Disability Allowance / Information

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2005, 10:09 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disability Allowance / Information

Hello

Can anyone give me some pointers as to who to speak to about disability allowances?

My wife unfortunately had a brain tumour, and hasn't really recovered from the (non-invasive) operation nearly two years ago.

Thank you for your help.

Steve.
Old 10 February 2005, 10:26 AM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

(Rachael, writing on Dave's name!)

I'm so sorry to hear about your wife and her on-going problems. I was diagnosed with cancer in 2002, and had lots of treatment etc. I am still recovering and tire very easily. However, I am well enough to work - which is great. I recieved DLA for 2 years - on the assistance of one of my regular nurses (who sat and filled the form in with me.) You may find that the DLA regulations will find plenty of reasons not to give the money... but it is certainly worth a go, and will make life easier (financially) if you do get it.

I can't find the number you need, but if you look in the phone directory, you should find phone numbers for the benefits agency in there (possibly somewhere near social services? I can't remember, but that's how I found it). Somewhere there will be number for Disability Living Allowance. I did actually get my form from the the Job Centre Plus when I was assessed for incapacity benefit. (working as a supply teacher doesn't automatically entitle you to sick pay!)

Be prepared to have to fill in a VERY long form with lots of repitition. You will need to have medical people who can vouch for your wife's condition, and the claim could take a while. (The form can get confusing, because you start to think it's only suitable for those who have had their legs amputated.. you'll understand as you read it!). When filling mine in, I had to write how my cancer was inoperable (which at the time it was), that treatment was leaving me weak and unable to do much at all, and that I was going to hospital at least once or twice every week. (which I did for nearly 2 years). Whatever you do, don't play your wife's illness and needs down.

I was very lucky. It is now 2 1/2 years later and I'm cancer-free. I no longer get my benefit. I do wish you the best of luck.

I found the benefits advice line is actually quite good. If you discuss your wive's condition with them, they may find alternative benefits if DLA is not appropriate.

Rachael
Old 10 February 2005, 11:24 AM
richieh
Scooby Regular

in a similar position to yourself-
wife had a brain haemorrhage followed by surgery 2 years ago this may
as far as i remember our doctor sorted out the forms etc
my wife still gets tired realy easily,cant walk far and has weakness on her left side
worst thing is the slightest change from any plans made and she goes nuts
good luck m8 should be okay if she suffers from anything like the above
richie
Old 10 February 2005, 12:14 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I am sorry to hear about your wife's illness and hope she recovers fully eventually.

There are places established to help you to fill those forms in. These people know the score and can help you to put down the right answers with respect to your problems. There are a lot of significant things which the lay person does not know about.

You will need to try to find one near you-maybe the Citizens Advice Bureau can help.

Les
Old 10 February 2005, 12:20 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Again sorry to hear about your wife.

Having gone through the rigmarole of applying, re applying and re applying for DBLA I know how stressfull it can be.
The information above looks sound, my advice would be:
>Dont fill the forms in yourself, get a sypathetic Doctor / Careworker / Nurse who has experience on "what" to say in the forms
>If you do get refused DONT GIVE UP, I have read on numerous websites that a big percentage of claims get refused first time instantly. (dont know how true this is but was true in our case)

The money isnt great but it can make a little difference at a difficult time.
I believe your wife could be eligible for Incapacity Benefit (£90 / week), Disibility Living Allowence (£30 - £50 / week)
If you want to ask me anything in confidence please feel free to PM.

Last edited by +Doc+; 10 February 2005 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10 February 2005, 12:30 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

As above, had a girlfriend who got DLA (probably for going out with me) but the best route seems to be to get a social worker or similar to do the paperwork for you as they know what you say. Also fill out the form for her worst possible day rather then for her best day, it's the bad days you need the support for after all.

I also believe that it is best to send a doctors letter along with the forms as this is required but if you send the form without it they then put it on a special shelf for 6 months before asking for the letter.

All second hand information but hopefully it helps, the hospital or even your GP may be able to point you at someone who can fill out the form or your GP might actually do it for you if they are the helpful type.

As I understand it anything you get, once it is decided, can be backdated to the time you submitted the form so the sooner the better.
Old 10 February 2005, 02:46 PM
kend
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgehog
I also believe that it is best to send a doctors letter along with the forms as this is required but if you send the form without it they then put it on a special shelf for 6 months before asking for the letter.
You don't need a doctor's letter for a DLA application. The benefits agency will write to your doc to confirm that the level of disability you have stated is correct. They will still do this, even if your doc has already provided a letter to send with the application. There is a section on the form for 'somebody who knows you well' to detail how the applicant is affected by their disabilities. This should be completed by the person who knows them best, and sees what they can and can't do on a regular basis; most doctors will fill this bit of the form in, but are likely to just list diagnoses, rather than how these diagnoses affect someone
Old 14 February 2005, 11:53 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Thank you all for the information and help. I have contacted the benefits agency and downloaded a claim form. (Rachael: I can see what you mean about the amputations!).

For completeness, further information can be found here: http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/discare/

Steve.