Middle lane 'cruisers'

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2004, 11:53 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Middle lane 'cruisers'

Rant.

Twice in two weeks I've nearly driven up the **** of a car on the motorway because they have drifted into lane 2 without warning, and without any obsticle in their lane!

First instance - last week I was following a car at around 50 - 60mph as we merged onto the M5 (our lane joining two lanes to form 3). I accelerated, indicated and moved to overtake, and the numptie just moved out into the middle lane without warning. I had nowhere to go because there was a car in lane 3 (who had seen where I was heading and had indicated to move out the way).
As I passed the middle lane hog, I beeped my horn and all I got in return was a w*nker wave Exactly what I thought of his driving.

Today, coming up to Exeter on a 3 lane stretch of the A38, some old biddy in a Corsa just veered across the road from the near-side lane a few car lengths in front of me - which was pretty close given the 30mph difference in our speed. She seemed completely oblivious to my beeping and waving as I went past, and then pulled into the completely clear lane 1 on front.

I was probably doing 80mph in both cases, so clearly both near misses were my fault because speed kills.

When did the highway code (or anyone for that matter) ever say that the middle lane on a motorway was the cruising lane?? It seems that as people become more and more obsessed with speed, more and more people want to 'cruise' in the middle lanes on motorways and get in everyone elses way!! When are they going to introduce the 'middle lane hog' cameras??

oh, that feels much better!
Old 19 December 2004, 11:56 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Yep, it's happening more and more and no one indicates anymore either
Old 20 December 2004, 12:08 AM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

One last night, joins the M1 off the slip road, late at night, indicates to go straight into the middle lane and settles in for the rest of their trip. (nothing in front in the left lane). fool.
Old 20 December 2004, 12:16 AM
Alas
Scooby Regular

I don't use the middle lane that much as I've got a Beemer so I use the BMW designated outside lane
Just living up to stereotype!!
Alas
Old 20 December 2004, 12:34 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

comming back from leicester tonight, many muppets who wont pull over from outside lane when theres is a gap to pull in, so me being me and getting more and more p'd off evertime theres a gap and they don't i just nail it up the inside and have more than enough room to undertake (theoreticaly dream now) you pull back into outside lane and get flashed for undertaking, if theres room to undertake, there must be room to pull in me thinks!!!! fools need to learn to drive!!!!!
Old 20 December 2004, 08:33 AM
Pastor
BANNED

I've just started undertaking them or if I have time and space overtake, pull back to lane 1 then reovertake and repeat till they get the message. Punctuate each pass with a squirt from my headlamp washers and they tend to get the idea after a short while.
Old 20 December 2004, 08:42 AM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

LOL Alas, must have been you in front of me on M25 this morning...2 clear lanes on inside for hundreds of yards an ya wouldnt pull over. Needless 2 say I did ... u must have seen the white flash as I went by

Trending Topics

Old 20 December 2004, 08:42 AM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

I dont have this trouble, when they get a shot of the 130 watt cibies they move over

andy
Old 20 December 2004, 08:53 AM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

I undertake them if there's absolutely no-one around. otherwise I'll do laps of them til they pull in )
Old 20 December 2004, 08:59 AM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pastor
I've just started undertaking them or if I have time and space overtake, pull back to lane 1 then reovertake and repeat till they get the message. Punctuate each pass with a squirt from my headlamp washers and they tend to get the idea after a short while.

