Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Low GI Diet

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2005, 01:29 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low GI Diet

Have been following this since last July and have lost 10 lbs. Only 1lb more to go to target! Slow and steady, never going up at any point - but sometimes standing still for a while.

I love the food and find I'm hardly ever hungry or feeling deprived at all. Plus the docs seem to think it's a good idea.

Anyone else giving it a whirl? Seems to make a lot of nutritional sense.....
Old 11 February 2005, 01:31 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

What is it ?
Old 11 February 2005, 01:32 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Been keeping 'low GI' for a year now. Lost 2 stone in that period too. It's not a 'diet' as such anymore, it's just what I eat. Nothing is off the list either, just keep most stuff low GI and you won't go far wrong. You don't feel hungry either which is a particular bugbear of mine when it comes to all the other diets.
Old 11 February 2005, 01:32 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Tonight with Trevor McDonald features the GI diet tonight at 8:00pm on ITV

Eat ealthy and get more exercise........ fancy diets ... pah
Old 11 February 2005, 01:54 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

I'm ok 'cos i am sixteen stone of pure muscle.......but which is covered by almost 4 stone of manafactured lard. ok i'm listening what is a low GI diet
i'm all ears.
Old 11 February 2005, 02:02 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/diet/gi_diet.htm

GI, Glycaemic Index. Seems a bit like food combining but based mainly on how you balance out carbs.
Old 11 February 2005, 02:32 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's all about how carbs affect your blood sugar levels. Simple stuff like chocolate and sugary foods give you rapid rises in levels, followed by sugar crashes. Makes you feel hungry quicker, so you eat more.

Stuff like porridge oats gives slow releases of sugar & energy so you don't feel hungry as quickly afterwards. Therefore you don't eat as much.

To be frank, rather than looking at diets that are far too regimented (I mean who really wants to work out GI indexes every day), cut out junk food and look at the sugar levels in your normal food. Cut out so-called diet foods (e.g. yogurts) and you should see weight loss as all the extra sugar is taken out your diet.

Normally stuff that's sold as low-fat is just loaded with simple sugary carbs and that makes you gain weight too.

DBW,

Once you've lost the final 1lb (and well done for reaching a goal) are you gonna give up the diet??

Stefan
Old 11 February 2005, 02:45 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Personally I carried on with it but not religiously. Basically keep high GI to a minimum (a book I have lists what most foodtypes are) but some here and there is ok. Probably the biggest change was changing to granary type bread rather than white and also an apple or two a day. Everything else fell into place as I don't feel hungry. I would agree that the best thing to do is cut out junk food as well. I go for a takeaway once every 2 weeks or so (dominos usually ) and haven't had a maccy dees or bk for a longtime. They don't even appeal anymore.

Ultimately eat less, exercise more. However, knowing a bit more about what you eat makes this easier and more productive.
Old 11 February 2005, 02:50 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

As DBW has been on it, i have been too. i can vouch that it all tastes very nice so i suppose ive been 'on a diet' without knowing it; so to answer Ozzy, i dont think we need to 'give up' anything - just carry on as normal
Old 11 February 2005, 03:30 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

So it's not as radical a change as Atkins then. I'm not a fan of having to measure every bit of food that enters my gob or spend 3hrs in a Supermarket picking the 'right' foods from a handbook.

Can you give an example of what you would eat in a typical day on this diet?
Old 11 February 2005, 03:42 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

no certainly not as mental as aitkins. erm....i'll come clean in not fully understanding the technical details only the end result of my wonderful wife & her wonderful home cooking is that its very tasty. Yeah granary bread is the main thing(ive heard 'buckwheat' been mentioned several times ) over to DBW
Old 11 February 2005, 03:49 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

edited,no offence Ozzy its just i cant understand why people dont just eat less junk food and walk more.

My advice is eat more carbs=more energy=doing more therefore burning more calories.

Last edited by paulr; 11 February 2005 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11 February 2005, 03:51 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Is that directed at me?
Old 11 February 2005, 03:59 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

i think what ozzy has said there is exactly right...
Old 11 February 2005, 04:02 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

I would take offence to anyone suggesting I'm lazy and want to avoid eating less and exercising more. For someone who trains twice per day, 6-days a week (about 12hrs of hard graft - no slacking here thank you very much) it would be a bit rich coming from anyone other than a professional athlete.

cheeky ******; just as well I'm thick skinned
Old 11 February 2005, 04:04 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

don't worry m8, I'm not offended. Like I say, I'm very thick skinned
Old 11 February 2005, 06:27 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

It's not strictly regimented at all - I hate those diets too. Plus it's not so much a diet in terms of something you just do to loose weight - it's more of a diet as in a way of eating where you happen to loose weight because the foods are healthy and a good thing to be eating.

It automatically cuts out most fast food and I like it because it's flexible and easy to follow when you're eating out.

Also, one of the main principles is to eat smaller amounts of food but more often - they recommend you eat 3 meals a day, plus 3 snacks (or 2 snacks and a pud).

Typical menu:

Brekkie: (Weekend) Slice of granary toast with mushrooms and scrambled eggs - during the week a slice of toasted rye bread with a banana - or 'proper' muselie (the ones without all the added sugar, but with plenty of oats). OR (a personal favourite) a slice of granary bread with peanut butter (no added sugar!)

Lunch: Think sarnies with granary bread or rice salads made with wild or basmati rice and some chicken

Dinner: Well tonight it's homemade pork meatballs in a mushroom and tomato sauce with rice or pasta. Last night it was chinese chicken with spinach and tomatoes and sweet potato and new potato wedges baked in the oven.

