Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Solicitors: the REAL menace to society?

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2005, 12:55 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question Solicitors: the REAL menace to society?

Taken from the Scun thorpe Evening Telegraph, Friday, 4th Feb, 2005:

"A teenage tearaway, described by a Crown Prosecutor as 'a persistent offender', yesterday became the 17th North Lincolnshire resident to be made the subject of an Anti-Social Behaviour Order (ASBO).

Fourteen-year-old ****** ****** was given the stringent order by Youth Court magistrates after he admitted being carried in a taken vehicle, which was driven dangerously and crashed. For this offence, ******, of Mary Street, Scun thorpe, was sentenced to a two-year supervision order and given a three-month curfew, which prohibits him from leaving his home address between the hours of 8pm and 7am. These orders were made in addition to the ASBO.

Telling magistrates ****** was 'a persistent young offender', prosecutor Charles Appleby also asked them to give him an ASBO.

******, he said, had been involved in 'a catalogue of incidents', many of which had not resulted in a prosecution.

OK so far? Read on

"Simon Davies, defending, said he was not going to argue against the imposition of an ASBO.

He, however, suggested a clause forbidding his client from committing any criminal offences was too wide.
"There are many criminal offences which are not anti-social.

"There are many offences which are, in fact, victimless," he asserted.

Utter lunacy! where DO these solicitors get off, spouting crap like that?

At least the magistrate saw through it:

The bench, however, retained the clause and further agreed to an application from Mr Appleby reporting restrictions be lifted in the case.

He told them it was in the public interest for ******' details to be published. "They would be better informed if they read in the local papers the incidents for which this young man has been made subject to an ASBO," he said.

He added the interests of the public would be 'well served' if the automatic restrictions were lifted, which normally prohibit the identification of any offender under the age of 18.

Magistrate Peter Ashton told ****** he and his colleagues were giving him a two-year ASBO.

"We would like to achieve zero tolerance in your case and we will allow all the conditions specified in the order," he said.

Alcazar
Old 06 February 2005, 01:17 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar

"Simon Davies, defending, said he was not going to argue against the imposition of an ASBO.

He, however, suggested a clause forbidding his client from committing any criminal offences was too wide.

offender under the age of 18.

Alcazar
Perhaps he did Sociology A Level? Becker's labelling theory.....

Its a solicitors job to provide the best possible defence for his client isnt it; even where he disagrees?

Simon
Old 06 February 2005, 01:18 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by alcazar

There are some ******* tossers around Would have been funny if the little tw@t had gone straight out & nicked his brief's motor though, after all it is insured
Old 06 February 2005, 01:22 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

I'm sure many on here would agree that certain "criminal" offences are not anti-social and are "victimless" - speeding for example - though obviously in some circumstances it can be anti-social and at other times there may be a "victim".

Ths solicitoir was just doing his job, just as I'm sure any of us would want him to do if it were us up in court facing severe punishment for some "crime" that we felt had not actually harmed anyone.
Old 06 February 2005, 02:48 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can only recommend that you watch "Outlaws" for an idea of the life of a defence solicitor. I'm in a different part of the CJ system myself, but everything I've heard suggests that program is very accurate. And it's bl**dy funny as well.

M
Old 07 February 2005, 08:40 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

OK, I hear what you are all saying (all 3 of you ), but I reckon the REAL danger here is that other little ******* latch on to this sort of crap about crimes that aren't anti-social, and victimless crimes, and they believe it and go out and justify their criminal ways with it.

Alcazar