Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What are motorway slip roads for ?

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2004, 01:33 AM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default What are motorway slip roads for ?

Are they for

A: To slowly build up speed to match the traffic flow, to ease your way onto the motorway

or are they

B: to slow down to as slow as you can get, for the purpose of sticking V up to oncoming traffic !!!!!!!

Fookin idiots out there today
Old 27 December 2004, 07:15 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

definately B
Old 27 December 2004, 07:16 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Actually, if there's oncoming traffic once you've gone down the slip road there's a slim chance you *may* have taken a wrong turn
Old 27 December 2004, 08:07 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

C. They're for crawling down at 30mph so you have plenty of time to stop at the T-junction at the bottom where it meets the carriageway. Then you sit there patiently untill there's a gap to pull out into, it doesn't need to be a big gap - everyone else will slam on their brakes and/or swerve out of the way for you if there isn't enough space.

Well that's how everyone seems to do it round here....
Old 27 December 2004, 08:47 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

My preferred usage is:

D) Accelerate to about 100mph, then slam on to slow down to the flow of traffic on the motorway itself
Old 27 December 2004, 08:57 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as I can tell, most people seem to treat them as a sort of map, showing them which way to drive. As soon as they've found the right slip road, they then turn their brain off - assuming it was ever on - and just drive down it as some randomly chosen speed. People using slip roads wrongly annoys me even more than tailgaiters and BMW drivers.

M
Old 27 December 2004, 09:51 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
My preferred usage is:

D) Accelerate to about 100mph, then slam on to slow down to the flow of traffic on the motorway itself

that works for me
Old 27 December 2004, 10:29 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Rekon you need to be doing at least 60 at the bottom for safe joining, but the number of times I have been forced to join a fast flowing M'way at 40 or less, crazy ....
Old 27 December 2004, 10:33 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

The slip road onto the M4 from the A329 heading west is a beautiful sweeping banked lefthander with two lanes that you can nail comfortably at around the 90 mark.
Old 27 December 2004, 10:46 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

UB,

I know that bend. Most people tend do about 40mph and actually brake as they approach the motoway itself.

Me ? Always about 90 off the A329 and hold it all the way through. I've always done this route in hire cars so the big bump as you straighten up for the motorway itself is always a good test of the cars suspension.

I'm also in the group that gets as fast as possible, then slows to match traffic for joining. My attitude is that you can remove speed by braking a lot quicker than you can speed up.

Ian
Old 27 December 2004, 10:54 AM
misty
Scooby Regular

My attitude is that you can remove speed by braking a lot quicker than you can speed up.
That's because you don't drive an evo mate
dave
Old 28 December 2004, 08:05 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Apart from the obvious fools who decide to slow down faar to much. My other favourite are the people that indicate "right" before joining the dual carriageway.

I mean, really, where else are you likely to be going
Old 28 December 2004, 09:47 PM
King RA
BANNED

Originally Posted by rr_ww
Apart from the obvious fools who decide to slow down faar to much. My other favourite are the people that indicate "right" before joining the dual carriageway.

I mean, really, where else are you likely to be going
Doesn't everybody indicate right??? You must be one of the 'special' few that doesn't need to.
Old 28 December 2004, 10:04 PM
DEEDEE
Scooby Regular

I remember, North A1 Doncaster slip road, a woman stopped waiting for a gap in the traffic, cars queued behind her, then some idiot stopped on the A1 to let her out. A couple of minor taps bumps happened, bloody lucky it wasnt a pile up. She drove off never to be seen again, but caused chaos.
Old 28 December 2004, 11:47 PM
washer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by misty
That's because you don't drive an evo mate
dave
or a scooby
Old 29 December 2004, 12:20 AM
juan
Scooby Regular

I'm also in the group that gets as fast as possible, then slows to match traffic for joining.

Could always just match the speed of the lane you're joining and merge nice and simply?
Old 29 December 2004, 08:51 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by juan

Could always just match the speed of the lane you're joining and merge nice and simply?
Where's the fun in that?
Old 29 December 2004, 09:21 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

A 'right' signal is useful, it shows other drivers that YOU realise the traffic already on the motorway has right of way and that you have to find a gap and give way to it.

Those that don't signal are usually those who think the slip road and motorway just merge into one and that it's OK to drive down the slip at whatever speed they like regardless of what the traffic already on the motorway is doing.
Old 29 December 2004, 09:41 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by DEEDEE
I remember, North A1 Doncaster slip road, a woman stopped waiting for a gap in the traffic, cars queued behind her, then some idiot stopped on the A1 to let her out. A couple of minor taps bumps happened, bloody lucky it wasnt a pile up. She drove off never to be seen again, but caused chaos.
I wouldn't think the woman who stopped on the slip road caused choas but the muppet who stopped on the motorway did...

The rule is that if you are unable to join you are MEANT to stop and wait for a gap - which is why these people who bully their way onto the road and cause the people in the inside lane to swerve out of the way are a REAL menace...
Old 29 December 2004, 11:43 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

My other favourite are the people that indicate "right" before joining the dual carriageway. I mean, really, where else are you likely to be going
Well, if you think about it, why do people indicate right when in actual fact they are turning LEFT! If you turned right upon joining a motorway, you'd be driving down the wrong way!
Old 29 December 2004, 12:05 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Kieran is right. You do not have right of way over the traffic already on the main road and if there is no gap you must wait until there is one. You should also make allowances for the driver in the left hand lane who is unable to pull into the right hand lane because he is being overtaken on his right. If you force your way onto the road it can cause an extremely dangerous incident for that very reason.

Whatever speed you approach down the slip road, you must be prepared to give way to the traffic already established on the road. It is only in America that joining traffic has priority.

Les
Old 29 December 2004, 12:16 PM
Ubik
Scooby Regular

Location: Covered in stickers in the year of the HUGE concrete

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
My preferred usage is:

Bit conservative isnt it? 120mph surely?
Old 29 December 2004, 01:32 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

depends on how long the slip road is, but usually flat out unitl its time to brake

unless the joining lane is clear
Old 29 December 2004, 03:57 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

I hate people who don't move over to the middle lane when you're trying to join. OKay, sometime it isn't possible but it always seems to be the old grandads who just potter along at 40 without even looking at the sliproad.

And, I also idicate before joining
Old 30 December 2004, 06:35 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
Well, if you think about it, why do people indicate right when in actual fact they are turning LEFT! If you turned right upon joining a motorway, you'd be driving down the wrong way!

Touche sir
Old 01 January 2005, 01:17 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Yes it is only reasonable to move to the right when approaching a slip road to allow people to join easily. The danger is if people joining assume that will happen when the guy in the inside lane is being overtaken by another car on his right and pulling straight on to the main road forcing him to stand on the brakes. I often find people trying to force their way onto the motorway dangerously in this situation or jumping up and down and gesticulating when it is not my fault.

The fact remains, the car on the motorway has right of way and joining traffic should be prepared to slow down or stop if necessary! The guy in the inside lane is entitled to stay there if he chooses. He is not required to slow down to allow others to join unless he wishes and it is safe to do so, whether he is a grandad or whatever.

Les