Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dragons Den....

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2005, 04:41 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dragons Den....

No posts on here, must be some of ya who watch it, BBC2 8pm Tuesday, fantastic viewing IMHO a kind of pop idol for business people!

any comments or observations?

Gary
Old 26 January 2005, 04:47 PM
lawson101
Scooby Regular

Ive seen bits of it both last night and last week, looks like quite a good program, but some of the ideas and they way they are presented are poor to say the least.

The guy last night with the truffle plantation idea was good, but ffs the scottish dragon didnt even know what a truffle was!!!
Old 26 January 2005, 04:57 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

yep, been watching these, great program.

Scary how some people are so nieve with their preparation though, asking for £75K and dont know basics like projected net profit.

I thought the sushi guy would go for the truffles idea, if its works he will make a mint and have the right guy onboard to know how to market them.
Old 26 January 2005, 05:05 PM
hawkthescoobslayer
Scooby Regular

agreed the program is great

i'm glued to it every week trying to get that "bit of knowledge" or "insight" into the millionaires mind.

fanatstic idea and I can't want until they re visit the companies after a year.

I wonder if it was filmed a year ago and they have re visited them already??

Paul
Old 26 January 2005, 05:09 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

any comments or observations?

Yep - cheap TV humiliating people for entertainment.

It is indeed a pop idol for business people.
Old 26 January 2005, 05:11 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

deff. worth watching........ One does wonder how real it is .........i mean is their spoken word taken as legally binding........... Im a little confused about the truffle trees - 5/7 years is a long while to wait before a return , but hardly long enough for a tree to grow........
Old 26 January 2005, 05:29 PM
hawkthescoobslayer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
deff. worth watching........ One does wonder how real it is .........i mean is their spoken word taken as legally binding........... Im a little confused about the truffle trees - 5/7 years is a long while to wait before a return , but hardly long enough for a tree to grow........
5 to 7 years is the time taken to cultivate the truffle and the tree and 7 years can see certain trees a fair size

UNCLEBUCK you truly are the judge.......

judge mental

Trending Topics

Old 26 January 2005, 06:11 PM
Rumplestiltskin!
Scooby Regular

The lady who invented the board games (destination London etc) was on Richard & Judy or GMTV a couple of weeks ago. She had full backing & was selling the game.
So not sure when the program was filmed but it is a little out of date.

Great viewing though, but the dragons seem a little negative. Take the guy with the dog blanket, most of them didn't have a dog so really couldn't be an authority on the subject, but were quick to dismiss it as a non starter.
I wouldn't say my dog smells, but I would pay £20 for a blanket that reduced any doggy smells in my house to a minimum.
Old 26 January 2005, 06:32 PM
scoobydood
Scooby Regular

Agreed. I didn't see the problem with the dog mat. I think it is a fair idea and will succeed. perhaps not the mega-millions the dragons want from an investment but no need to try pound the poor guy into submission....

Regarding the board game - yes she was useless with the figures but that doesn't change the fact that the product is or isn't good!
Old 26 January 2005, 07:46 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Hi All, There's a new program in a similar vein coming out early this year called 'Make me a Million' my boss (Emma Harrison) is one of the 2 mentors in the program. Looks really good, plus I may be on TV cos they were filming her talking to me (Channel 4) Woohoo
Old 26 January 2005, 09:00 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Yes. love DD. But this is one program where I look forward to the updated repeats, i.e. they show you how the ones that did win get on and hopefully how some of the ones that didn't win got on as well.

I also have a perfect score so far of guessing which ones they would go for and the ones they didn't except for the one a few weeks ago, woman who makes one off clothes for business woman. Didn't see that one as workable but they gave her the cash.

Cheers

Ian
Old 27 January 2005, 09:07 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Ian,

Agreed that was totally unbelievable 'grails' it was called, £600 suits and they look liked something you would get in matalan! Surely a high flying career lady would buy branded high-fashion suits like karen millen or donna karan not grails! who the f**k are grails?

I dont think any of the deals are legally binding as the investors would certainly do more due dilligence and at least need to see some sales and cashflow forecasts.

As for the doggy mat, couldnt see the point myself and I dont see it selling in any volume at all, the ideas are wacky to the say the least, I mean 'le beanock' a grand for what is a quilted bean bag you hang from a ceiling but hey it got backing!

What most people do not consider is that if there is no competition it could be that there is no market for the product, its naive to think that no-one has never thought of a similar idea before and perhaps tried and failed.

Most em only want to give away a tiny amount of equity, never gonna happen, well certainly not in start-up phase anyway, still great viewing!

Gary