Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

need to find a local electrician who wants to take on an apprentice..

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2005, 02:42 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation need to find a local electrician who wants to take on an apprentice..

and its not for me

can you help?
Old 20 January 2005, 02:51 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gonna say, if you got a job there, we would be in the stoneages again as youd probabily have an accident at the substation or summit
Old 20 January 2005, 02:55 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

what are you trying to say

i know that the brown wire goes to the fuse in a plug
Old 20 January 2005, 03:10 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

where you based?, can't find upmybum on autoroute
Old 20 January 2005, 03:37 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

Last year a local youth here placed a LARGE ad in the local paper, looking for a plumber to take him on. Done two years, good results, good references from college. The ad ran in two local papers, 30 miles apart.

He didn't get taken on.

This is why we should NOT re-elect labour.

There are nowhere near sufficient tradespersons in the UK, and it's getting worse.............and they are p*ssing about trying to attract MORE kids to go to uni! WHY??????????????????????

Try the ad.............I suppose it depends on your area...............but don't hold your breath!

Alcazar
Old 20 January 2005, 03:49 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mj
where you based?, can't find upmybum on autoroute

am in the Harpenden St.Albans area. its for my son. he wants to to electrics or electrical engineering.

been on the net and everything. there are all these shows on tv telling you that apprenticeships are are the way to go, but i cant find anything

he is even considering a carpentry apprenticeship, but i think he will have the same probs

any suggestions and i would be very grateful
Old 20 January 2005, 03:53 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

how old is the boy?

You could try chelmsford college, they run a scheme where they teach people trades, not sure if this is just for the kids that normally drop out of school and if it can apply to kids who finish school normally etc.
Old 20 January 2005, 03:56 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Last year a local youth here placed a LARGE ad in the local paper, looking for a plumber to take him on. Done two years, good results, good references from college. The ad ran in two local papers, 30 miles apart.

He didn't get taken on.

This is why we should NOT re-elect labour.

There are nowhere near sufficient tradespersons in the UK, and it's getting worse.............and they are p*ssing about trying to attract MORE kids to go to uni! WHY??????????????????????

Try the ad.............I suppose it depends on your area...............but don't hold your breath!

Alcazar
The ONE good thing I've seen Labour bring in is the scheme my girlfriend's son has just signed up for. He's 14 and doesn't enjoy school one bit so he's on a 2 day a week apprenticeship at a local mechanics. He doesn't get paid but the hours are the same as school and he'll enjoy it! It also makes the three days a week at school more bearable as they're not consecutive and therefore he'll do better there in the core subjects.

We hope.

At least he has the opportunity.
Old 20 January 2005, 04:37 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

sara-

these people look after our apprentices, they will get him interviews for placements etc, and look after him while he is doing his training.

http://www.jtlimited.co.uk/mainPage.htm

HTH

ps , if I had my time again I would not want to be a sparky - bag o' **** IMHO, if he has some oil in his can ( academic ) and is interested in the electrical field he should look at instrumentation and control - try your local water authority - they are very big on this now as they have cut down on the workforce, alot of sites are un-manned and remote monitored. I'd work for the water board topmmorrow if I had the chance.
Old 20 January 2005, 04:55 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

It might be an idea to go for something else in the electrical sector. Hate to say it but everyone and his dog wants to be an electrician or a plumber these days, going into something not so popular will always guarantee work. He might want to think about going into something in generation or distribution (e.g. H.V cable jointer, electrical fitter or overhead linesman). Get him to apply to you local electricity company, think its EDF Energy in St Albans. He’ll get the best electrical training and will be better off when it comes to things like health and safety, sick pay, holiday, pension and generally will get treated better than working for a smaller company.

@ MJ: Don’t think I’d go back to be a sparky now, it’s a job I never really loved. But doing what I do now I can actually say I enjoy going to work (even if I do get rained on)
Old 20 January 2005, 05:22 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

will have a look at jt limited.
been getting stuck in a rut and going round in circles trying to find something he can do

thing is all the lads of his age go round with their hoods up and grunting instead of speaking, trying to be chavs, and employers take one look and say...
at least with a skill they have to judge him on his ability

......and he wants to buy a scoob when he gets a job

fitzscoob, we live in Herts so your suggestion is no good unless you want a lodger
Old 20 January 2005, 05:26 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares
fitzscoob, we live in Herts so your suggestion is no good unless you want a lodger

Lol I live in herts to, when I left school and started a modern apprenticeship, business work not a trade, my tutor was top good laugh and was good at kicking my *** to get me to do my work. She heads the scheme I was trying to explain about

See what your local colleges are up to, I am sure they still do the modern apprentice schemes, there must be something available.
Old 20 January 2005, 05:38 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

he was trying to avoid a modern apprentiship and having to go to college. i thought it would be easy to find a buisiness to take him on for a couple of days a week as a 'mate' and gain experience that way..............but noooooooooo
Old 20 January 2005, 05:40 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares
he was trying to avoid a modern apprentiship and having to go to college. i thought it would be easy to find a buisiness to take him on for a couple of days a week as a 'mate' and gain experience that way..............but noooooooooo

the modern apprenticeship wasnt bad at all, one day a week, and to be fair I had loads of fun at college (as long as there are some girlies in class for him)

The day at college was a welcome break
Old 20 January 2005, 06:29 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

My eldest has done two years this year, of a modern apprenticeship in welding and contructional engineering.

He was at college full-time in his first year, with college holidays spent working on the local steelworks.
This year he has changed, same course, but 4 days a week at work, wednesday at college. Different employer.

He didn't really enjoy the first year, too many idiots about to get involved with, and not much income.

He is enjoying his second year, more income, less idiots, working with grown men rather than lads at college, so less chance for stupidity and the resulting problems. He's grown up a lot this year, and now has a new (one year old) Ibiza 1.4, and money to spend.

Try your local technical college for advice. They will be geared up to tell you about next year's courses now, but DO BE CAREFUL: ask whether the course he's interested in requires him to be employed/sponsored after two years, to continue. Pick one with IMMEDIATE employment/sponsorship if you can. Also, try "Connexions", our local branch was VERY helpful.

Alcazar