Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

ADHD

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2005, 09:39 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ADHD

For those not watching The Da Vinci Code, are you watching the thing on ADHD ?
The wife is a teacher so I am having to watch this
Now I wont go in to what I think of the whole ADHA thing but this next one is a cracker !!

"Opposition defiance disorder"

Or Not doing what they are ******* well told !!!

There are teams set up to tell the parents that there kids dont do what they are told
Old 03 February 2005, 10:09 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Strangly, my kids suffer from "MDIAFNAHWBTSOOMIIGIT"

I had the same syndrom as a kid

My dad is a fekin nutter and he will beat the **** out of me if I get in trouble
Old 04 February 2005, 09:28 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

Now I wont go in to what I think of the whole ADHA thing..........
Please do: it'll make interesting reading for those of us who've struggled to bring up a kid who has it
I'm sure we'll be enlightened by your opinions...............NOT

Alcazar
Old 04 February 2005, 09:48 AM
De Warrenne
Scooby Regular

Yeah, don't beleive in it, just loud boisterous (bored???) kids.

Usually they're the bright ones, that are bored ****less 'cos teacher is spending all his (her) time helping the dull masses learn how to use a pair of scissors.
Old 04 February 2005, 09:55 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hope you never have to try and deal with one who has it then!

Alcazar
Old 04 February 2005, 10:00 AM
De Warrenne
Scooby Regular

Apologies Alcazar, I know its hard, because I'm sure that if I were born today I would have been diagnosed as ADHD and then drugged. I was a little **** as a kid, literally running up the walls. I am 99% certain that ADHD would have been diagnosed, rather than being told to stay off the tartrazine, and being 'encouraged' to take every opportunity out there to knacker myself out.

Obviously this was during the time when it was safe for kids to play outside, go on long bike rides, and other Enid Blyton-esque activities.

It genuinely scares me to think how I would have turned out had medicine been used to control my behaviour.

Originally Posted by alcazar

Hope you never have to try and deal with one who has it then!

Alcazar

Last edited by De Warrenne; 04 February 2005 at 10:02 AM. Reason: forgetfullness, spelling, spelling x 2
Old 04 February 2005, 10:16 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

I thought the programme was a bit lacking in useful stuff ..... there's been a lot of stuff in the press recently about how certain diet supplements like fish oils and special sugars (available in Holland & Barrett etc) can make a BIG difference to kids with ADHD.

I was surprised the parents didn't seem aware of this ....

It seemed that the only alternatives on offer were going nuclear with the Ritalin
Old 04 February 2005, 10:24 AM
PMJ
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by brickboy
I thought the programme was a bit lacking in useful stuff ..... there's been a lot of stuff in the press recently about how certain diet supplements like fish oils and special sugars (available in Holland & Barrett etc) can make a BIG difference to kids with ADHD.

I was surprised the parents didn't seem aware of this ....

It seemed that the only alternatives on offer were going nuclear with the Ritalin
Very true, and Ritalin can have some dire side effects.... Fish oils are all hype and dont work with kids with severe ADHD, My son has been diagnosed with ADHD and it is a very hard thing to get to grips with.. it affects the rest of the family and the social interaction of the child.... before people go off into one about how its not really a disorder and its a new age problem, just get all the facts right, go on the net and read all about it , the programe last night only show some of the symptoms , it sisn't show how it affects the child or how difficult it is for sibblings to get along with an ADHD afflicted child..Also when I was a child the buzz word for behavour like ADHD was delinquent...
Old 04 February 2005, 10:25 AM
Bottomfeeder
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by De Warrenne

Usually they're the bright ones, that are bored ****less 'cos teacher is spending all his (her) time helping the dull masses learn how to use a pair of scissors.

Whilst I agree that there are some childeren in classes today who are 'above average' and The dull masses you refer too are a mystery to me.

In X's class there are 18 children (5-6yr olds) a majority of which are 'above standard' however X cannot use scissors, she has a mild form of CP (not her fault) and possibly slight learning difficulties because of it, does that make X a member of the dull masses if so.............what's you suggestion?

I'm dyslexic btw, when I was diagnosed back in early 70's it had never been heard of my parents were told I was stupid. ADHD - "oh he's/she's just unruly/disruptive ....... FFS
I can guarantee (sp?) if you had a child in a class who was 'dull' you would want the teacher spending their time with it rather than the bright ones.

Last edited by Bottomfeeder; 04 February 2005 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04 February 2005, 11:39 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

PMJ: I agree wholeheartedly. Take heart, they DO improve with age as they learning coping strategies, but your son will probably need your support and care fro MUCH longer than a kid without.

If I've dug mine out of ONE hole, I've dug him out of hundreds And his schooling was a nightmare, as the other kids didn't understand him or know how to cope with him either, so he was an isolate and VERY VERY miserable as he himself didn't understand WHY they all hated him

I've seen him come home so unhappy, I could have wept! You just have to be strong for him.

Alcazar
Old 04 February 2005, 05:18 PM
PMJ
Scooby Newbie

PMJ: I agree wholeheartedly. Take heart, they DO improve with age as they learning coping strategies, but your son will probably need your support and care fro MUCH longer than a kid without.

If I've dug mine out of ONE hole, I've dug him out of hundreds And his schooling was a nightmare, as the other kids didn't understand him or know how to cope with him either, so he was an isolate and VERY VERY miserable as he himself didn't understand WHY they all hated him

I've seen him come home so unhappy, I could have wept! You just have to be strong for him.

Alcazar
Thanks, encouraging words.... I know how you feel.... He has twin sisters that dont understand him either, makes for interesting home life too... but there you go... must must live with it and try our hardest...
Old 04 February 2005, 05:34 PM
Bottomfeeder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PMJ
Thanks, encouraging words.... I know how you feel.... He has twin sisters that dont understand him either, makes for interesting home life too... but there you go... must must live with it and try our hardest...

And you do an outstanding job dude..........not just saying that, your kiddies are tops all of em.

It's G I feel sorry for havin to put up with you
Old 04 February 2005, 07:19 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

PMJ

Alcazar
I sympathise with you Alcazar.
I have a friend in the same situation and i know how hard for her to cope.