Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Thinking about a short trip to Rome

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2005, 10:20 AM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking about a short trip to Rome

Was planning on taking a trip with the girlfriend to Rome at the end of April/beginning of May. Will be flying to Rome Ciampino airport and wanted to stay somewhere that isnt too far from the airport, under 30mins in the taxi if poss.

How far is the airport from the centre of Rome itself?

For anyone ever been there can you suggest good places to stay and places to visit?

Cheers,

Neil.
Old 24 February 2005, 10:38 AM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's no more than 30 mins into central Rome anyway - assuming that is the normal Rome Airport. Just watch the Taxi drivers - really dodgy. I got conned totally and dropped at the wrong place - then like a complete numptie got done again when the taxi driver made out i had given him a 10 euro note instead of a 50 euro note....so i gave him another....yeah I know - my pride is still hurting 12 months later !
Old 24 February 2005, 11:06 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went there for a long weekend a couple of years ago. Get the train; no way of getting ripped off and it's an excellent service.

They built a new station at the airport, so it's non-stop and takes around 30/45 mins IIRC. You just walk out Arrivals and the station's sign posted all the way (5-10min walk) through the terminal.

We stayed in a nice 4-star up near the Vatican City and we just took the Metro and it was no more than another 10-15min walk.

It's a great city and prices for a good hotel in the centre aren't that expensive. I think I paid around £65 per night for a 4* double-room with a 5min Metro journey right into the city centre.

Stefan
Old 24 February 2005, 11:40 AM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Been a few times, always staying in apartments in the Trastevere District. Trastevere is the old Rome and for me it has the most character. It's near just about everything and the surrounding huge parks and botanical gardens are beautiful, well worth a stroll. Loads of 'real' excellent restaurants, pizzerias, bars and shops selling fresh produce, home made pasta etc. Plenty of night life with open air drinking where you can just chill and watch all the beautiful people posing The Piazza S. Maria in Trastevere is home to the city's oldest official church, founded in about AD 220 if your into that sort of thing, and even if you're not its well worth looking inside for the cracking architecture. We got a taxi from the airport the first time, wasnt that dear but after that we just got trains and the excellent trams everywhere. Never had to pay either, no one seems to bother with tickets, a bit like Amsterdam

Do a quick google on Trastevere, loads of info on it.
Old 24 February 2005, 11:50 AM
Jye
Scooby Regular

This was the last place we stayed, seemed pretty good with a nice terrace for a bit of sunbathing. Think they have spaces in April but not a lot left tbo.

http://www.realrome.com/propbologna.html

Last edited by Jye; 24 February 2005 at 11:57 AM.
Old 24 February 2005, 12:28 PM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

Yes, we used the Train to get back to the airport and it was a very good service (Leonardo Di Vinci express or something like it).

I stayed in the older area, 5 mins walk to Trevi Fountain and Spanish steps. We tended to walk mostly as distances were reasonable and it's a lovely city, but the subway is good too.
Old 24 February 2005, 12:52 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

We went for my wifes 30th b'day a few years ago for the weekend. Loved it. Got the train from the airport to Rome. Got a taxi from their to the hotel (rip off price of couse). Wife loved the shopping. We both loved the history of the place. Some intersting places we went to (walking distance from hotel)..

Romam Forum
Colosium
Palantine Hill
Trevi Fountain
plus a load of other I can't recall (missed the Pantheon and Vatican unfortunatly)

We went in January and had bright sunshine and faily mild temps all weekend.

Try the local pizza places. Freshly squeezed orange juice (while you wait) and a really nice pizza for lunch

Watch out for the scooters and generally manic car drivers. Pedestian crossings are a game of bluf. If the driver thinks you're going to give way when it's your priority, he'll go through. Look like you're going to cross anyway and he'll stop (hopefully)..