Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

This Stupid Country!

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2005, 12:15 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This Stupid Country!

Would someone who is very rich please take the government to the european court of human rights.

If I want to drive at 150mph in a capible car on a straight, empty motorway at 5am in the summer... in broad daylight, why not?

It's not dangerous so imposing arbitery speed limits must be in contravention to my basic human rights.

Any freedom fighters looking to recruit? I've had enough, it's time to blow up the countries speed cameras, and these f****** anti speed Idiots.

:Rant Over:

Dave
Old 03 February 2005, 12:58 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Vive le Revolution. RB5 245 for PM
Old 03 February 2005, 01:07 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

RB5 245 - The New Statesmen
Old 03 February 2005, 01:11 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Screamin lord Rb5, vote for me and the monster raving scooby party!

Dave
Old 03 February 2005, 01:23 PM
Vonzack
Scooby Regular

Cool

What about the rights of those drivers who sit in the middle and outside lanes of the motorway passing nothing at 70 Mph

I've just won the lottery and would like to fund your revolution, what would you like me to do with the £10?
Old 03 February 2005, 01:31 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

You muppet
Old 03 February 2005, 01:33 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

ahhhh, a lottery winner is exactly what the cause needs! That should pay for at least 30 seconds of a lawyers time. Hopefully that'll do it
Old 03 February 2005, 01:37 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

A case to the ECHR is already in hand but in view of the speed these things move at we are not likely to have a definitive judgement for another year or so.

You could take a step towards fighting back by joining up to an organisation such as the Association of British Drivers and Safe Speed. These organisations assist and help fund a range of test cases to determine and reinstate the rights of motorists.

Well worth considering joining up with like minded motorists. I think it unlikely that you will ever be allowed do drive at 150mph but those of us fighting the persecution of motorists are certainly getting close to eliminating the threat from GATSOs and the like.

The big concern now is the remote control of your car through a system called Intelligent Speed Adaptation and the government are due to finish mapping the country for this system in September. This will control the speed of your car and log your movements. If the green nuts get their way it will probably also log the number of times you fart and charge you for it.
Old 03 February 2005, 01:46 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgehog
A case to the ECHR is already in hand but in view of the speed these things move at we are not likely to have a definitive judgement for another year or so.

You could take a step towards fighting back by joining up to an organisation such as the Association of British Drivers and Safe Speed. These organisations assist and help fund a range of test cases to determine and reinstate the rights of motorists.

Well worth considering joining up with like minded motorists. I think it unlikely that you will ever be allowed do drive at 150mph but those of us fighting the persecution of motorists are certainly getting close to eliminating the threat from GATSOs and the like.

The big concern now is the remote control of your car through a system called Intelligent Speed Adaptation and the government are due to finish mapping the country for this system in September. This will control the speed of your car and log your movements. If the green nuts get their way it will probably also log the number of times you fart and charge you for it.

I expect it will be about a year to 18 months before these devices are introduced (assuming new labour retain power). No doubt it will be introduced as a voluntary scheme........

.....at first.
Old 03 February 2005, 02:05 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

To be honest I don't see how this system can be implemented. There will be no point at all in having a choice of car, and we may all as well drive a Toyota Prius. Therefore car manufacturers will find their markets severly limited as the performance car niche (or any car that can do in excess of 70mph) will be effectively killed except for those that can afford to buy a track car. Car companies will then withdraw funding for manufacturing in this country causing unemployment on an unprecedented scale.
And I'm sure the privacy issue raised by having your movements monitored 24/7 will cause similar uproar...
Old 03 February 2005, 02:21 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Many people are already happy to have GPS systems in their cars and the new ban on laser and radar detectors is aimed at increasing the number who willingly have GPS systems in their cars. At the start this system is manual, i.e. it beeps and tells you that you are driving too fast for the speed limit. Soon, however, it will be automatic. The government have said this, they have 20 pilot cars on the road testing it and the mapping of the country for this scheme finishes in September. This is work in progress that is nearly complete and links to various government sources of information on how it is progressing can be seen in other posts I have made.

