Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Digital TV via satellite, what are the options?

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2005, 04:45 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Digital TV via satellite, what are the options?

At the moment where we live we can only get BBC1, BBC2, ITV1 & CH4. Freeview doesn't cover our area, nor does NTL or Telewest, that leaves our only option as Sky (I think - unless there's something else I don't know about). We only really want digital tv so that we can get BBC1, 2, 3, ITV 1 & 2, CH4, CH5, Motors TV, British Eurosport & E4.

So, if we're going to have to go down the Sky route then we might as well go for Sky+ as it's free at the moment but, you can only get Sky+ free as a new subscriber if you subscribe to a Premium channel which we're really not bothered about and which puts the price up, otherwise Sky+ costs an extra tenner a month. So it actually works out that it would be cheaper to subscribe to a Premium channel and Sky+ than to the budget package and Sky+

I've looked at FreeSat which is ok but that means we couldn't get Sky+, British Eurosport & E4.

Why do Sky make it so bloody complicated to subscribe? Why can't you subscribe to just the channels you want for a fee per channel?

Anyway, what I'd like to know before I commit to Sky is are there any other options that I haven't considered?
Old 23 February 2005, 04:47 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you not use your PC to get all the channels??

Just an idea .............. failling that, sell the Caravan and buy a House like the rest of us!!

Pete
Old 23 February 2005, 04:51 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Sky is Free - Sky+ is £99. You get free installation if you choose to have a 2nd box for £10 (a month) in another room, but you have to go for the full channel package.
Old 23 February 2005, 04:55 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

My dad has just upped his subscription to Sky+, he opted for the 2nd box to get the free installation, however what Sky didn't tell him at the time he ordered was that he would only be able to recieve the freeview channels on his 2nd box regardless of the package he subscribes to
Old 23 February 2005, 04:57 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobychick
My dad has just upped his subscription to Sky+, he opted for the 2nd box to get the free installation, however what Sky didn't tell him at the time he ordered was that he would only be able to recieve the freeview channels on his 2nd box regardless of the package he subscribes to
Yeah you need a "mirror" sub at £12/month (IIRC) on top of your viewing package to be able to make use of your subscription on a second physical box.
Old 23 February 2005, 05:02 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I'd go for a distribution box rather than a second box unless you have lots of people in the house. With us we would only watch the TV upstairs when we go to bed rather than as a second TV so this approach works fine.

While Sky+ is pretty funky, are you going to get enough benefit out of it to justify the cost? What about standard Sky with a separate DVD recorder with slip time (i.e. an internal hard disk), which will give you much of the same functionality such as pausing live TV etc, you just wouldn't have the 1 press series repeat, you'd have to duplicate the settings on the DVD recorder.
Old 23 February 2005, 05:09 PM
kammy
Scooby Regular

TBH most of it is utter crap. Do your self a favour, save your money and just download full episodes off the net, BiT Torent (SPG??) Im already upto episode 15 of desperate housewives, and dont get me started on how **** the new Simpsons are (shown in the USA already.)
Invest in a decent comp and net connection. I have a digital TV car for my comp and only use it for a bit of music in the background.
Kam
Old 23 February 2005, 05:27 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

One option is to not get it and bask in the knowledge that you're not a chav by subscribing to Sky.

I cancelled my subscription last year, when i phoned up they asked why i wanted to cancel. I told them i didn't think the service was targeted for, or suitable for, a person like me.

They asked me to elaborate so i said, "well you have adverts every 10 minutes for products like debt consolidation loans, 0% platinum cards, accident claim helplines, 'free up the capitol in your house' loans etc etc. I'm not some scrounging pikey dolite scumbag, so it gets right up my bracket being force-fed this rubbish 24/7". "Plus most of the shows are a load of low-brow $hite anyway - 'When Hospital Operations Go Wrong 5', 'Police, Chav, Action! 4', Football, Golf etc etc."

They didn't seem to have much of a counter argument against that.

There's hardly any rallying on. That, the Simpsons, and BBC news were about all I watched so i don't really miss it.

Plus it means i get to spend more time on Scoobynet instead.