Snacks or puds: Well, fruits obviously, but there's some great (and very easy) recipes for things like blueberry muffins, or apple and apricot muffins, breakfast bars. Even chocolate is allowed in small amounts while you're in the loosing weight stage. Best pud is the buttermilk pancakes with blueberry sauce - mmmmmmmmm

For me it's easy as I really enjoy cooking - but it's certainly not a diet for those who like ready meals etc. You end up using loads of fresh ingredients and also some more unusual ones - Pearly Barley, Bulghar Wheat, Buckwheat flour, buttermilk etc.

What it's really cone for me is to focus me into the foods I really should be eating - avoid as much ready made (diet or otherwise) food as possible as it tends to have all sorts of nasties hidden in it - that sort of thing.

I used to compete in Triathlons so I know all about watching my diet - but when you have to give up a lot of sport (injury) you tend to gain weight - so I'd been looking for a 'diet' that wasn't a 'diet' but was actually just a clear and easy to follow healthy eating plan. No one will ever convince me that Atkins is a healthy long term diet/ eating plan - your body needs all the food groups, but in the right combinations and balances.

Phew - that was a bit of a waffle (mmmmmm - waffles....) Hope that helped to answer your questions!
Old 11 February 2005, 06:35 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a 'good' diet actually Beth.

Stef's a lucky chappy, getting a wonderful wifey who cooks for him!

Think I'll have to put Rosie to work in the kitchen lol.
Old 11 February 2005, 06:38 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiPie

Eat ealthy and get more exercise........ fancy diets ... pah
couldn't agree more !! right off for ten pints
Old 11 February 2005, 07:33 PM
Manda_po
BANNED

Originally Posted by SiPie
Apparently it is now about Camilla and Charles.
Old 11 February 2005, 10:24 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Drunken Bungle *****
Have been following this since last July and have lost 10 lbs. Only 1lb more to go to target! Slow and steady, never going up at any point - but sometimes standing still for a while.

I love the food and find I'm hardly ever hungry or feeling deprived at all. Plus the docs seem to think it's a good idea.

Anyone else giving it a whirl? Seems to make a lot of nutritional sense.....

what resources did you use?

if its a book which one?

i went to smiths the other day and theres too many to view,
i'm having trouble with my last 16 pounds
Old 12 February 2005, 12:12 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

I've been doing it. The main idea to take away is that simple sugars and carbohydrates digest too quick, giving a massive spike of sugar in the blood. The body is designed to keep the blood sugar steady. When it registers a spike it floods the bloodstream with insulin, which causes the excess sugar to get stored as fat. Then you get a sugar slump, which makes you feel depressed and hungry.

You cut out alcohol (or cut it down substantially ); switch from white bread to wholemeal; have breakfast that consists of complex carbs like porridge; and don't eat sugary things.

Fatty foods are low-GI.. -high energy, but slow to digest. They can be good, in strict moderation.

Protein, á la the Atkins diet is low GI, but bad for your liver in excess.

Few western people get too little protein in their diet, unless they are actively trying to build muscle.
Old 12 February 2005, 12:25 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Protein, á la the Atkins diet is low GI, but bad for your liver in excess.
please show us a proper medical study done that shows protein is any worse for your liver than obtaining the calories from any other means.
Old 12 February 2005, 12:40 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Milo, I wouldn't want to get into a poker-game of diet studies with yourself... You have gone into diet far more deeply than I would ever want to. I'm sure that deleterious effects from overeating that particular food-group have been documented, and I'm also sure that you would agree that for the greatest number of people a balanced diet is appropriate. You yourself have a different purpose for eating the way you do, and I understand that... It's your own choice.
Old 12 February 2005, 12:49 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

Milo, I wouldn't want to get into a poker-game of diet studies with yourself... You have gone into diet far more deeply than I would ever want to. I'm sure that deleterious effects from overeating that particular food-group have been documented, and I'm also sure that you would agree that for the greatest number of people a balanced diet is appropriate. You yourself have a different purpose for eating the way you do, and I understand that... It's your own choice.
yes, for EVERYONE a balanced diet coming completely from unprocessed foods (a mixture of protein, carbs and fats) is appropriate. this is essential.

the fact is tho that "excess" (even SEVERAL times the RDA) quantities of protein has been proven to be safe time and time again in studies on both "average joe's", and on athletes alike.
Old 12 February 2005, 12:59 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Milo, I'm perfectly happy, if you assert that it isn't detrimental, to allow that over-eating protein isn't dangerous. Most people don't *need* to over-eat protein. That really IS a fact. The Atkins diet is unrealistic and detrimental to people's long-term eating habits. The GI diet is the only "titled" diet that I have been moved to follow over recent years, because it makes good physiological sense, to me, as a scientist.
Old 12 February 2005, 01:00 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by milo
yes, for EVERYONE a balanced diet coming completely from unprocessed foods (a mixture of protein, carbs and fats) is appropriate. this is essential.
its not "appropriate" and "essential"

some people value other things ahead a diet void from processed food......if that effects their health so be it.

your point is clear but your passion can cause you to forget that not everyone has your goals.

T
Old 12 February 2005, 01:03 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

It is everyone's inalienable right to pursue unhappiness, Tiggs... now bugger off and let us have our discussion.
Old 12 February 2005, 01:05 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

The Atkins diet is unrealistic and detrimental to people's long-term eating habits.
well as much as im not a fan of the atkins diet, ketogenic diets have been around for a LONG time, and are actually beneficial to people's health in many respects. for one thing, studies done on people on ketogenic diets such as atkins have shown lower cholesterol levels than people on "safe"(?) diets.
Old 12 February 2005, 01:06 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

It is everyone's inalienable right to pursue unhappiness, Tiggs... now bugger off and let us have our discussion.
what he said! :

Quick Reply: Low GI Diet