The monitoring of your location looked like it might be more tricky, as you say, however the company who runs the M6 toll motorway has just bought all the old IBA (i.e. ITV) transmitter sites. These masts look down on 93% of the UK. So, an infrastructure will not need to be built, your movements will be tracked from these transmitter sites, remember masts can receive as easily as they can transmit.

The government has already been in contact with carm manufacturers for some years concerning this development and I believe that many more modern vehicles already have the wiring loom so that an ISA system can just plug in. Cars also have a CAN network and so it should be a trivial matter to interface with this.

Clearly I can't speak for the car makers but I suspect that their marketing focus will move from "performance" to areas such as comfort, equipment etc. and we have already seen some of this with MPV type vehicles for example selling so well.

As UB says if you drive a "performance" Subaru you are probably less than 2 insurance renewals away from having to have one of these GPS ISA devices fitted in order to get insurance. That will be your choice, of course, to start with but a short time later no car driver will have any choice.

This is not a fairy story, you can go to Leeds University, for example, and read about the progress of their development of the system and the DfT site contains information on the work in progress to map the country so they can monitor, control and charge for your movements.
Old 03 February 2005, 02:30 PM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

Cos if you DO crash you cause a lot of damage to other things. Emergency services have a bigger task to clean up your slop of a carcass too.

Wanna drive fast??? Go to the Nordschleife.
Old 03 February 2005, 04:35 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TheBigMan
Cos if you DO crash you cause a lot of damage to other things. Emergency services have a bigger task to clean up your slop of a carcass too.

Wanna drive fast??? Go to the Nordschleife.

Why not a blanket 10mph speed limit over the whole country. then there'll be no bother at all.

I have to say I completely ignore current speed limits as they're wrong. I drive at whatever I consider an appropriate speed. on a single track road i go round blind bends at about 10mph, much slower than anyone else i know. On a nice straight section of open motorway I have no problem with taking the car off the clock should i feel the urge. I have never had an accident.

I also point blank refuse to live in a big brother society. If I have to get a gps tracker to insure my car. Simple, no insurance. Commrade Blair can go **** himself.

I don't think it's irresponsible, people can't take this sort of thing lying down.

Dave
Old 03 February 2005, 04:50 PM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5_245

Why not a blanket 10mph speed limit over the whole country. then there'll be no bother at all.

I have to say I completely ignore current speed limits as they're wrong. I drive at whatever I consider an appropriate speed. on a single track road i go round blind bends at about 10mph, much slower than anyone else i know. On a nice straight section of open motorway I have no problem with taking the car off the clock should i feel the urge. I have never had an accident.

I also point blank refuse to live in a big brother society. If I have to get a gps tracker to insure my car. Simple, no insurance. Commrade Blair can go **** himself.

I don't think it's irresponsible, people can't take this sort of thing lying down.

Dave
Don't get me wrong - I too believe *some* speed limits are flawed. However, they are in place so you cannot complain if you get caught.

150mph though - it is VERY quick. Too fast for any UK road imho - though I ....know a guy.... that did 155 in a shiny BMW.
Old 03 February 2005, 04:56 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

150mph is too fast....good news is you will get caught and banned
Old 03 February 2005, 05:04 PM
King RA
BANNED

Originally Posted by Tiggs
Not right now he won't.....just be carefull. I am
Old 03 February 2005, 05:44 PM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
If you try reading the post properly, you will see he does not say that he goes out and does this, just questioning why the rules are there. Do you think he will get banned for voicing an opinion? Actually, knowing New Labour, that probably isn't so far fetched...

Edited to add: oops, didn't read post #13, so he did say he goes and does it... oh well, the argument sounded good originally

Last edited by Sprint Chief; 03 February 2005 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03 February 2005, 06:03 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

RB5 245,

You really do have an attitude problem. Your admitted behaviour just does not fit in with a non anarchistic civilised society.

I expect you will just carry on as you say until you get caught or you have a serious accident. Trouble is, you may hurt or kill some innocent driver.

Who the hell are you to put yourself above the law in such a manner? And do you think yourself to be so much better than anyone else so that you should be permitted to behave like that?

Over inflated ego's are very dangerous when combined with fast machinery, however good you think you are!

