Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anybody been to Croatia

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2005, 09:14 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Anybody been to Croatia

Whats it like and temps and any tips where to stay!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers
Colin
Old 18 January 2005, 09:48 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I hear Split is THE place to go at the moment. Perhaps it would be wise to choose somewhere else as no doubt it will be full of English chavs as it's the place to go.

I went to Dubrovnik when I was 16. It was nice. I actually don't know if that's in Croatia.

Also have been to Slovenia quite a few times in my teens. Great scenery, had a good nightlife where we went (Lake Bled), weather not too bad. Perhaps you could consider there too.

HTH
Old 19 January 2005, 08:55 AM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

I too have been to Dubrovnik, really nice scenery, very relaxed, nice beaches and the locals are very friendly.

Good value for money, i wouldn't hesitate in going again
Old 19 January 2005, 12:47 PM
TJG
Scooby Regular

I've been twice in two years now. In 2003, my girlfriend and I went on a sailing holiday in late August. That was really cool as the coastline is beautiful. In 2004, we drove down in my Impreza. We were there for about a month in June/July, staying at various campsites on the coast. It's a great country - we both really enjoyed it there. The people are very friendly and welcoming. The food (lots of fresh fish) is pretty good.

The weather is usually fantastic. In late June it was approaching 30, then through July it was really hot. It cools down a bit towards the end of August - most noticeable in the evenings. The locals reckon that September is one of the best times as there are not so many tourists (it can get very, very busy in the popular places), the temperature is good but not too hot, and the sea is still warm.

I was not sure what to expect with driving there, but it ended up being really straightforward. The main coastal road is ok, a bit rough in places, and also gets very close to the cliffs/sea but mostly good fun to drive. There is a new north/south motorway (toll) that is complete in sections. We saw a few police about (who are apparently reasonably open to bribes if you are caught speeding). No Optimax.

Dubrovnik was our favourite place. There's loads to see there (if you're into looking at old towns). Didn't go into Split, but drove right past it. It looks so different to the rest of Croatia (plenty of high-rise flats).

There are very few sandy beaches. Most are pebbles. Which is ok, but if you're really into lying out in the sun for days and days then you've got to be on some sort of bed.

We stayed for a few days near the Starigrad Paklenica national park. That was really good for walking (only up to about 700/800 metres, but quite steep), and had stunning views.

There are lots of hotels, particularly on the bigger islands. It's a big tourist destination for the French, Germans, Austrians, Hungarians, and Czechs.

In the north of the country, we found that most people's second language was German, but as we moved further south more and more people could speak English (especially the younger ones). Although it always helps if you can ask for a beer in the local language!
Old 19 January 2005, 12:53 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Been to Porec a couple of times but a while back.

Was 300 dinars / GBP and then went to 600 dinars / GBP the following year but stuff was dirt cheap (30p / pint etc). All seemed to be state / party controlled, e.g. all waiters had same uniform, stuff in supermarkets was cheap but not a lot of choice - you want jam - there's one type).

It was OK around the tourist areas and people knew enough English but inland / away it was blank stares if you asked anything or tried to converse. The waitress in our hotel could say the stuff on the menu but was clueless if you asked what was in it as she couldn't understand the Queen's English (even with shouting )

A couple of good hols but I guess things have become a bit more modern now...
Old 19 January 2005, 01:00 PM
TJG
Scooby Regular

On the subject of food and prices. We found that supermarkets were few and far between, but most villages had a "mini-market". You could get most stuff, but by no means the choice that you get in England. The mini-markets were not particularly cheap.

Eating out was cheap. For about 10 - 15 GBP between the two of us, we could get a couple of pizzas, a sald and a couple of drinks. Eating steaks, etc. was a bit more - but still much cheaper than in England. Beer was about 1 GBP for a half litre.
Old 19 January 2005, 01:34 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Went in the early 90s but they were shooting at us so didn't take much notice of the scenery but I hear it has changed quite a bit
Old 19 January 2005, 01:52 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Went to Dubrovnik on business for a couple of days a year ago. Very pretty, fascinating history (official town guide showed us round). Can't help other than saying don't expect too much from the shops in Zagreb airport.
Old 19 January 2005, 06:00 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Went in the early 90s but they were shooting at us so didn't take much notice of the scenery but I hear it has changed quite a bit
.....same here! '93 winter and summer '96
Old 19 January 2005, 07:40 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

I've not been inland but have sailed the coastline extensively and can only say, the scenery is stunning. I'd recommend some island hopping to places such as Hvar which judging by the amount of ferries we were dodging, is well serviced and easy to get from island to island.

No-one shot at us but we did get stuck right in the middle of a breezy Force 7 which wasn't forecasted, complete with thunder and lightning so I guess the country likes to surprise visitors.
Old 20 June 2013, 04:13 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Anyone else been? Thinking of Cavtat (Hotel Croatia) as a base.
Old 20 June 2013, 08:20 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I came on this thread to recommend Dubrovnik but I guess thats been pointed out already
Old 20 June 2013, 08:36 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

We have a place on one of the islands (Brac) and we go there quite regularly, as the wife is half Croatian. My daughters going there next week to stay with grandparents for a week, nice peacefull week at home for me.

We are all off to stay in Regoznica for a couple of weeks in the Summer holidays, we got married there a few years ago so love it there.

People are really friendly, food is great, scenery is amazing etc, so can highly recommend it.

The first time I went to Croatia it was in Zarbreb to visit family, the wife was pregnant at the time so I went for a little walk while she had a rest. I stumbled home about 5 hours later drunker than a drunk thing after poking my head in a locals bar. They wouldn't let me buy a drink as they were welcoming me to their country. . It was only after when I explained to her Aunt exactly where I went I found out it was home to some of the most violent lunatic football fans in Europe. I'm so glad I don't follow football, as this was the first thing they asked and I just shrugged my shoulders and said it wasn't for me. I had a great time in that bar though.

Last edited by cookstar; 20 June 2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 21 June 2013, 06:05 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Sounds good, I think. Anyone else been? Cavtat specifically.