Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rave review, Raindance 19/02/2005

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2005, 09:24 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rave review, Raindance 19/02/2005

One of the better parties which are illuminated enough to accomodate Hardcore within its events, Raindance is a rave which is directly from the Old Skool. Incorporated into its logo is the slogon "promoters of the worlds first legal all night dance event" and this eye on the future continues to this day.

The only thing that has remained the same in recent times is the rave's chosen venue. Namely the home of London raves, The SEOne. Multiple large scale arches make the perfect home for Raindance to set up shop and please its multitude of followers with an even more complex array of musical tastes.

And please it they do. Not only do the promoters give a knowing nod to where they came from with Old Skool taking centre stage, but they also take us back to the "proper" old skool with the "Jenkins Lane Reunion Arch". However as well as that there is a firm foot in the present with both an upfront Hardcore and Drum & Bass arch. Not only that the sounds of upfront Breakbeat are given an airing with the venue's smaller "Deep Blue" arches being turned over to the "Can you feel it?" arena.

This is what makes Raindance what it is. Its also the reason why I have missed only one of their parties in the last two years. After bitterly regretting missing that one rave, I also resolved to not miss another one unless I had to.

So it was with little surprise that when another one came along, I was first in the queue, yet again. I werent the only one either. A lot of my friends who've allowed their rave attendances to dip came out for this one, not surprising, considering the lineup.

Another aspect which raises Raindance above the rabble, Its hardcore lineup was composed of not only a carefully selection of headliners you see every weekend such as Kevin Energy, Sy, and Vibes, but also incorporated the best up and running talent on the circuit. Double teaming the rave to death were D-Ice & Reality, Ponder & HB and Uplift & Cris-E-Manic. As well as that, a REAL blast from the past, DJ Kaos of Future Dance fame had been booked.

All this added up to me meeting my friends for the traditional pre SEOne rave drinks at the Shipwright Arms pub a small distance away from the venue. After sinking a few and a bit of a chat with some old and newer friends, We made our way to the venue. After a chat with Spenno and Grant Epidemik on the door and, once again, no search at all from the safe as ever security team, we were in.

As usual, I knew exactly where to go. The Red arch is where I spend most of my time in this place as its where most of the music I want to hear is based. This occasion was no different with me making a beeline for the Hardcore arena to see what Raindance had done with the place.

When I got there, there was already a sizeable crowd of the Hardcore faithful camped out on the dancefloor, kick starting the evening. Helping them out were D-Ice and Reality on the decks and MC Wildcard on the mic.

The DJs from Bristol had the first set well under control with their trademark uplifting style getting the ravers on their feet and moving to the tunes in a very compulsive manner. Seeing as the rest of the evening would be about the subtle complexities of the music, it made sense for D-ice and Reality to start at the baseline their tune selection was providing.

Upfront and Euphoric, tunes like "Take your time", "I Adore", "You're my angel", "Still the one" and "This is Extreme" were all well received by the crowd and myself, but it was their last tune which really got me moving, the awesome "Lets fly" signalled the end of their set and the start of the rest of my evening on the dancefloor.

Next up was a surprise DJ in the shape of Lukozade stepping up. He was meant to be doing a 96 set but for some reason only got two tunes in. "Love of my life" and "Discoland" were barely finished when Sy stepped up and took over, leaving Luke to await his main arena booking.

Sy and Spenno were left to entertain the ravers and despite the departure from Sy's frenetic floor filling power hour setime, the the music was just as good as it always is. From this, it would appear that Sy was just a little late and together with Spenno on the mic they proceeded to make up for lost time.

His openers were not anthemic in the slightest, the first tune completely eluded me, but the second, a tasty remix of D.E.V.I.L was more familiar, and even more danceable. This was the catalyst for the rest of the set and I raved hard without stopping from then till Sy had finished.

Leaning heavily on his patented bouncy sound, Sy moved through his set at his usual breakneck speed, dropping "Let the Bassline roll", the upfront remixes of "Take me away" and "Free your mind" and just to mess with my head, finishing on another tune I didnt recognise.

Spenno was bang on it throughout this set as well, but most especially at the end of the set when he dedicated the set to a fallen raver from southend. He asked the crowd to oblige on Matt's behalf and they did with avengence. Nice one.