I too have started to undertake cars on the M/Way. It didn't really get to me before because it wasn't as bad as it is now. It is certainly getting worse. I have to admit that something has to be done, the trial stretch of motorway that had the signs up i believe was a great success. Still amazes me that drivers will take note of an overhead sign but then not relate the instruction to everyday driving when signs aren't about. It must be a case of, "well he's doing it, so am i"

I love driving in the states, everything is much more free flowing and feels more comfortable being able to change into any lane
Old 20 December 2004, 09:09 AM
Ickle Jen
Scooby Regular

I hate middle lane hogs with a passion M3 everyday without fail i get them if i'm in the fast lane i get idiots doing 50mph who later on go on the M25 and as for people who drift in and out of lanes as they please i call them the vehicle's that indicators must have been an optional extra And this is why i'm training to be a Driving Instructor watch out world
Old 20 December 2004, 09:09 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Buzzer
I love driving in the states, everything is much more free flowing and feels more comfortable being able to change into any lane
But do you think it's safer?
Old 20 December 2004, 09:55 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

On the continent, on motorways overtaking is one complete manouvre.

Generally people will overtake, leaving their indicator on until the movement is completed and they move back to the inner most lane.

I just use the inside (fast lane). Waving at people as I sail past. Oh, and before anyone say's it - no, that is not undertaking.

Last edited by Senior_AP; 20 December 2004 at 09:57 AM.
Old 20 December 2004, 10:00 AM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andrewdelvard
But do you think it's safer?

Having only drove there in 2 week stints, i couldn't really give an accurate answer to that. I have to admit i feel a lot safer "knowing" i dont run the risk of being pulled over for undue care.....

So, yes i do *think* it's safer
Old 20 December 2004, 10:16 AM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ickle Jen
And this is why i'm training to be a Driving Instructor watch out world
Now im worried
Old 20 December 2004, 01:02 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If you join behind someone then you have to expect that they may well move into the centre lane to overtake another car in the inside lane. It just takes a bit of anticipation which will come with experience.

Apart from that, you were doing fairly well until you boasted to us all that you were exceeding the speed limit. That has effectively shot your complaint down in flames!

If you want to run someone's driving down you have to be above reprisal yourself.

Les
Old 20 December 2004, 01:17 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
If you join behind someone then you have to expect that they may well move into the centre lane to overtake another car in the inside lane. It just takes a bit of anticipation which will come with experience.
Les
The point was that there was nothing for them to overtake! How are you supposed to anticipate someone changing lanes at random, without them indicating?
As we approached the Corsa yesterday I braked hard, because I wasn't sure if it was going to veer right across the carriageway into the central reservation, or swerve back into lane 1. It was doing around 50mph, so there would have still been a difference in speed.

On each occasion I overtook the car and then moved back into Lane 1 easily, and safely. There was nothing ahead for a few hundred yards at least....therefore I think the speed I was doing is completely irrelevant, except that the closing speed was slightly greater than if I was going a few mph slower!
Old 20 December 2004, 01:21 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Foot_Tapper
LOL Alas, must have been you in front of me on M25 this morning...2 clear lanes on inside for hundreds of yards an ya wouldnt pull over. Needless 2 say I did ... u must have seen the white flash as I went by
No sorry m8 did'nt see you. Must have had the old Mascagni turned up too loud and would be in a world of my own
Alas
Old 20 December 2004, 01:39 PM
New_scooby_04

Dave, sounds like your issue is more with people that don't indicate before executing a lane change. I'm 100% with you on that. As for experience telling you that a person wil do something...maybe, but a bit of simple indication and courtesy saves a lot of guess work. They're on the car for a reason....use em!!!! :-)

Best.
Old 20 December 2004, 01:46 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

The ones that indicate only as they're moving accross are pretty annoying too!

I do over 30,000 miles a year and school hols are by FAR the worst time for motorway idiots - people who don't usually drive on them and have NO IDEA about driving at speed, checking blind spots etc!
Old 20 December 2004, 03:08 PM
Rags
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Buzzer
Unfortunately mate I can't agree with you there for the simple reason that no ****** indicates here! /

All the hillbillys in their tank like SUV's just changing lanes whenever they feel like it and not indicating gets right on my t*ts!!. Then when you hit them with the horn and the beams and give them a nice w*nker sign they look at you all confused. Not many know what the w*nker sign means here so seeing that look of "what the f*ck does that mean" on their face makes the inconveniece worth while!.