bless john kerry

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2005, 10:06 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bless john kerry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i wish this man was the president, this article made me feel a lil emotional, in my heart i knew this man was awesome and cool, he would have done the world good

http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/spages/524452.html
---
--------------

the bit with the syrian boy giving kerry a drawing was emotional for me, God bless people like kerry

http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/spages/524452.html

Kerry hopeful that strained U.S-Syrian ties can be improved

By The Associated Press

DAMASCUS, Syria - United States Senator John Kerry said Saturday after talks with Syria's president he is hopeful that strained U.S.-Syrian relations can be improved, while President Bashar Assad assured him that he is interested in dialogue with Washington.

The former Democratic presidential candidate, who arrived in Damascus Friday, met for two hours with Assad before meeting separately with Foreign Minister Farouk al-Sharaa. In both meetings, the talks centered on the situation in Iraq and how to prevent militants from moving from Syria to Iraq.

"I think we found a great deal of areas of mutual interest, some common concerns and some possibilities for initiatives that could be taken in the future to strengthening relationship between the U.S. and Syria," Kerry told reporters after meeting with al-Sharaa.

"I can assure you that I leave here with a sense that we can improve our relationship. There are significant possibilities, particularly with the elections in Iraq and the elections in the West Bank ...," Kerry said. "This is the moment of opportunity for the Middle East, for the U.S. and for the world. I hope that we would seize that opportunity."

Kerry said there were "still concerns" that need to be addressed. "But I came away confident that the president and foreign minister are interested in moving in the right direction, and I am hopeful they will," he said.

Assad stressed "the importance of dialogue between the two sides over all issues under discussion, especially those of common interest," Syria's official news agency reported without elaborating.

Kerry's visit comes amid strained U.S.-Syrian relations, particularly over accusations by American and Iraqi interim government officials that Damascus is doing too little to stop border infiltration. Washington also accuses Syria of backing Palestinian militant groups opposed to Israel.

Syria denies both claims but says it can't fully control its long, porous border with Iraq and regards Palestinian militants as fighters opposed to Israel's illegal occupation of Arab territories.

Kerry said he and Assad also discussed issues of importance to the region and to both countries, including Iraq, security, Lebanon and weapons of mass destruction.

"We discussed the war on terror and a number of issues between our countries with respect to economics and economic reform and the future of our relationship," he said.

Later, as Kerry was about to get into his car outside the Foreign Ministry building, 13-year-old Mustafa al-Nabulsi approached him with a drawing of the senator as a soldier in his Vietnam days.

"You have made me much more important than I was, though. You made me a general," Kerry told the teen.

"I wish you were the president," al-Nabulsi responded in English. "Thank you very much. So do I. Thank you for this," Kerry said. He asked for the boy's address, and al-Nabulsi gave him his cellular phone number.

A few months ago, Washington imposed sanctions on Syria under an act accusing Damascus of seeking weapons of mass destruction, a charge Syria denies, and hosting Palestinian groups Washington deems terrorist.

In September, the United Nations Security Council passed a resolution calling on Syria to withdraw its troops from Lebanon and dismantle the Syrian-backed Lebanese Hezbollah guerrilla group.

More recently, U.S. President George W. Bush has warned Syria and Iran against "meddling" in the internal affairs of Iraq.

Kerry arrived from Iraq, where he met U.S. troops in the volatile northern city of Mosul, the scene of a suicide bombing last month on a military base that killed 22 people, including 14 U.S. soldiers and three American contractors.
Old 08 January 2005, 11:05 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

religous myopic imbecile.

By definition anyone (especially in America) who chooses politics as a profession is incapable of "doing the world good". They are merely doing their best for the interest groups that backed them.
Old 08 January 2005, 11:08 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

most cases yes, but kerry sounded like a decent man
Old 08 January 2005, 11:12 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moses
most cases yes, but kerry sounded like a decent man
I agree, he came across as a nice guy - maybe too nice to be a politician, and also I didnt think he seemed to a very strong leader.
Old 08 January 2005, 11:20 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

i believe he would have been and would have been clever at it too and made the decisions himself instead of listening to the hawks and his daddy and the neo cons though.

just look at clinton he made mistakes but he was good and better at being a president than this guy and knew how to approach people as in problem people and area's