Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What would you do ?

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2004, 01:55 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry What would you do ?

I know this isn't particularily interesting to some of you , but there's a hard core of Scoobynetters who have been very helpful in the past........

Last Saturday, we celebrated me dear old Mum's 80th birthday with a lunch at a hotel near Northampton.

This was booked and arranged way, way back in May. At that time we also booked an after dinner speaker. Sent him an invitation with relevant times and a map for directions.

12 noon came round, the time everyone was supposed to be there to sit down to lunch at 12.30. NO SPEAKER !

We delayed lunch until 12. 50 but since he still hadn't appeared we decided to begin without him.

At around 1.30- 1.40 we got a message to say he'd broken down en route. That he'd be with us at about 3 - 3.30 pm.

I thought then that that would be getting pretty late but thought he might get there sooner.

Meantime, my brother stepped into the breech with a cleverly thought out instant speech and I stood up and read out a poem I'd written to give Mum (knees knocking...).

3 pm came round, people were begining to make noises about leaving, some had to travel to Manchester, Wales, Skegness, in fact only 3 people were local. So I went along to reception and asked if anyone had left a number. Sure enough there was his agaents number. (At this point I did wonder why we hadn't been made aware of this by the hotel).

I called his agents and stated that people were now leaving the party and that really, Mr Speaker was no longer needed. Agent said straight away, "OK I'll get him to turn around and head back home, I fully understand".

At about 3. 40 when we were packing up the last of the cake etc. in walks Mr Speaker! Saying that he thought he'd turn up anyway to prove he was genuinely on his way. Since we were standing by the cake at that moment, we said it couldn't be helped and would he like a piece of cake, also knowing that if he required, the hotel had put aside a meal for him. He said no thanks and left.

Today, Mum has received a really snotty letter from him bemoaning the fact that he risked life and limb to get there only to be offered a piece of cake and that she'd be hearing from his solicitors !!

I've spoken to his agent, couldn't trust myself to speak to the man himself yet. The agent is gob smacked by his attitude.

Besides knee-capping what would you guys do ?
Old 23 December 2004, 01:59 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

If he is famous, you could always go to the press.....
Did you sign a contract at the time of booking/paying? if so, check the T&Cs carefully.
Ive had a couple of PAs/Djs not show or be late and some moan on for ever about it.
I doubt you could be fined or taken to court for it!
Old 23 December 2004, 02:01 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

I think knee-capping is actually your only option mate.

Sounds like a right idiot. Let him do what he likes he will be laughed out of court.
Old 23 December 2004, 02:01 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Checked the agreement. nothing untoward there, and we didn't have to pay until the day, so we of course didn't pay a penny.
We had a friend present who is also an entertainer and he agreed, no show-no fee.
Old 23 December 2004, 02:07 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Book him again under a different name and get him to drive all the way to Inverness or Penzance or the like!

p.s. Hows married life going?
Old 23 December 2004, 02:10 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

By failing to arrive at opionted time, (i presume as stated on the agreement) he has fail to comply with the contract. Therefore he, yes he, is in breach of contract and you, yes you, have the right to sue him for breach of contract so y he has turned round and said that i have no idea, i can understand him being mad about it not being his fault, but hey thats life, if it was gonna be a problem he should have allowed an overnight stay in a hotel to make sure he was there at stated time.
Old 23 December 2004, 02:14 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

SJ..... its wonderful and we are now living in South Lincs. Opening a studio in the new year.
Thanks for the comments so far. Like the suggestions coming through.
And yes Tidgy, the contract does run along those lines. We think he has some sort of almighty chip on his shoulder. I reckon he thinks he can beat up on old ladies, not realising she has a veritable army at her heels !
Old 23 December 2004, 02:24 PM
tmo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
By failing to arrive at opionted time, (i presume as stated on the agreement) he has fail to comply with the contract. Therefore he, yes he, is in breach of contract and you, yes you, have the right to sue him for breach of contract so
Agree totally although he could claim Force Majeure, but then you could counter that with a "reasonable endeavours" claim. i.e. if he broke down why didn't he get a taxi etc etc

Talk to the tax man see if he is disclosing this side of his income
Old 23 December 2004, 02:25 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

simple
If for example, i break down en route to my gig(s) tomorrow night, and i show up after my alloted set times, i wont get paid, and the contract states as much
Whinging about it just makes you look unprofessional.
Old 23 December 2004, 02:28 PM
tmo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Freak
simple
If for example, i break down en route to my gig(s) tomorrow night, and i show up after my alloted set times, i wont get paid, and the contract states as much
Whinging about it just makes you look unprofessional.
True very true, think its the sign of a weak person.