Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Do non bike riders fancy having a go?

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2005, 03:23 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do non bike riders fancy having a go?

Most of my mates ride bikes ....the usual sort of stuff R1's ....Dukes......Busa's ........blades and Aprillias.

Now come the summer they disappear off for their rides etc etc and I can honestly say the idea of it dont appeal to me. They all ride like complete loons and come back with stories of 160mph here there and everywhere. I'm not sure what puts me off most but the fact that im bad enough ina car worries me. Give me a piece of kit that'll hit 100 in about 5 seconds and there would be tears for sure.

Anyone else not into bikes and for the same kinda reasons?
Old 18 January 2005, 03:37 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I'd kill myself, plain and simple.
Old 18 January 2005, 03:39 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Whats your question? Anyone not into bikes because your mates are idiots?

My wifes Galaxy will do 100 past the school but i still let her out in it! Bikes have a throttle.....as long as you have two hands you would be fine....unless you just dont like bikes which is fair enough.

T
Old 18 January 2005, 03:42 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
Most of my mates ride bikes ....the usual sort of stuff R1's ....Dukes......Busa's ........blades and Aprillias.

Now come the summer they disappear off for their rides etc etc and I can honestly say the idea of it dont appeal to me. They all ride like complete loons and come back with stories of 160mph here there and everywhere. I'm not sure what puts me off most but the fact that im bad enough ina car worries me. Give me a piece of kit that'll hit 100 in about 5 seconds and there would be tears for sure.

Well next time you see them please tell them from me *not* to ride like that.

They give the rest of us a bad name that will result in all bikes being banned from the roads completely. You know how this government treats the motorist, well they hate bike riders even more, and this is just the kind of behaviour that provides the ammunition they need to legislate bikes off the roads.
Old 18 January 2005, 03:44 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

It's fun, but i have little self control so decided not to get another one. I remember coming home from work one day on a ZXR-750 at 150mph plus, and idly gazing down at the road whizzing past, then idly wondering how well jeans and trainers would stand up to an off. Even with my leathers on i always wondered how much chance there was of surviving a high speed crash.

Plus it's a bit worrying when you can end up doing time for speeds which are easily achieveable pretty much anywhere on a sports 600.
Old 18 January 2005, 03:45 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I guess all bikers ride at the speed limit................PMSL

I dont agree with the speeds they do either by the way ..... but its a fact of life most do push on a fair bit.

I think the 'i would kill myself' comment applies to me also.
Old 18 January 2005, 03:49 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

"And the fish i caught was THIS big"

Most bikers i know talk the talk to non bikers - but only really rip it when its "safe" to do so.

Don't believe everything they say - look at their pegs and tyres if they claim to be "scratching it" - if they arent worn to the edges or worn down the guys talking sh1te

One thing - never knock it until you've tried it. You wouldn't get killed unless you really wanted to

Nothing worse than non bikers telling me how dangerous biking is........ PASS YOUR TEST - BUY THE BIKE - YOU WILL NEVER LOOK BACK

Jza
Old 18 January 2005, 03:52 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Often fancied getting a bike but at the moment I don't have the room to put one, or the finances to run one.

Did my CBT a while ago, and though I passed I didn't feel all that comfortable and it could be a while before I give it another go.
Old 18 January 2005, 03:57 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Thread wasnt meant to upset .........I was just stating that I dont fancy the idea coz of my own reasons, ie I wouldnt trust myself.
Old 18 January 2005, 04:02 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

I always fancied learning to ride, but I have met so many riders who have had accidents that I cannot justify the risk (note that it is usually the other road user that caused the accident and not them riding poorly).

My bike dream is to tour Europe with the wife during the hot summer months, rather than blast around britain at high speed in the cold and wet (and that includes the summer).
Old 18 January 2005, 04:02 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

I've toyed with the idea of getting a bike for work now I'm in Leeds city centre. However, I keep remembering the 'good old days' when I was riding before. Freezing my t!ts off, getting soaked and falling off 5 times in one year all hardens my resolve to not bother.

I still fancy it when the sun's out and I'm sat in a traffic queue as far as the M621 will take you
Old 18 January 2005, 04:08 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Red face

Thread wasnt meant to upset .........I was just stating that I dont fancy the idea coz of my own reasons, ie I wouldnt trust myself.
Know what you mean Gary

I bought a bike a few years ago and although I can be a very safe and observant driver who knows roughly when to go fast and when not to I still didn't feel that I'd be able to resist the urge sometimes so I sold it before I even took my test It just sat in my garage for about 18 months or so

I did used to enjoy going on the back of my friends bike though but I did trust him although I still used to worry at junctions incase the other traffic hadn't seen us

Paul
Old 18 January 2005, 04:14 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

All wussy bikes...plonk them on a a H1 or H2 Kwak and give them some spare underware

And the ladies seem to prefer to be on the back of an old unbalanced Bitish twin cylinder bike...can't imagine why
Old 18 January 2005, 04:18 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

I had a CBR 600 few years ago , was the true born again biker , but i did take an advanced bike test and passed , but it got to the stage where i was thinking the night before a ride out " will i still be alive this time tommorrow " and i knew it was only a matter of time before i got servely injured or killed and with a wife and two kids it had to go

so now i ride a dirt bike (enduro) do a few events and it more than feeds my two wheeled habit and is a lot safer and ultimatly more fun
Old 18 January 2005, 04:24 PM
ChrisB

Given I've put myself in hospital stacking a mountain bike, I decided two wheels with a motor would not be good for my life expectancy...
Old 18 January 2005, 05:24 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Everything I buy or do I tend to fall off or over. I know I'll fall of a motorbike, it's for sure, in fact, the last time I rode one - off road - I ended up with a nasty rash. Saying that I've just bought an ultralight aircraft, might not be on here after the summer
Old 18 January 2005, 05:31 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I tend to drift in and out of biking, giving it up one month then not being able to live without it the next.

