Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Guitar Effects Software

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2005, 09:00 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Guitar Effects Software

Just been talking to my daughter who's interested in getting effects for her electric guitar, it occured to me that there might be some software about that would take the input from her guitar - process it - and then hopefully pass it back out so it can got her amp.

I'm pretty good with computers - but not too hot at music software, any one got ideas for software (preferably share/freeware )
Old 23 February 2005, 10:09 PM
One_Lung
Scooby Regular

Smile

I would only use my computer to record riffs/songs.
Effect pedals are the way to go. whether Single or multi effects. Some effects now have USB to go straight into the PC, so looks like its moving that way. but obviously you can go into the 'line in' and stuff.
I prefer foot pedals cause its just you and the guitar in your hands. No sitting down and letting go of the guitar to use the mouse to change to a overdrive patch. its much more free, much more 'real' if thats the right expression!

You probably know, but Kazaa is the place for finding the software if thats the path you take
Old 23 February 2005, 10:11 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

FX pedal is the only way to go. Zoom, Korg or Digitech IMHO. OR a Line 6 POD if you've got loadsa money.

As One Lung said, PC/Macs are only really used for the processing of recorded audio. If that's what she wants to do, then Amplitube is the ONLY plugin you'll need - great amp simulator

HTH

Dan
Old 23 February 2005, 10:15 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

There is some, but can't for the life of me remember what it was called. There is a drawback with it though in that because it's software, it takes a while to process so there is actually a slight delay (about half a second) before the sound is generated through the PC. The hardware (well, firmware) of a proper FX pedal is a lot better

Quick search on google turned up http://guitarfx.net/ and http://www.guitar-fxbox.com/ as some starters for you. Just search for guitar fx on google.
Old 23 February 2005, 10:32 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by RJMS
Just been talking to my daughter who's interested in getting effects for her electric guitar, it occured to me that there might be some software about that would take the input from her guitar - process it - and then hopefully pass it back out so it can got her amp.
There is mate - and you won't need an amp either as it simulates that too. A good set of head phones will do instead = bliss... It sounds unbelievably realistic, highly recommended!! Native Instruments Guitar Rig VST PC

Reviews here - http://www.harmony-central.com/Softw...VST_PC-01.html

UB
Old 23 February 2005, 10:59 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

i like the line6 pod xt. its 240 quids tho. they tend to go for 180 used on ebay.

the guitar port is also good (also from line6) and is under 100. the pod is better tho.

both of these use modelling technology which imo is FAR superior to effects pedals. of course straight into a cranked tube amp sounds better than both, but that's not really usable at bedroom volume levels.
Old 23 February 2005, 11:45 PM
shug
Scooby Regular

Probably the cheapest thing to buy would be
Line 6 GuitarPort
here for £89 http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/s...4/category_id/

or with rifftracker recording software included for £169
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/s...8/category_id/

These are basically an interface with a USB port for connecting to the PC
extra effects and amp sims can be downloaded for a price from Line 6

I was going to buy one a few months ago but ended up getting a Digitech GNX4 for £470
Old 24 February 2005, 07:09 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the recommendations - I can hear her now using Guitar FX - seems to be quite good - no perceptible processing delay on her AMD Athlon 2200.

I'll have a look at some of the others over the weekend.