After that it was time for a peak time set. Its another eccentricity of Raindance that the "Biggest" DJs do not hog the main sets and as such two of London Hardcore's main men, Ponder and HB took centre stage and MC Elmo accompanied them on the mic.

Keeping it underground for the first half of their sets, they started of with an obscure breakbeat selection and then moved into the kick driven stuff as their set wore on. MC Elmo contributed to the set in his own inimitable style, keeping it minimalist, aggressive and laying on a heavy stage presence to hype the crowd.

This, together with the pre-requisite awesome tune selection made for an entertaining hour from the boys from Elation. Tune wise, "Edge of forever", "This is Extreme", "Calling" and "Delerious" were all present, but it was the sets awesome danceability that really made it stand out for me. Nice one.

The next set was another from the London Hardcore's finest. Cris-E-Manic and Spenno were up to take us forward and did so with no encouragement from the now packed arena. The vocal and appreciative crowd were hungry for more and the DJ and the MC obliged and then some.

From the DJ's perspective, an obscure intro based on the Prodigy's "Charly" kicked off the set and from then on it didnt let up till her time was up. Tune selection was as diverse as always with Freeform stompers such as "The Machine" rubbing shoulders with upfront remixes of classics such as "Airhead". As well as that tunes from her own fiar hand like the very danceable "Just one more" kept company with classics like the one she finished off with the timeless "Everybody's Free".

Spenno, for his efforts was fully warmed up by this time. His relaxed and easygoing style complimented the music well, as well as the occasions he did go for it never failing to hype the already dangerously up for it crowd until the set came to an end.

In a concession to the "normal" rave procedure, the next DJ was a classic master of his chosen sound. It was time for the Vibes and Livelee Show but if you were expecting an hour of cheesy anthems, then think again.

For the most part their set was completely unknown to me. There was a few occassions when it all came flooding back, like "Party Time" and "Here I Am making an appearence for example, but for the rest of it, the DJ stayed faithful to the style of the rave and kept it underground with lots of obscure tunes I could not name, but was more than happy to dance to.

All this was complimented by another appearence from someone making and increasing amount of headway into the vocal scene. Livelee has well and truly returned and is doing what he does best by hyping the crowd with simple, yet effective rhymes that the ravers can relate to. This compliments Vibes's set well as the pair obviously work well together and did so right up till "Shining down on me" brought Vibes full circle and his set to a close.

Taking us further into the night, another London Jock and MC team, DJ Uplift, and MC ChitChat had the job of keeping the crowd dancing. Easy work for these two as the combination of a well known and liked tune selection and a lyricist who has proved he is comfortable and confident on the mic never fails to deliver.

Even easier for me when Uplift tune is one of my favourites, the Upfront remix of "Injected with a poison" never fails to get me moving and it proved to be the starter of a set of uninterrupted raving for me and the rest of the party crew around me.

The DJ and MC blended as one as only effortless crowd hypers on the decks and mic at the same time can. I totally lost it during this set and went for it with bells on as Uplift dropped "This is Extreme", "Things are getting better", "Overdrive", "You're the one for me" and finishing with his finest tune of the set, the awesome "Midnight resistance".

The next result was an exhausted astraboy when Uplift stood down. I werent sure who was on next, but I werent going to see them anyway. I had an appointment to keep with the Jenkins lane arch and I didnt want to miss it.

I always make time to rave in the jenkins lane arch at Raindance. There is no place like it, at least not that I have found and believe me I have looked. Until I do you'll find me spending at least an hour in here every Raindance I go to.

This time Nicky Dimensions was on when I arrived and MC Strict was doing the decent thing and keeping it minimalist on the mic. The two reasons I come here are simple. Music and Atmosphere. Nicky DM was more than fulfilling his side of the bargain with a musical jouney which began early (and I mean really early) and moving on from there.

The crowd were providing the rest. People from all walks of life were there to appreciate the music and were genererating an atmosphere to match the easygoing nature of the tunes. Starting off from way back with underground house and even an obscure mix of Michael Jackson's "Beat it".

Mr. Dimensions then took the crowd on a time travelling jouney, stopping off a various intervals to pick up some Acid house, a few well placed scratch-a-thons and a few tunes I could name as he progressed through the nineties such as "Everybody, all over the world", "LFO" and "Hideaway".

