Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Oxfordshire: blanket speedlimit reduction from NSL to 50mph!

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2004, 08:43 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oxfordshire: blanket speedlimit reduction from NSL to 50mph!

Despite widespread opposition, we have learned that Oxfordshire County Council plan to go ahead with another sweeping round of unnecessary speed limit reductions on rural main roads. Plans had been put on hold after it was revealed that previous reductions from 60 to 50 have not been the success that was claimed.
http://www.abd.org.uk/local/oxfordshire.htm

This will happen in YOUR county next!! Now is the time to do something about this before it's too late!

Join the ABD at www.abd.org.uk
Help with mass letter-writing
Join in various publicity campaigns

Regards
Nick

When money talks, truth is silent.
Russian Proverb
Old 17 December 2004, 09:52 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there was talk of a similar county-wide "national speed limit" reduction in the essex chronicle last year. as far as i am aware nothing further has happened. i think if more than about 10-15% of the people on the roads knew what the white circle with the black diaginal line meant, then there'd be less road rage, smoother movement of traffic...etc
Old 17 December 2004, 11:38 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

If they can't do that they're making life as difficult as possible for those that still want/need to use their own transport.
Or making money out of 'em

Alcazar
Old 17 December 2004, 01:35 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Will cost a fortune in signs. How will that be recovered I wonder

Surely they can't just put notices up at the borders with adjacent counties saying "While in Oxfrogshire do not exceed 50mph".

Will it apply to the M40 as well?

Can't see it happening on a local level.
Old 17 December 2004, 02:21 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

drive through derbyshire and you will see what a mess this kind of policy makes of the roads, what used to be National speed limit is now 40 or 50 for absolutely no reason. The signs and painted road areas are everywhere, must have cost a mint to put that lot up.
Old 17 December 2004, 02:57 PM
New_scooby_04

Hutton D Believe me, the government don't want people out of their cars: they make way too much out of motorists in tax!!

As for public transport, well that would be significantly better if they'd actually spend some of the revenue raised from motorists on that rather than on pointless interference such as that outlined in the initial post!

Best.
Old 17 December 2004, 04:04 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johnfelstead
drive through derbyshire and you will see what a mess this kind of policy makes of the roads, what used to be National speed limit is now 40 or 50 for absolutely no reason. The signs and painted road areas are everywhere, must have cost a mint to put that lot up.

Tell me about it, I am just about to move house to Derbyshire, will be 8 miles from work to home and there are some 9+ speed cameras along the route. If you know Ilkeston / Shipley / Heanor going past the American Adventure, you'll know what I mean
Old 17 December 2004, 06:12 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Complete joke - of course its all about road safety and has nothing to do with the fact that revenue vans will make more money when the limits have been lowered further

Thing is they'll get away with it as everyone will just moan, but take no action. Anyone up for organising a riot? We could find the headquaters of the revenue camera partnership and burn it down for starters
Old 17 December 2004, 08:37 PM
skiddus_markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Tell me about it, I am just about to move house to Derbyshire, will be 8 miles from work to home and there are some 9+ speed cameras along the route. If you know Ilkeston / Shipley / Heanor going past the American Adventure, you'll know what I mean

I used to work in that area and there are quite a few.I've seen police hiding at the bottom of the hill from Tescos (near the school) in Heanor too .I spun around used it to test my radar detector.
If you think there are a lot of cameras there you should drive the stretch from J31 of the M1 into Chesterfield.There are 7 cameras on approximately 5 miles of road.
Old 18 December 2004, 12:54 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Funny how a riot got rid of the Poll Tax when all the compliants and whinging didnt. wonder if there is a lesson for us all?
Old 18 December 2004, 01:00 AM
Lum
Scooby Regular

At the moment, most major single carriageway routes are 50mph already, it's stupid.
All the crappy little single track farm roads are 60, however, but these dont go anywhere useful.
And then there's that stretch that used to be 60, but the road has gone a bit bumpy so they dropped it to 30.
I hate that county.
Old 18 December 2004, 01:50 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Adrian F
Funny how a riot got rid of the Poll Tax when all the compliants and whinging didnt. wonder if there is a lesson for us all?
Dont kid yourself. The Riot's didnt stop the poll tax, people who refused to pay is what killed it. It became economically unviable and clogged up the courts.

Now if everyone who got a NIP took the option for court action or insisted on photo evidence instead of paying the fine, things might change, but they wont, they will take the £60 hit rather than risk a £1000 hit.
Old 18 December 2004, 02:00 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Are you referring to the A6; principally between Ambergate and Matlock Bath John? This was originally touted as an aide to motorcycle safety but ti seems to be spreading...

Simon
Old 18 December 2004, 02:08 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Joke! Limits should be going up

Saw a new clarkson DVD the other day and he was driving some fancy merc with meat brakes. He said it stopped from 120mph in less distance than the highway codes stop from 60mph! Will they update the stopping distances??
Old 18 December 2004, 02:18 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by saxo boi
Saw a new clarkson DVD the other day
Clarkson make rake in a mint from all his motoring DVD/Vid's - there seems to be one released every Christmas, and its the same formula everytime - lots of tasty high-performance cars being thrashed around - and a few clips of caravans being blown up. Still got to admit theyre entertaining!
Old 18 December 2004, 02:36 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

You know on reading my post again I have an image of a highway code book driving along at 60mph then braking
Old 19 December 2004, 11:46 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by GC8
Are you referring to the A6; principally between Ambergate and Matlock Bath John? This was originally touted as an aide to motorcycle safety but ti seems to be spreading...

Simon
That road is particularly bad, but the rest of derbyshire is going that way, roads that used to be enjoyable to drive are just a nightmare with constant changes in speed limit and no overtaking zones for no aparant reason. Roads that used to be NSL are now 40MPH. The road surface is also constantly changing grip level where they randomly paint speed signs on the road or put extra grippy tarmac down on some corners but not others. Driving there is far more tiring than it used to be, you spend less time looking for what you should be when you drive a car and more time dealing with artificial crap.
Old 19 December 2004, 02:58 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

That road is particularly bad, but the rest of derbyshire is going that way, roads that used to be enjoyable to drive are just a nightmare with constant changes in speed limit and no overtaking zones for no aparant reason. Roads that used to be NSL are now 40MPH. The road surface is also constantly changing grip level where they randomly paint speed signs on the road or put extra grippy tarmac down on some corners but not others. Driving there is far more tiring than it used to be, you spend less time looking for what you should be when you drive a car and more time dealing with artificial crap.
Derbyshire is getting quite a reputation; I live in Sheffield now but Ive just read on another post (by Hedgehog) that Derbyshire had more than twice as many court prosecutions for speeding as South Yorkshire in 2002.