Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

TomTomGo or PDA & Detector Q's help PLZ

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2004, 06:15 PM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TomTomGo or PDA & Detector Q's help PLZ

Ok folks, the Mrs got me a TomTomGo unit for crimbo even though she kinda thought I wanted a PDA driven one, the guy in the shop recommended the Go unit as he said it was the best on the market at the present time. The only thing I don't like about it is the physical size of the thing, it aint exactly pocket sized, but in its favour it does seem to have a very good screen and the maps look good and it can be easily moved from car to car, also if you bin the foreign voices on the SD card you can fit in the POI's for the camera positions.
So heres the dilema, do I return it and replace it with a PDA with the TomTom software, also is there any on the market that can also pick up the scamera vans or if plod are following you.
Pictures of any installs on a newage dash would be appreciated.

John.
Old 29 December 2004, 06:38 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

personally i prefer pda can do a bit more with them, especially if get one with wifi etc for wireless internet, combine it with mini stumbler becomes very useful
Old 29 December 2004, 07:35 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I have both TTN3 on an HP2210 and TT GO. Unless you need the PDA features, I'd go for the GO every time. It's a single unit -- turn it on and it works. No faffing around with cables, getting the Bluetooth connexion to stay up, etc.
Old 29 December 2004, 09:50 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

We got a Dell X30 with a TomTom 3 option.

Although the TomTom Go does what it says on the box, the PDA option is pretty good, especially the option to navigate to a contact in your address book.

It saves having to re-enter the postcode, etc to get a destination.
Old 30 December 2004, 08:40 AM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

I've got the GO as well - great little unit! I chose it over the PDA as I have a PC at home and a PC at work and a PC at my mums - so the last thing I need it to sit on outlook in the car

As for dash fit, I was going to 'blue peter' a unit together as the window location is fine, but the wiring for recharging if you need to do it is a bit of pain. So I'm going to devise a airmount holder so it clips in and sits lower down. Think there supposedly something like this being planned, but I never seen it yet. But worth watching for.
Old 30 December 2004, 08:51 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

i am looking at this at the moment and the choice of units is confusing. Navman icn510 is a unit like TTG but is slimmer and retails at about £399. apparently though it is a bit quiet as the speaker on the TTG is suppose to be really good. the other thing i have seen is people complaining of having software issues with PDA units where software isnt always compatable with the sat nav on the unit so it crashes where as the dedicated units avoid this. also Halfords are doing the Navman icn630 unit at £400 because it is discontinued but i am not sure what extra's the new units have over the old. Costco was selling Navman icn620 units before xmas at £369. pc world i think are doing the TTG for £350!

The othe point is some units apparently dont search by Post code if that is importnat to you etc.

I am still trying to find some where that actual gives a good detailed list of the differences between the various units on the market.

Good luck!
Old 30 December 2004, 10:09 AM
DMC12
Scooby Regular

I am also interested in people's opinions on this one. I've get a Dell X3 and was thinking of getting the TTN3 Bluetooth, but I don't mind paying extra for the GO if it's the better option. (I don't use the X3 at the moment, so it would only be used for this).

What's the sound quality like on the PDAs? Can you get away with the built in speaker or does it need amplifying?

Has anyone had a problem with Heat Reflective windscreens blocking the signal? I need to transfer it between 2 cars and don't want to be messing about with external aerials.

Where's the best price for the GO at the moment? I've seen the TTN3 for £159 but can't find the GO for less than £400.

Many thanks.

Steve
Old 30 December 2004, 01:38 PM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

Up Up Up for some more help PLZZZZ

John.
Old 30 December 2004, 03:24 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought a Dell X5 PDA with the tomtom3 kit, came with all chargers, desktop holder, cover, dash vent, leather wallet and Rikaline gps which plugs into the top slot so it can be carried around as well. When it's in the car cradle there's also another gps aerial which plugs in to boost the signal, i bought this from a seller on ebay for £330 - i went to his house yesterday and he talked me through everything and even fitted the car stuff :-)
The only niggling thing i found was when approaching a roundabout the voice says "turn right at roundabout and take 2nd exit off" when i had to take 1st exit off? - bloody women navigators..............
Old 30 December 2004, 03:58 PM
Up_North
Scooby Regular

John,

I'm in similar position to you. Girlfriend got me TomTom Go - although I was thinking of getting a PDA based one. I have to say though - I'm pleasantly surprised by the TTG. Yeah it's a bit bulky but it has its GPS built in, so you don't need any cables for that and if you charge it from the mains it should give you up to 4 hours use without having to plug it into cigarette lighter so it truly is plug and go. The 3D heads up view is really good and extremely accurate.

Any Sat Nav is only as good as the maps though. TTG uses maps from Tele Atlas which are generally considered not as good as the rival Navteq ones. I checked where I used to live and although the roads were on the map they were all listed as "unnamed" even though they'd been there for at elast 5 years!!! Current version does have the M6 toll road though.

Also just been to Rivington and it tried to direct me through a set of concrete bollards in Chorley - it does reroute very quickly though.

Address entry can be a bit of a pain - you have to enter town then street. You can enter the first bit of SOME postcodes but it's not worth it. There is a downloadable set of POI files that someone has created which will let you navigate by postcode - and it seeme very effective.

You can also download speed camera databases but unlike, say a Origin B2, it can't put it into context of your current speed.

To download extra POI's you're gonna need a bigger memory card - there's less than 1mb on the supplied one free.

The suction mount is surprisingly good. and hasn't fell off yet.

If yu do decide to go for a PDA based system I would have a think about splashing out a bit more and getting a Navteq based one - such as Navigon.

The best place to get more info on anything to do with GPS is www.pocketgps.co.uk

Ian
Old 31 December 2004, 01:04 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Reading Pocket GPS world there were alot of moans about the poor quality of Tele Atlas maps! and Navman have just swapped over to them as well?
Old 31 December 2004, 11:18 AM
Up_North
Scooby Regular

Yeah, its a shame about Navman doing that. That only leaves Co-Pilot and Navigon using Navteq maps. Co-Pilot 5 got an excellent review on that site.

Ian
Old 31 December 2004, 11:54 AM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by robby
bloody women navigators..............
Just slap the b!tch :P

John.