Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fecked off with misleading descriptions in Autotrader

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2004, 08:14 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Fecked off with misleading descriptions in Autotrader

I have looked at two cars in the last few days.
1st on stated FSH and immaculate inside and out.

Hardly - the service history was out of date by 1.5 K - not much but the missing service was the biggie - cambelt, etc - a Lie by the seller.

As for the bodywork, dented N/S rear door and paint scraped off of the bump strip and wheelarch + two dents in the front wing and a misted up headlight.

Whilst these are not exactly major things i travelled 150 mile round trip to look at what i had had discribed as mint.

Mint my ar$e.

2nd car
also described as very good condition.
3 out of the six services where missing from the book + the major cambelt one!

Rear bumper hanging off and broken in two places. Front bumper badly scratched both corners and in the middle.

two front tyres illegal

Paintwork dull and faded - the car is only 3 years old.

The interior was a right state.

Another 3 hours and 130 miles wasted.

I am a realist, i do expect a bit of wear and tare but these two cars where just not at all what they where advertised as.
Old 23 December 2004, 08:19 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Either you have swollen fingers or you've partaken in a bit of Christmas spirit...

I agree with your experience though - most of the cars I looked at from Autotrader were a waste of time. They are obviously waiting for a total mug to come along.

Edited to mention that you've gone in and corrected most of the obvious mistooks.
Old 23 December 2004, 08:27 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree ........... Autotrader is the home of the car dogs generally (no need to pay Autotrader prices to advertise a well priced good car!) as they sell themselves, always!

I will NEVER travel beyond 10 miles to view a car off Autotrader ....... I have been burnt too often!

Mint should mean as new - excellent should be just that .......... some of the cars (no, a LOT of cars!) are total cr4p!

Keep looking - but be very selective!

Pete
Old 23 December 2004, 08:45 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

It's a microcosm of this country. Nothing is as described,
In other words. IT'S ALL SPIN.
Old 23 December 2004, 09:12 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Paul, you're not alone, I had much the same experience last month - see http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=383178

If only people would be honest, that was my real complaint. There's no point in my phoning up and asking what condition a car is in if people are going to lie - it's not as though a well worn interior, different coloured panel or doors that don't shut are anything other than staggeringly obvious, so why not just mention them and save everyone from wasting their time?

(If you followed my rant in the other thread: I ended up buying car no. 5, the Primera in reasonable nick with the dead a/c. Turns out the condenser is porous and it'll be £360 to fix, so I'll do that come the summer. Apart from that, it now has a CD player and just needs an oil change before it'll be ready for a year's motoring. I'm happy )