All too soon it was time to leave the Jenkins Lane arch, but I didnt mind. i was venturing back to the Hardcore arch for one reason. DJ Kaos's bookings have been a bit thin on the ground of late and I wanted to see him play again. Especially when I have been given a sneak preview of his tracklisting and knew what I was in for.

When I arrived back in the Red Arch Billy "Daniel" Bunter was finishing off his set. I was a little dissapointed to have missed his set, but his final tune got me in the mood for the remainder of the evening as he finished with the upfront remix of "Bodyslam".

Finally the wait was over. Kaos stepped up and Chit Chat returned to join him. Chit Chat summed my feelings when he said words to the effect of "The Next DJ is someone who is making a return to hardcore and its not before time either" and together they got on with the job at hand.

The first tune was a complete mystery to me, but the next one was obvious as soon as it was mixed in. It was a start of Kaos's classic Go Mental set and what better way to start than "Get f**ked"?

The BPMs went UP! The Atmosphere was right behind it too with a noticable increase in stomping from the crowd as the patented Kaos sound emenated from the system. I was loving every minute of it too as Kaos worked through his set and I stomped my guts out to it.

It was a reminder of darker times when the scene was hanging by a thread and people were committed not to let it go. The music was interwoven with that feeling and it all added up to me dancing like a man possessed to tunes I had not heard for too long. Kaos filled his sets with tunes you just dont hear nowadays like "Fukin voodoo magic", "Gotta be strong to survive", "Lay your hands on me" the glorious rush fest that is "Madworld" and finishing off his set (and nearly me while he was there) with "Nighttrain" I dont know about anyone else, but I didnt want it to end.

And before I go any further, I know what you're thinking. So don't. Cos he didn't. I only heard one and that was the fault of the wobbly left hand deck which caught a fair few DJs out on the night. So there.

Last set of the night and even though it would usually be at a time when I would be walking out the door, I werent leaving for love nor money. Kevin Energy was on last and I was more than happy for him to bring on his high energy (pun intended) Freeform sets to finish off the night on a high.

Not much of an increase in BPMs following from Kaos's set, but the different style and content of the music made for a nice distinction to finish the night. Of course Kev's usual top end tune selection spoke similar volumes.

The ravers were getting a little weary, but Kev and Chit chat were remorseless in their efforts to get them to dance. It certainally worked in my case, especially with the DJ knocking out tunes like "I have a Dream", "Theres no esacape", "turbobooster" and the freeform mix of "Chemical love".

Things I liked

Atmosphere - Raindance generates its very own atmosphere, unique to the rave. Words that come close to doing it justice are headonsitic, friendly, and a geuine example of how it used to be. I cant get enough of it.

Sound - The sound in the Red Arch is notoriously fickle. a guaranteed way to fix it is to bring Funktion one in. Raindance didnt do this, but the sound system they brought in still came up with the goods. Deep loud and clear all night. Nice one.

Heat - Another trademark of the red arch, yet with the EC fan mountain set up inside the arena, it was brought down to (just) bearable levels.

Music - Another aspect to Raindance which is unique. Its innovative DJ lineup is reflected in the music they play. Something special and memorable is always forthcoming at this rave.

Free stuff - Not seen this for a while. Free stuff is always good, but you hardly ever see it. I made sure I picked up a rave horn when they were being given out though

7am finish - You leave the venue when the trains start. No more needs to be said really.

Things I liked less:

7am finish in the Hardcore arch - Kev Energy had "Sound Assassins" all lined up then security descended and stamped their size 12s on the fun. Despite the fact it werent 7am yet and despite the all the other arenas still going full tilt. I especially disliked the way they got his attention, shining a torch in his eyes, yeah, nice one.

Performance of the rave: On pure tune selection it has to be Kaos. Haven't danced like that for quite a while, and it was totally down to the unique tune selection. In terms of running the place, it has to be all of the London Jocks and Micmen. That was your party chaps (and laydees) and it showed.

The blurb on a rave flyer is rarely what happens at the actual rave. But in the case of Raindance, what you read is what you get. Specifically "The Raindance festival is unique, 5 parties in one. All raves are not the same, Raindance, the party for those that know".