Les
Old 03 February 2005, 06:24 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sprint Chief
If you try reading the post properly, you will see he does not say that he goes out and does this, just questioning why the rules are there. Do you think he will get banned for voicing an opinion? Actually, knowing New Labour, that probably isn't so far fetched...

Edited to add: oops, didn't read post #13, so he did say he goes and does it... oh well, the argument sounded good originally

"If you try reading the post properly"

hello pot...you're looking black today!
Old 03 February 2005, 06:27 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

RB5 245, Your my second favourite hero. After Pete of course
Old 03 February 2005, 07:27 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

If you travel at 150 mph you will kill a town full of people.
We all know speed kills, if 31 mph kills what will 150 do, oh dread, I feel ill, I must be approaching 30 ...............
Old 03 February 2005, 07:38 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TheBigMan
150mph though - it is VERY quick. Too fast for any UK road imho - though I ....know a guy.... that did 155 in a shiny BMW.
Can you define what criteria should be placed on a bit of tarmac before you would declare it safe to travel along at 150mph?

In a car which takes 18 seconds to get from 70 to 150 you don't need a huge stretch of tarmac to safely get to this speed, and from memory 100 yards is enough to haul a suitable car back down to 70 again. Given this information, would you not agree that a one mile stretch of clear, well surfaced road with perfect visability is sufficient? Can think of a few of these in the UK. Does the same criteria apply to a car that can do 70-150 in 10 seconds, or something like a scoob taking 40 seconds?
Old 03 February 2005, 07:44 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Imho. This country now is legislated for on the "lowest common denominator" principle.
If idiots can't do it stop everybody doing it.
Utter pants.
Old 03 February 2005, 07:49 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Who the hell are you to put yourself above the law in such a manner? And do you think yourself to be so much better than anyone else so that you should be permitted to behave like that?
Someone who's had enough. Not just speed limits but that one really gets up my back. What about the people in the middle east who like a beer despite the fact that it's illegal, what about the people who live in communist countries?

if there was a law banning you calling your wife by her first name you would ignore it, because it's stupid. Same applies.

you say i'm heading for an accident. I don't tailgate, I don't suffer from road rage, i don't overtake unless there is ample room. I practically stop round blind bends and hump back bridges, you'll hardly ever see me get up to 30mph in the town. My car is always in perfect mechanical condition, or it's off the road.

I do however sit at 90 on motorway. So I'm a criminal with an attitude problem

last time I did any real speed was around july last year. Just north of carlisle there's a huge straight, it was empty. I picked the middle lane and safely took the car 'off the clock'

does that make me a lunatic and a criminal?

Dave
Old 03 February 2005, 08:14 PM
King RA
BANNED

Originally Posted by RB5_245
does that make me a lunatic and a criminal?
Obviously does gauging the reactions of the scoobynet angels
Old 03 February 2005, 08:55 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Taking a Scooby off the clock is reckless under ANY circumstances!!!!!

You're likely to end up with a piston in your lap
Old 03 February 2005, 09:22 PM
scoobchrissy
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Leslie
RB5 245,

Who the hell are you to put yourself above the law in such a manner? And do you think yourself to be so much better than anyone else so that you should be permitted to behave like that
He did'nt say he was better than anyone else Get a life
Old 03 February 2005, 09:32 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

If I want to drive at 150mph in a capible car on a straight, empty motorway at 5am in the summer... in broad daylight, why not?

would you seriousley like to see a law be passed that allowed that to happen?

this thread is either a p1ss take or you are a complete spanner.
Old 03 February 2005, 09:35 PM
King RA
BANNED

Originally Posted by mj

would you seriousley like to see a law be passed that allowed that to happen?

this thread is either a p1ss take or you are a complete spanner.
It's allowed in parts of Germany....so it can't be THAT insane.
Old 03 February 2005, 10:02 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

true, which section of Britains already overcrowded motorway system do you suggest?

anyway, to the orignal poster - pay your £4 on the M6 toll track, you tight git faster than most, but not 150 mph fast - anyone noted that bump just before the services southbound? at 90 it unsettles the van seriousley ( ok its a van ), at 150 it would catch a few unawares, whatever they were driving IMO.

Quick Reply: This Stupid Country!