And most of their parents read the Sun too

Probably the first truth they've printed this year though
Old 27 January 2005, 01:37 AM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
And the Sun's the bible - innit
He is being quoted. Irrelevent what publication it is from.
Old 27 January 2005, 01:39 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TheBigMan
He is being quoted. Irrelevent what publication it is from.
Really? And the Sun is known for its accuracy and relevance of comment, isn't it.

His first line of "It's an appaling statistic" is probably the only part of the comment that's in context.

I have a colleague who used to work for the Star who taught me a few tricks of his old trade.

Last edited by fatherpierre; 27 January 2005 at 01:43 AM.
Old 27 January 2005, 07:28 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of points about that survey:

1) How many teenagers will tell the truth, the whoile truth, and nothing but the truth, in an anonymous survey. I suspect rather a lot of "inflating" went on.

2) More importantly, the definition of "crime" was very broad - I can't remember the details, but everything from littering and making too much noise downwards was defined as "crime".

M
Old 27 January 2005, 08:08 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by _Meridian_
A couple of points about that survey:

1) How many teenagers will tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, in an anonymous survey. I suspect rather a lot of "inflating" went on.

2) More importantly, the definition of "crime" was very broad - I can't remember the details, but everything from littering and making too much noise downwards was defined as "crime".

M
Have to agree with Meridian: you can get whatever results you want from a survey by slanting questions, or even asking the "right" question.

As for the Sun...........toilet paper! And it's not even good for that!

Alcazar

Trending Topics

Old 27 January 2005, 08:08 AM
popeye
Scooby Regular

Look-a-like.

I think we should be told etc...
Old 27 January 2005, 08:43 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Bye, then.

Old 27 January 2005, 08:59 AM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

My girlfriend's lad is in court this morning for encouraging 2 other lads who were fighting. It's not his first run in with the law (petty stuff, no theft or anything, but it all adds up).

He's 14, white, currently excluded from school after gobbing off at a teacher and from the North. He fits the profile rather nicely.

He has issues and needs counselling, he even admits it himself. There are a lot of unresolved issues involving his alcoholic father. Get this though, between a 9 and 22 month wait to see a child counsellor. His mum is at her wits end with him. He didn't come home from monday to last night because they'd fought about his behaviour over the weekend. Personally I keep out of it. So far he's never listed me seeing his mum as one of his problems and I'd like to keep it that way but I see him wasting his opportunities and want to shake him by the ears and tell him to wake up. He's been lucky enough to be accepted as the only candidate from his year at school to be able to undertake an apprenticeship in the motor trade, starting after 1/2 term. I can't help think he's blown his chances with this latest (3rd of this school year) exclusion and being up before the court today. It's sad to say but sometimes I wish he'd go and live with his dad and give his mum a break.
Old 27 January 2005, 09:18 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
My girlfriend's lad is in court this morning for encouraging 2 other lads who were fighting. It's not his first run in with the law (petty stuff, no theft or anything, but it all adds up).

He's 14, white, currently excluded from school after gobbing off at a teacher and from the North. He fits the profile rather nicely.

He has issues and needs counselling, he even admits it himself. There are a lot of unresolved issues involving his alcoholic father. Get this though, between a 9 and 22 month wait to see a child counsellor. His mum is at her wits end with him. He didn't come home from monday to last night because they'd fought about his behaviour over the weekend. Personally I keep out of it. So far he's never listed me seeing his mum as one of his problems and I'd like to keep it that way but I see him wasting his opportunities and want to shake him by the ears and tell him to wake up. He's been lucky enough to be accepted as the only candidate from his year at school to be able to undertake an apprenticeship in the motor trade, starting after 1/2 term. I can't help think he's blown his chances with this latest (3rd of this school year) exclusion and being up before the court today. It's sad to say but sometimes I wish he'd go and live with his dad and give his mum a break.
Counselling my **** - he needs a right kicking and told to get a grip.

D
Old 27 January 2005, 09:50 AM
super_si
Scooby Regular

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...290940,00.html
Old 27 January 2005, 10:31 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diablo
Counselling my **** - he needs a right kicking and told to get a grip.

