slack, they are only doing thier jobs.

If they catch a real criminal, and by some fluke he actually goes to prison.

It will stress out the poor prison officers, and they will have to throw even more sickies.......
Old 27 February 2005, 07:36 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Felix.

You and I could start another debate here but just to restate my opinion ,which contradicts yours. You know, from your professional experience that many offences, which the public regard as serious, do NOT result in the offender receiving a custodial sentence.
That is one of the reasons why I, a white, middle class, middle aged male regard the Police as merely agents of a bankrupt, corrupt, political system.
Old 27 February 2005, 07:37 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Doesn't matter whether you 'knowingly' broke the law or not, ignorance is no defence in the eyes of the law. You are responsible for ensuring your vehicle is legal, not anyone elses. Why are you pi$$ed with the police? Why not the people you bought the bike from?

The point of the burlary analogy is that resources have to be applied to as many laws as possible else all laws apart from murder/rape etc. would NEVER be enforced.

FWIW, I think it's a bit tight getting the fine for which is a minor offence that could/should be dealt with in a more appropriate way (a warning, chance to fix the problem etc.) however the FACT remains that ever since you've had the bike you've been breaking the law (unless in fact the plate is actually legal), whether a few coppers realised(or chose to ignore) it when inspecting your vehicle is neither here nor there. The most recent one spotted it was illegal and chose to enforce the law.

I do have sympathy for you being caught for what is a minor infringement. Not sure I have sympathy for you complaining though (unless your plates are in fact legal)

I agree that the motivation may well be revenue generation. Don't like this? Then don't let them get your £30/40/60 and play by the rules. Don't like the rules and want to make the point? Write to your mp, councillors, papers etc.

BTW - Are you gonna change your plates tomorrow know you 'know' they are illegal?
Old 27 February 2005, 07:41 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

I'd have let you off
Old 27 February 2005, 08:30 PM
scoobchrissy
Scooby Senior

Just took my license in for doing 60 in a 50 but then again how many times have we got away with things
Old 27 February 2005, 08:59 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

I'm thinking the following will soon be appearing in the local newspaper:

Police hail biker clampdown as success.

Local police are hailing last weeks clamp down on motorcyclists using dangerous and defective motorbikes as a "Huge success." Insp. Bob Halfwit, pictured left with a big smile and a special bonus in his pension scheme, detailed why his crack team of traffic officers needed to lead such a clampdown. "We need to be proactive about road safety." he said "Our research has shown that up to a third of all motorcycle accidents are caused by dangerous or defective bikes." Insp. Halfwit indicated that over the last week his officers had been working closely with the local biking community to isolate the dangerous and defective bikes in the area and ensure that their owners were made aware of the fault and that, where necessary, a suitable penalty was issued. Insp. Halfwit indicated that police did not wish to unfairly discriminate against local bikers "In fact we have the support of a local biker, a scantimonious old bloke who hasn't been on a bike in years but lives nearby. Such strong community feeling has driven us to have to take action. Standing in the road stopping traffic is dangerous for my officers but they have shown excellent dedication to duty and have reached the target of 1000 tickets issued to bikers in just one week."
The local Safety Partnership also indicated its support for the police action and congratulated Insp. Halfwit on his hard work and recent promotion within the local Masonic Lodge (Pictures on page 4) the Partnership also said that the courts would be dealing with any bikers who contested their tickets in a summary and strict manner. The statement said "It is important for road safety that we get the cash off these bikers as they are a danger on the roads and taking their cash doesn't help that but it makes us happy and will reduce pressure on us at the next Greenpeace meeting."
Insp. Halfwit, who is Chair of the local Safety Partneship, thanked the Partnership for their support and indicated that local Magistrates, who sit on the Safety Partnership and have just returned from a 3 week safety fact finding tour of Florida, would ensure that his conviction rate looked good in time for the pension review next year.
Insp. Halfwit had the following warning for local bikers: "My pension gets reviewed about this time every year so be prepared for more of the same next year. The results this year have been excellent and build on the success of the safety schemes we introduced last year whereby we just fined anyone we saw on the roads. Deaths on local roads keep increasing and this gives me an excellent excuse for more clampdowns with direct government support for the more extreme and oppressive forms of control."
Old 27 February 2005, 10:09 PM
MarksWRX
Scooby Regular

ROFLMAO
Old 28 February 2005, 12:26 AM
screwdriver
Scooby Regular

Well the humour in Hedgehogs post escapes me but this is a worrying tactic. Cowardly too, not to mention unsporting. If it goes on like this then it is going to persuade people simply to swap to fake plates. Before then, the best bet would be to contest this and try to cost the system as much time, effort and money as possible. Let's not become an easy target.

Screwd.
Old 28 February 2005, 12:46 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you get arrested, after your out burst today at the station?
Old 28 February 2005, 01:09 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Was the bike parked on private property ?
Old 28 February 2005, 02:48 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

As a biker I ahve always wondered why some blokes want to deliberately fit illegal numberplates. Just find it difficult to see a good reason. Their choice of course. They know they are very likely to get done for it eventually.

Sorry to hear about what happened to you B2Zero and all the other blokes though. This is a very poor example of policing and naturally is bound to cause a great deal of antagonism and non cooperation in the future. As you say it is obviously a money raising exercise and there is no excuse for such unreasonable behaviour. I remember some while ago when a speedcop stopped to have a look at my bike which was an interesting Vincent/Matchless Silver Hawk/Ariel Square Four bitsa. He spent some time asking me about it all and how it was built etc and then reported me for the tax being out of date even though I had just filled in the form and was about to put it in the post, as you could then quite legally. He said he had seen me ride it to the post office when I went to pick up a form. I thought at the time that was a rotten trick since I got him to open the sealed envelope so he could see all the necessary paperwork and payment. Very similar to the attitude of the cops who did you!

Les
Old 28 February 2005, 02:59 PM
Gav1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yoza
Come on, cut them some slack, they are only doing thier jobs.

If they catch a real criminal, and by some fluke he actually goes to prison.

It will stress out the poor prison officers, and they will have to throw even more sickies.......
Prison Officer bashing again Yoza!!...I'm starting to think you've done some time..you're so bitter and twisted.

Gav.
Old 28 February 2005, 03:03 PM
yoza
BANNED

www.politics.co.uk/public-services/prison-service-sickness-rate-unacceptable-$7589358.htm

http://www.parliament.uk/parliamenta...180105_pn1.cfm

Im not making it up.

Last edited by yoza; 28 February 2005 at 03:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Crafty/sneaky coppers