Just bought myself another R1 and it makes me grin from ear to ear. My Evo's no slouch but there truely is nothing like the feeling of a big sportsbike on full song
Old 18 January 2005, 05:37 PM
PICKLE
Scooby Regular

Do it on the dirt! No need to go stupid speeds just to have fun
Old 18 January 2005, 05:56 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

I would love to try it, but there's just too much to look out for. The only one I've been on was a dirt bike, and I got off shaking like a leaf.

Anyway, a couple of reasons to be careful: this guy lived, discharged himself from hospital the next day, with no memory of how it happened. Note the bike-shaped dent in the pug.

In another case, one biker told of how he and his group of friends went out for a ride on a sunday afternoon. They had discussed and decided beforehand that they would NOT speed, but on a long straight road the temptation was too much. A car waiting to turn right threw a spanner in the works and they had to veer onto the wide hard shoulder. This biker told the emergency services he was travelling at 150mph+ on the hard shoulder when his brother overtook him. Unfortunately his bother was not on the bike at the time, and his helmet hit a metal post by the side of the road. Still alive when he reached hospital, but I don't know what happened after that.

It amazes me to see the number of bikers who wear jeans - to spend a fortune on a fast bike and insurance and to scrimp on the most important part!! If you're gonna do it, don't do it by halves!
Old 18 January 2005, 06:07 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

It amazes me to see the number of bikers who wear jeans - to spend a fortune on a fast bike and insurance and to scrimp on the most important part!! If you're gonna do it, don't do it by halves!
I Couldn't agree more.

I have many judgements of the Sunny Sundayers and Weekend Warriors which is pretty much typecast. There is just no place for it on todays roads.

My favourite back B-road..upon being found by the above now has almost 1 bike/fast car accident a week during summer (3 scoobies too) and is now becoming a favourite patrol route for plod
Old 18 January 2005, 07:15 PM
EvoBarry
Scooby Regular

Gutmann - you say you wouldn't trust yourself, well can I just say that after a couple of scares you'll soon learn self restraint - nothing concentrates the mind like outbraking yourself or having the rear tyre brake away slightly if you're a bit hamfisted with the throttle

As the other bikers have already said, have a go at the DAS maybe, see what you reckon. Chances are you'll be hooked.

Bikes rule, end of.
Old 18 January 2005, 07:45 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

another vote for the 'i wouldn't trust myself' answers!

gotta say a bike is about the only thing that scares me just as much as exciting me, and i've only ever been a passenger on a few!!

fantastic machines. but need to be in the right hands (and minds) in my opinion to be as safe as possible and i don't fall into either category!

would be dead within a week to be honest.
Old 18 January 2005, 08:12 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

I would love to get a modern 1000 or 600 sportsbike. Loved bikes when I was younger. My bro has a bike training school and I've been checked by him.
I must persuade Mrs. V before I'm too old.
They all have an on/off switch like a Scoob.
BUT, and this is where many won't agree with me, our modern lives are becoming so controlled, risk averse and nannied, that true exhilaration is rare.
A bike can give that.
If a biker injures or kills just themself I don't object as I also don't about mountaineers, solo sailors, skiers and many others who want to challenge themselves.
Old 18 January 2005, 08:23 PM
whiper
Scooby Regular

I did a track day on a ducati 748. Last one I did mind - forgot a corner was there and went over the handle bars at 70mph - not clever or funny. Now just stick to cars - It takes far more skill to ride a bike quickly than it does a car.
Old 18 January 2005, 08:43 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
All wussy bikes...plonk them on a a H1 or H2 Kwak and give them some spare underware
That's just cruel, it's like forcing someone to drive an old V8 Land Rover!
Old 18 January 2005, 09:01 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Not big or clever buy blóody hilarious when a chap I know come past me on a dual carraigeway at 160mph pulling a wheelie, oh, and standing up!!

I kid you not.
Old 18 January 2005, 10:06 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

My dad used to say that there are no bad motorcycle riders..... they're all dead

Agree with the 'get your kicks off road' philosophy although I still ride the roads in summer. It's the only way to get trained - and stay trained - for riding on 2 wheels.

This is my current passion...

Notice the setting. Two wheel paradise

And here's how I get there

only 4 miles from home. Sorted....
Old 18 January 2005, 10:23 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Pretty much well sums it up for me really

I've got a mate who used to be into his RS Cossies and then switched to bikes cos he could get more power/frill factor 9.9 captain for less money

He was always doing what you described above - he loved his Ducati to the point where he and his girlfriend (of the then time) went over to Bicester for some clothes shopping, they got into a heated discussion about her wanting to buy a £700 jacket whereas she would always be nagging him about how much he spent on his bike - needless to say that he dumped her there and then got on his bike and rode back to Bedford....erm... leaving her there

Now he's a changed man... met some bird who's got him completely under the thumb, sold his cossie and his bike and bought a Mercedes Diesel.... but he seems happier in himself

I like bikes and can respect them for the machines that they are - but to be doing +/-160mph on 2 wheels is not my idea of fun.... more like extreme sports with an edge of possible suicide

Andy
Old 19 January 2005, 08:08 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

It seems there are a few more people with the same of thoughts and feelings as me out there.

The funny thing is I love to see well ridden bikes. They come up behind, 5 or 6 of them, one inside one outside, blip of power and they are gone, big time.......makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck, the power etc. BUT it still doesn't make me want one.

You will note I have not mentioned bad biking in terms of how they act towards other motorists on this thread. Thats done on purpose as its on the minority which do that kind of thing.

To all you bikers out there ........ fair play, you have bigger ***** then I do ....