D
Here, here ! Ponsey liberal do-goody nannying wet nonces spouting about how we shouldn't smack kids. @rse When I did something wrong, I got a crack and learnt by it. If I did it again I got another, harder, not for doing it, but for being stupid enough to not learn. I am now a hard working tax paying valuable member of society. Has it done me any harm, NO ! Am I advocating child abuse, DON"T BE ******* STUPID ! Discipline and abuse are polaric opposites. Of course, the real problem is how easy we make it for workshy, lazy, irresponsible tw@ts to have too many kids, safe in the knowlege that all the stupid taxpayers will pay for their mistakes
Old 27 January 2005, 10:50 AM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Here, here ! Ponsey liberal do-goody nannying wet nonces spouting about how we shouldn't smack kids. @rse When I did something wrong, I got a crack and learnt by it. If I did it again I got another, harder, not for doing it, but for being stupid enough to not learn. I am now a hard working tax paying valuable member of society. Has it done me any harm, NO ! Am I advocating child abuse, DON"T BE ******* STUPID ! Discipline and abuse are polaric opposites. Of course, the real problem is how easy we make it for workshy, lazy, irresponsible tw@ts to have too many kids, safe in the knowlege that all the stupid taxpayers will pay for their mistakes
Hmmmm tough call because although I agree with you in priciple, and you Diablo this is slightly different. His dad lives less than a mile away yet he never sends gifts or cards on birthdays or christmas. He'll call the lad down to see him when he's pissed up and then verbally abuse him in front of his mates. He phones and asks to speak to him and I can hear him down the phone asking if the lad's got a girlfriend yet then on a negative response I've heard him actually saying, "What are you? You f*cking gay? I knew you were a f*cking **** bandit you little queer," in a nasty humiliating tone. In this instance it's the father who needs a right kicking. The lad is a good, well-mannered kid most of the time but every now and then he lashes out at an authority figure. Not surprising really is it.
Old 27 January 2005, 10:57 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
Hmmmm tough call because although I agree with you in priciple, and you Diablo this is slightly different. His dad lives less than a mile away yet he never sends gifts or cards on birthdays or christmas. He'll call the lad down to see him when he's pissed up and then verbally abuse him in front of his mates. He phones and asks to speak to him and I can hear him down the phone asking if the lad's got a girlfriend yet then on a negative response I've heard him actually saying, "What are you? You f*cking gay? I knew you were a f*cking **** bandit you little queer," in a nasty humiliating tone. In this instance it's the father who needs a right kicking. The lad is a good, well-mannered kid most of the time but every now and then he lashes out at an authority figure. Not surprising really is it.
Fair comment mate. The sooner they introduce a points and licence system for kid breeding the better.....
Old 27 January 2005, 11:21 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

interesting stuff jap - have you considered offering the kid some advice - like he doesnt have to take that kind of **** off his dad? Point out to him that hes got a great opportunity in the apprenticeship and what peoples reaction will be if he f***s it up? Ask him if he needs any help? I know its easy to turn a blind eye, and its also easy for me to meddle when I have no idea about the full situation, but if you want to be with the gf, she comes with other responsibilities by the sound of it. Not saying you TELL the kid what to do, but just offer some pointers and an open door.....

Of course you may just tell me Im full of crap and to mind my own business!

Last edited by warrenm2; 27 January 2005 at 11:42 AM. Reason: typo
Old 27 January 2005, 11:26 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Jap@Scrap - I was refering to the situation in general, apologies if it seemed aimed at your specific situation. There is a similar situation on the outer edge of my family so I do sympathise. and wholeheartedly agree that it is the father whom needs the kicking (my job in the past). It seems though that these days, to bear children doesn't mean that you become a parent. As I have stated many times on social discussion threads in the past, we need to find ways to make everyone responsible for their own actions, and stop bailing them out all the time. Until we do, the children will always be the victims.
Old 27 January 2005, 11:32 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I don't know why Charles Clarke is so 'appalled' after all he's a member of the government that has created the social conditions that allows this sort of behaviour to go unpunished.

Presumably now that he has realised, he will hang his head in shame and resign.

UB
Old 27 January 2005, 12:18 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

And pigs might fly!!

Les