Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Slow impact crash. Advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2005, 08:40 PM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow impact crash. Advice needed.

My housemate had a crash a few weeks ago. He basically drove into the back of another car at slow speed (less than 10 miles an hour). He knows this for sure as he was stationery waiting at a T junction and the person in front started to pull away and then braked heavily.

Intially he thought he was not going to go through the insurance company as he thought the damage would be minor. The claimant now says that boot won't close, there is major damage to the vehcile and now wants to claim for whiplash and loss of earnings!!!!!

Luckily he notified the insurance company the day after the incident and they have all the details on record. He wants to know what he should do now.

Just after some advice from anyne else who has gone through this. The blame culture in this country is shocking and people are always out for a quick buck at the expense of others.

Thanks in advance.

HomerJ.
Old 16 February 2005, 08:53 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Angry

rant mode on!!!

It happened to me last week mate...

dont jump to conclusions either!!!

i was struck when stopped in a que by some guy who locked up and skidded into me.. 30 mph max

my towbar and bumper took the brunt...

the damage looks minor.. until you dig deep

bumper towbar paint lanour and body alignment jigging..

£1500

plus i got whacked into the seatrest, suffered whiplash, and now have severe back pain as a result

i object to your comment

" The blame culture in this country is shocking and people are always out for a quick buck at the expense of others."

will you or your mate stump up ffor the repairs??

will you or your mate be paying for my lost earnings, the pain i have to suffer
daily cos my back is fecked??

if my scoob is written off, who is out of pocket???? ME!!!!!

bottom line is this
your mate wasnt paying attention and rear ended someone else.

rightly so, they want there losses covering.

rant mode off

Mart
Old 16 February 2005, 08:57 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

I would say just let the insurance company handle it.

My sister rear-ended someone ( she was driving MY car at the time )at low speed in the same sort of situation. After they had jumped out the car to have a go at her, they started the old "oooh my neck is really sore, oooh my back hurts" routine The front of my car was damaged with cracked headlights and scored paint, but their car only had a tiny scuff on the bumper. They elected to go through insurance.

My sister then spent the next week being bombarded by phone calls from no-win-no-fee type places asking her questions about the accident as their clients were making a claim against her. She just told them to speak to her insurance company.
She gave an honest account to the insurance company and left it at that.

My view is that the onus was then on her insurance company to sort it out. If they put a wee bit of effort into their research they would see straight through the other peoples bogus medical complaints and huge repair bill (bent floor, new rear suspension blah blah) and not pay them a penny.
OR
if they didnt bother to investigate it and paid them what they were claiming for, the insurance company deserved to be ripped off.

Either way, my sister came out of it all with a claim against here, but didnt have to pay anything.
Old 16 February 2005, 09:00 PM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

Fair comment really. If you seriously have a justified claim then I completely agree with you. From past experience feel that sometimes people try to make something out of nothing.

Just find it hard to believe that all that damage comes from a small shunt. It is not even like he drives a quick car and accelerates hard off the line.

I can admit that what I said may have been out of line but everything needs to be taken in context!

Just after a honest opinion and past experiences from other people. Didn't wish to offend!
Old 16 February 2005, 09:06 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

no offence taken,

because you cant see where the impact has been absorbed / dissapated you have to jig the car.... money money money

re david...

fine, let the insurance companys handle it,

and if the cars written off, i loose 1.5k(min) and you think thats fair...

Mart
Old 16 February 2005, 09:15 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
no offence taken,

because you cant see where the impact has been absorbed / dissapated you have to jig the car.... money money money

re david...

Mart
yes, let them handle it.
we pay them a huge amount of money each year to insure us in case of accidents.
If they do their job and investigate the claims thoroughly, then they will quickly identify the scammers in my case from the genuine claims in your case.

If your claim is genuine (im not saying yours isnt, just a general statement)and your car is written off, the insurance comapany involved should pay out accordingly.
Old 16 February 2005, 09:16 PM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

There are alwys people who should not be on the road. People who drive too fast and are out of control and people who do not have the confidence to be in a car. The world is not a perfect place but a degree of tolerance would make things run a lot more smoothly.

Philosohpy ramble over. Keep em coming!

Originally Posted by mart360
no offence taken,

re david...

Mart

Trending Topics

Old 16 February 2005, 09:34 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David_Dickson
yes, let them handle it.
we pay them a huge amount of money each year to insure us in case of accidents.
If they do their job and investigate the claims thoroughly, then they will quickly identify the scammers in my case from the genuine claims in your case.

If your claim is genuine (im not saying yours isnt, just a general statement)and your car is written off, the insurance comapany involved should pay out accordingly.

but only bloody book value.... therfore i stand to loose 1.5k

who will compensate me for that loss!!!!! i loose the scoob and mr no brains looses part of his ncb...

and thats fair???????

Mart
Old 16 February 2005, 09:47 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

why is your car worth 1.5k over book value?
Old 16 February 2005, 09:56 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

it wasnt when i bought it....

but thats how insurance co,s make money.... although you state a value when you insure, the most they pay out is book price...

factor in the dealer puts on a profit which you cover in your purchase price..

2 years of ownership, parts replaced / maintenance and it mounts up

so you would be quite happy to write off your wrx say and accept book value on the car. knowing that unless you put in more cash, you wont be able to replace like for like..

result out of pocket!!!

1.5k was a ballpark figure... but its not far off given that i part exed my saab to purchase the scoob..

Mart