Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Got a safeway card ? Be careful what you buy

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2005, 07:45 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a safeway card ? Be careful what you buy

This is a scary story. Bloke bought firelighters and got done for murder 1 when he was alledged to have started the arson fire on his own house. What was used to incrimate him ? His safeway saver card.

He was found not guilty in the end but scary none the less

Read it here
Old 02 February 2005, 07:52 PM
Chris5-0
Scooby Regular

America baby, yeah!!

Mate, how do you think you get offers which seem to relate to what you buy? Every time you buy anything it goes onto a nice big database with your details on it. Under freedom of information give them a ring and ask for a copy, its like tumbleweed at the other end of the phone, you can hear chins drop!!!!

Anyone seen minority report? Not that far off when it comes to shopping I think!
Old 02 February 2005, 08:12 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

LOL and people worry about the privacy on Gmail when they happily give away huge amounts of personal data when they use things such as loyalty cards (loyalty cards are the tip of a very big iceberg)
Old 02 February 2005, 08:20 PM
Chris5-0
Scooby Regular

Smile

Big Brother my friend is definitely watching us all!!!

Imagine what is there about you individually, what you eat, drink, read, watch, drive, play! And not just scant details, EVERYTHING!!!!!

It's too much, going to lie down!

Seriously though, not a major problem at this time as i see it but could easily get out of hand very quickly, what next a letter dropping through your door saying, 'WE NOTICE YOU ARE OUT OF HAEMORROID CREAM (spelling!?!), CAN WE INTEREST YOU IN BRAND X??'
Old 02 February 2005, 08:49 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Don't get me started on the collection of personal data, identity cards etc etc. As I've got older, I've grown evermore cynical about such things. If the government says it's a good thing, I get suspicious
I think it comes from working in IT security - when you are aware of exactly what is possible, it is very scary.
Old 02 February 2005, 08:54 PM
Chris5-0
Scooby Regular

Wink

Certainly is Chris! By the way, you're down to your last 2 pairs of thongs, want me to send some more along to you? And your telly needs dusting!!!!!
Old 02 February 2005, 10:27 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Dusting ? Disgusting more like. And he really should pick up that discarded chesse sandwich from behind the sofa before rats move in.

I'm not going to even talk about the state of his bathroom *shudder*

Old 02 February 2005, 10:29 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

cash is the way forward
Old 02 February 2005, 10:48 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Yup Tescos Club Card = Mug Card, Nectar =sucka!

Every time I get asked for a loyalty card when buying stuff I always so "Nope - I'm not that desperate" and look at the people in the queue behind who have all their cards ready LOL
Old 03 February 2005, 01:59 AM
BexTait
Scooby Regular

Location: Drink, drink, wherever you may be, we are the drunk and disorderly (owner of 5 fairy tokens)

All store cards log what you buy so that they can send you targeted offers, hnce the reason one of my old teachers (single, male) went nd bought ights and panty liners to throw them
Old 03 February 2005, 02:26 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Why do you have such a problem with that kind of personal data? It's not that different to actually using your credit card to pay for the items. "They" know you have spent £x in Sainsbury's. And actually you should be a little more scared of the mobile phone that can position you to within 5 meters probably 24 hours a day.

As for mining the data, some do and some don't. And they do not take advantage of the data they have. I used to try and persuade the companies to mine the data more efficiently to be able to upsell and target ad's (on the internet) properly.

Steve.
Old 03 February 2005, 04:24 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Data mining and profiling are used by political parties now. They already target different areas and different socio-ecomomic groups with different messages, but the possibility exists in the future for them to specifically target messages at individuals based on what the data tells them you are interested in.

If you buy lots of "green" products, organic vegetable, bio-degradeable detergent etc then they would write to you and tell you all the wonderful plans they have for protecting the environment.

If you buy nappies then you would tell you about their pre-school policies and child care provisions.

If you buy certain newspapers then they would change the message based on their perception of which political party you support.

In other words they would tell you what you want to hear and would steer away from anything that might turn you away from that party. It sounds insidious to me. I've never had a loyalty card for that reason.
Old 03 February 2005, 08:45 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

"Why do you have such a problem with that kind of personal data" - because it is about conditioning. You see it all over the place. People are willing to give up far too much information without questioning it. Loyalty cards are quite a minor example. Have a read of Bruce Schneier's excellent website.
Old 03 February 2005, 09:33 AM
De Warrenne
Scooby Regular

Dunno about you guys, but Sansbury's don't have my address.

So, they know a Mr. De Warrenne buys far more booze and **** than he should, but they havn't a clem where to post the vouchers for alca seltzer and nicorette patches. and I still get a whopping £2.50 off my shopping for every £250 I spend there.