Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

GATSO question

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2005, 06:51 PM
benjai
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question GATSO question

Why would a GATSO flash when ther is no-one there? Do they discharge the flash every so often for a laugh?
One flashed at me this morning from the other side of a dual carriageway! There are no markings on the road on my side, and the camera specifically targets the other carriageway which was empty.... so..... It wasn't me.... right? onder2: So I shouldn't expect a little surprise in the post should I?

Just out of interest, I thought convictions were based on the measurements from the white lines (although this is quoted as being a "back-up"), so can you be done if there aren't any - and if so, where can you buy black paint
Old 18 February 2005, 07:02 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by benjai
Why would a GATSO flash when ther is no-one there? Do they discharge the flash every so often for a laugh?
One flashed at me this morning from the other side of a dual carriageway! There are no markings on the road on my side, and the camera specifically targets the other carriageway which was empty.... so..... It wasn't me.... right? onder2: So I shouldn't expect a little surprise in the post should I?

Just out of interest, I thought convictions were based on the measurements from the white lines (although this is quoted as being a "back-up"), so can you be done if there aren't any - and if so, where can you buy black paint
Were you speeding? If so, chances are it was flashing you! .
But only photos taken from the rear are admissible for an NIP. So you'll not be getting an unwelcome letter through the post, at least not for that transgression.

Be careful out there :-)
Old 18 February 2005, 07:10 PM
benjai
Scooby Regular

Moi.... Speeding..... Surely not!

Is the radar in the GATSO that unfocussed that it goes off if it detects anything speeding, anywhere! I was about 200yards away at 45 degrees!

BTW, thanks for the advice.... cruise mode on for a while at least....
Old 18 February 2005, 07:29 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

some Gatsos take photos on both sides of road but I am not sure whether its to catch cars going on the wrong side of the road or its to catch them both ways..some one on ere must know... powerman
Old 18 February 2005, 08:27 PM
King RA
BANNED

I've been in the same situation and been flashed going the wrong way MANY times, infact I try and do it to the cameras locally. It's nothing to worry about and the angle the flash goes off at is very sharp....I'd say more than 45 degrees.
Old 18 February 2005, 08:28 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

GATSOs will be triggered by anything in their range exceeding the speed limit. The signal isn't a single straight line like a laser, but spreads out more like a torch beam with a wide angle lens on it.

However, only photos taken from behind are used to prosecute. As you were heading towards the camera, you don't need to expect an unwelcome envelope.

There's a Gatso outside the local pub which is aimed downhill (in a 40) to catch people speeding back from the Peak District. It can be fun on a summer Sunday afternoon to watch the bikers gong uphill on their way to the Peaks deliberately setting it off (and with no front numberplates........)
Old 18 February 2005, 09:01 PM
Chris5-0
Scooby Regular

Bit dangerous this thread.

You can and do get prosecuted for forward facing speed camera, they're not gatso's but another type (i forget the name). Usually there's a single white line on your side with the camera on the other. They look different as well (round lens aperture instead of square) but as far as i know do get you head on.

If you were not speeding then it may have been on test mode to get some practice in so to speak, (we had thousands of phone calls about a certain camera in Manchester that was flashing everyone, i was told it was being tested!)

So be careful out there!!

Trending Topics

Old 18 February 2005, 09:39 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris5-0
Bit dangerous this thread.

You can and do get prosecuted for forward facing speed camera, they're not gatso's but another type (i forget the name). Usually there's a single white line on your side with the camera on the other. They look different as well (round lens aperture instead of square) but as far as i know do get you head on.

If you were not speeding then it may have been on test mode to get some practice in so to speak, (we had thousands of phone calls about a certain camera in Manchester that was flashing everyone, i was told it was being tested!)

So be careful out there!!
Truvelo. You can't really see the flash tho as its IR!
Old 18 February 2005, 09:42 PM
Chris5-0
Scooby Regular

Smile

We did, flying through one last week after a cheeky chap with no lights on!!! (11.30pm!!) Almost caused a bloody accident!!!!
Old 18 February 2005, 10:12 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by powerman1
some Gatsos take photos on both sides of road

No they don't
Old 18 February 2005, 10:18 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Chris5-0
We did, flying through one last week after a cheeky chap with no lights on!!! (11.30pm!!) Almost caused a bloody accident!!!!
So i take it this was you then #
scroll down to post #10

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...76#post4314476
Old 18 February 2005, 11:04 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

The ones around here are definetly GATSO's and the marker lines are on both sides of the road...... Leeds area.. powerman
Old 18 February 2005, 11:08 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Chris TREVLOS is what your looking for or maybe SPECS which are distance measuring between two cameras and the average is the decider
Old 19 February 2005, 10:33 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

As far as I know, Gatsos should not flash an approaching car, especially because of the risk of dazzling the driver. Certainly cant catch you for speeding anyway.

The radar doppler effect should only trigger the camera with a reduction of frequency in the returning radar echo. So if it does flash an approaching car, and I have seen that too, it must be a fault in the equipment.

Les
Old 19 February 2005, 10:34 AM
wide
Scooby Regular

The gatsos with lines both directions of traffic are only there for a car overtaking another away from the gatso. If it flashes while you are driving towards it you are ok
Old 19 February 2005, 05:11 PM
Chris5-0
Scooby Regular

Smile

DAZZA01

LOL, no not me!!

Nice to see Road Rage on here again, otherwise known as 'I'm going to make myself look like an incompetant fool on SKY'

Lost count of how many times one of them gives the incorrect caution when arresting someone. Or how many times they put violent people in the back of cars and drive off!! Or that PRAT who put his fingers into the druggies mouth cus he'd swallowed something!!!! HELLO!!! AIDS MEAN NOTHING TO YOU? He ended up waiting 3 months to see if he was HIV+! Not to mention Hep B or C. His own lookout if he dies of ingesting crack/heroin etc!

I watch it for a laugh, perhaps i'll start a new drinking game. Every time one of them does something stupid, gets it hopelessly wrong or just seems to lose the will to live and does something very dangerous i'll have a shot of J.D.

My god i'll be an alcoholic!!!