I cant fault it on any level. Its Dj lineup, musical arches and music contained within definitely make it unique. When you walk into each arch they all have their own atmosphere, so that qualifies the "5 parties in one" comment. And as for "All raves are not the same", heh, you're preaching to the choir mate

But its the last one that really does it for me. "Raindance, the party for those that know." This is the absolute truth and its understatement is also a rarity for flyer hype. If I had my way it would read "Raindance, the rave that needs no hype, the party for those that know." Simply because its the truth. The party is rarely talked up in the circles I move in, it just appears, sells out and then the party crew descend en masse and have the time of their lives. Every single time I go.

This is why Raindance is a seperate entity from the rest of the parties on the circuit. Its a last gasp from way back when. A snapshot of how it used to be. When the music is more important than the DJs that play it and when the crowd are all on the same wavelength and happy to be where they are.

What an awesome rave. No different from normal then. See you at the next one.
astraboy.
Old 25 February 2005, 11:28 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

Wow - cant beleive raindance are still going.

My mum moved house last weekend and I went home and picked up a load of stuff from the loft, including my flyer collection.

Some absolute gems in there, including the first ever 'Energy' rave, Raindance, Passion, The Eclipse, Dreamscape, all the old classics!

Also all my old hardcore tapes!!!!

Top-top-top buzz!
Old 25 February 2005, 11:32 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

you not grown out of that music yet astraboy? House will find you soon
Old 25 February 2005, 11:39 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I remember one of my mates having the biggest flyer collection known to man - a whole pull-out drawer. We weren't even allowed to look through them in case they got damaged.
Old 25 February 2005, 02:42 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

heh, you want to sell them?
oh yeah, forgot...
Shouts to: Kaylene, Grob & Rainbow drops, Wendy and Goat-E, Paul Z, Moonlight sparrow, Cheery Cherry, baby D, Charlotte (.5 of two's company) Disrputa, Mike, Delusion, Matt Wildcard and Lauren, Emma, Tenz, Gim Overdrive, Dave Skywalker, Barticle (Listened to that tape while writing this mate!) Jordan lost soul (Mashed!!!!!), DJ Cruz, Moron, Ravin_Bunny, Lady Angelic, Wobbly Egg (nice to meet you) Venetian Baztard, Ed_E, mark E, Sarah Wiles, Nitechild Coriolis, Grant Epidemik,
Spenno, Strict, ChitChat, Elmo, Kaos, Ponder, HB, Uplift, Cris-E-Manic and Dan Desire, Energy, Lukozade, D-Ice, Reality, Sy, Vibes, Richard Raindance (thank you very much) and anyone else I have forgotten. Probably loads so shouts to everyone who was there, it was a pleasure.
Old 25 February 2005, 02:59 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

Originally Posted by astraboy
heh, you want to sell them?
oh yeah, forgot...
Shouts to: Kaylene, Grob & Rainbow drops, Wendy and Goat-E, Paul Z, Moonlight sparrow, Cheery Cherry, baby D, Charlotte (.5 of two's company) Disrputa, Mike, Delusion, Matt Wildcard and Lauren, Emma, Tenz, Gim Overdrive, Dave Skywalker, Barticle (Listened to that tape while writing this mate!) Jordan lost soul (Mashed!!!!!), DJ Cruz, Moron, Ravin_Bunny, Lady Angelic, Wobbly Egg (nice to meet you) Venetian Baztard, Ed_E, mark E, Sarah Wiles, Nitechild Coriolis, Grant Epidemik,
Spenno, Strict, ChitChat, Elmo, Kaos, Ponder, HB, Uplift, Cris-E-Manic and Dan Desire, Energy, Lukozade, D-Ice, Reality, Sy, Vibes, Richard Raindance (thank you very much) and anyone else I have forgotten. Probably loads so shouts to everyone who was there, it was a pleasure.
Hmmm, I'll have a think. Would kinda be like selling a big chunk of my past, they used to be my pride and joy, I had literally a whole room covered, plus folders full of em

having said that, I am a terrible hoarder and I am trying to stop it, so it would be better than them sittingand and then in a drawer somewhere...

I'll have a look through em this weekend and see how I feel.
Old 25 February 2005, 03:56 PM
Gav1
Scooby Regular

Hey fellas, used to go to Shelleys and Entropy in Stoke on Trent back in the day(1989-92)...fantastic times and people, went to a few Raindance organised events back then!! There are some fantastic clips to download at this site:

www.oldskoolhomeland.ukf.net

Enjoy..Gav.