Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Interesting stuff near the M6 to keep the kids and Mrs happy?

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2005, 09:21 PM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Interesting stuff near the M6 to keep the kids and Mrs happy?

Going on a round trip tomorrow from the Midlands to Carlisle and back with the wife and kids.

Is there anything of interest not too far from the motorway from Stafford upwards?

Are there any retail parks near the M6 on that stretch (i.e. only a few miles off the motorway). Any places that would keep the kids (6 and 8) amused?

Someone at work mentioned that JCB had a visitor centre, but I couldn't find any mention of it on their website. (Bit far off the M6 too). Don't think Camelot is too far away from the motorway, but probably too expensive to pass an hour or so.

Need some clothes shops and something to keep the kids interested and tire them out!

Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Old 11 February 2005, 11:56 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Visiting Stan Palmer's here in Carlisle ???

Just wondering where you were thinking of stopping ? I worked in Manchester and moved to Carlisle a couple of years ago and had several trips up the M6 house hunting along with the kids (then 4 and 6) !!

There is not much on the M6 at all between Manchester and carlisle apart from the odd service station with a Burger King !!

Midlife.....
Old 12 February 2005, 12:19 AM
Lum
Scooby Regular

A little bit futher south than you asked for, but there's Star City off Junction 6 which is a big retail and entertainment complex.

Failing that, if you find anything interesting please let me know. I regularly get to do Aylesbury <-> Edinburgh so spend a lot of time very bored on that motorway.

You could always detour M56 -> M60 -> Trafford Centre -> M60 -> M62 -> M6. It's a bit of a hike but the Trafford Centre is pretty decent and has a huge branch of Namco for the kids to spend money in and you'd only be stuck on the Thelwal Viaduct anyway so wouldn't lose that much time :P
Old 12 February 2005, 03:14 AM
BexTait
Scooby Regular

Location: Drink, drink, wherever you may be, we are the drunk and disorderly (owner of 5 fairy tokens)

Originally Posted by Lum
A little bit futher south than you asked for, but there's Star City off Junction 6 which is a big retail and entertainment complex.

Failing that, if you find anything interesting please let me know. I regularly get to do Aylesbury <-> Edinburgh so spend a lot of time very bored on that motorway.

You could always detour M56 -> M60 -> Trafford Centre -> M60 -> M62 -> M6. It's a bit of a hike but the Trafford Centre is pretty decent and has a huge branch of Namco for the kids to spend money in and you'd only be stuck on the Thelwal Viaduct anyway so wouldn't lose that much time :P
Thelwel's fully opened northbound now (opened mid Dec), and last time I went over southbound (31st Jan) they were resurfacing the second half of the S bound carriageway, so it may well be fully opened now.

As for what to do, there is visitor centers in the Lakes on the way up, some way off the M6, as is White Scar Caves in Ingleton which has tours (80mins approx long) running dependent on the weather which again is about 30-45 mins off the M6 (junctions 34 or 36)

Bex
Old 12 February 2005, 08:13 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Thelwall is fully open during the day now

If you do M6 --> M62 towards Liverpool there's always Ikea at Warrington (about 5 mins from the M6) to keep the Mrs happy and they have a kids play area.
Old 12 February 2005, 08:35 AM
andy1505
Scooby Regular

Cheshire Oaks?