Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

property in spain

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2005, 09:40 PM
negri
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default property in spain

my parent are thinking of moving to spain for good , i was wondering if any one has done this and has some advise on what to and not to do , also if you have any websites that are worth looking at to get an idea of prices , your help is appreciated,
Old 13 February 2005, 10:14 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

amount of tax's and new laws of how to screw the people with more tax's bud, it seems a good idea i swear

good on them
Old 13 February 2005, 10:22 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

What i got told a few years ago is that if you buy a house you also take on the debts of the people who lived at that house. Debts are not attached to the person but the property. It might have changed now but that was the case a few years ago.
Old 13 February 2005, 10:48 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Yes the above still applies.

A top notch solicitor is worth it's weight in gold - to ensusr the property has it's escatura and is a registered deveolpment and cannot be sold off by the local government to builders.

One thing you might want to ask the parents is where they want to live...do they really want to live next door to the people they are moving away from? (i.e the English! ). If that's a no then it would rule out alot of new urbanisations and devolpments, also the English colonies and resorts.

Bear in mind that the English populated towns are alot more expensive to live in, not just property but also food, drink and restaurants. Personally, I find many of these places very souless as well.

Most large property sellers such as MASA and Atlas are only interesting in selling you new or recent developments. They are literally "racked and stacked" in terms of getting as many properties on the smallest amount of land. Many devopments take longer than they say to complete - meaning if you buy a new house, you may have to wait anything upto and over 12months before it is finished.

Although it maybe worthwhile going with these companies as prospective buyers to get a ideas of which areas they like and what type of proerty your parents want. Masa are quite good for this, they do subsidised travel, free food and accomodation. But it's very intensive and draining, with lots of travelling involved, although there is no pressure to buy.

If they are moving for the weather, make sure they know it's not all sunshine and hot temperatures, especially at this time of year. I got back last week and it was freezing. Literally! Colder than the UK at night. And when it rains, it pours! Obviously weather depends on which part of spain. But it's something to consider.

Last edited by ALi-B; 13 February 2005 at 10:51 PM.
Old 13 February 2005, 11:30 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

My mother and step-father moved over to a caravan site near Antequera last September. It's not a permanent move, as they are still renting out the house back home, but they don't intend to come back for years. After they've had enough out there, they plan to move on again, possible to the states.
They did a lot of research before they moved, looked at a lot of areas, and settled on Antequera because it's not got a large ex-pat community. That was almost top of the list of things they wanted. The caravan they're in is more like a bungelow, and was made in the uk, and shipped over to thier spec.
The site they're on has a wonderful pool, both indoor and outdoor, and guest facilities in both a hotel near by, and converted stables.
We've been over 3 times now, last was january 1st for spanish xmas, and it was bloody freezing at night, much much colder than uk. Still like a warm autumn day during the day though
Your parents have got to go to various areas of spain before they make a decision, and if they want to go native, they MUST learn the lingo.
Good luck to them in the end though, and after seeing what my parents have done, and how much happier they are, it is something for me to aim for in later life.

On a side note, my oldest brother is about to emigrate to Spain as well, (was it something I said? ) Quite a different approach, needed access to kids school for his son, and moving into a flat on a complex, which looks to be in a very strong touristy and ex-pat resort, urg!

chris.
Old 14 February 2005, 07:34 PM
negri
Scooby Regular

thanks for your repies people.
they have been thinking about it for some time now , they know the weather aint gonna be great all the time.
they are away over on wed to have a look , was really just asking on here cause it doesnt matter what the question is some one always has the answer or good advice , thanks