Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: Am I being unreasonable?
Yes
33.33%
No
66.67%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Quick eBay Poll; Am I being unreasonable?

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2004, 07:52 PM
SteveV-WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Quick eBay Poll; Am I being unreasonable?

Okay?

Goes like this.

I have a car that has sold on eBay for the second time, the first time was to a Non registered scammer.

Second time I was quite clear about the auction, details etc.

Link to sale (sorry mods not for advertising purposes, just so people can form an unbias opinion)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MESO:IT

I wa a bit worried seeing as the buyer is nearly 300 miles away, (near enough Lands End! to my Surrey) But he's got a couple of positive feedback over the last 6 months, so no probs I thought at least give a chance.

Now the highest bidder has contacted me nearly 24 hours after the end of the auction, I get a text saying is it alright giving a £100 deposit through Paypal and then coming to pick up the car in January!

Now I think this is pretty out of order, I understand that things get a bit hectic over xmas, but if I was buying something I would have the money available and be prepared to pick up within a reasonable time.

Am I unreasonable in asking either for the full amount if its sitting on my driveway or he picks it up with the balance in a shorter time?

Steve
Old 14 December 2004, 07:55 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

id accept that, and say if you dont come and get it by 5th of jan ile keep ya cash.

thats my opinion anyway?

but know what your saying about if you buy it now, then youve bought it, wheres my dosh?
Old 14 December 2004, 08:09 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Tell him all or nothing. Come January when he backs out you're left with an older car and £100, whoopee!!

I would'nt accept it.

The auction was for now not January, only grown-ups need apply.
Old 14 December 2004, 08:12 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

I'd accept it to be honest. You've lost nothing.
Old 14 December 2004, 08:21 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come January when he backs out you're left with an older car and £100, whoopee!!

Dont think a month will make much of a difference on a 13 year old write off, more he aggro, I would re-list it after a week if he doesnt pay in full or come up with a very valid explanation, shouldnt go bidding if you cant follow it through.
Old 14 December 2004, 08:21 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

It' an auction FFS. You bid you pay. British Car Auctions don't wait. Simple.
Old 14 December 2004, 08:27 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Jacko- I didn't even look at the car because to be honest, a deal is a deal, whether or not the car is 13 months or 13 years old. The guy is a fárt.

It's Steves call at the end of the day.
Old 14 December 2004, 08:29 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

how many bids were ther? how much interest?

drop a mail to the losing bidder and sound him out for if your deal falls through, I have had a few surprises with low feedback buyers, they are not all scammers.

ask him for a phone No and give him a bell, if you get one and he discusses then I would say you are halfway there.
Old 14 December 2004, 08:30 PM
SteveV-WRX
Scooby Regular

Its fine, basically I just want to know that i'm not going mad.

I've already said to the highest bidder that it's not on. He called me unreasonable, I just wanted to know other peoples take on it.

I thought I've put out more than enough by offering the two options in the first post.

Steve
Old 14 December 2004, 08:30 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

It is Steve's call for sure but he's not likely to sell it elsewhere this close to Christmas so why fuss about it? Take the £100 and tell him you'll be relisting it after the new year.
Old 14 December 2004, 08:31 PM
SteveV-WRX
Scooby Regular

oh and I've had three emails from other bidders / people that have viewed the car to say if the deal doesn't go through they are still interested.

Steve
Old 14 December 2004, 08:34 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
It is Steve's call for sure but he's not likely to sell it elsewhere this close to Christmas so why fuss about it?
Can you sell me your knowledge on car sales near, during and after Christmas please?
Old 14 December 2004, 08:35 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SteveV-WRX
oh and I've had three emails from other bidders / people that have viewed the car to say if the deal doesn't go through they are still interested.

Steve
Ah, that changes the odds a little. I wasn't thinking of him by the way, just didn't see you had anything to lose. This info changes it a bit. If the highest offer from the losing bidders is satisfactory then take it and get rid.

I had one of them 2 cars ago and that looks nasty btw. Must've been a real gut wrencher
Old 14 December 2004, 08:37 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Can you sell me your knowledge on car sales near, during and after Christmas please?
I couldn't sell my MR2 last Christmas. I couldn't sell my Supra 2 Christmases before that and I was having a shocking time trying to sell my Saxo now (until it got trashed - now I don't have a hope!)

Both the Toyotas sold soon after.

Besides I said 'likely', hardly definitive.

There, no charge..
Old 14 December 2004, 08:43 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Alan Partridge when having lunch Tony Hayers at the BBC restaurant. Excellent episode!

Why not ask the buyer to pay 50% or the full amount now and then come collect in Jan. He can deposit straight into your bank. You''ll do him the favour of not charging storage!
Old 14 December 2004, 08:44 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If he wanted to do that they should have contacted you via email before they submitted their bid asking you if you'd accept this. I bid on a car part before I went on holiday earlier this year and I email the seller telling him that I'd be away when the auction ended so was he ok if I submit a bid before I went then paid when i returned from holiday if I won. I think that's only polite.
Old 14 December 2004, 08:45 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

your "buyer" is a moron.

tell hm he can pay full price and collect when he likes.....or he can get lost and leave him neg feedback.....assuming you can sell to 2nd place buyer.

T
Old 14 December 2004, 08:51 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Originally Posted by SteveV-WRX

Steve
tell the 3 interested people they can have it for the winning bid if they pick it up this weekend. They were hoping to anyway. Don't get back to the other guy till the weekend. If you still have your car on Sunday accept his £100 deposit and see if he turns up in the NY
Old 14 December 2004, 09:04 PM
SteveV-WRX
Scooby Regular

Paul, Thats what I would do and expect others to do back, It's (un)common courtesy.

With regard to the car, It's a hobby of mine, I buy lightly damaged cars, do them up and sell them on. The damage is pretty much superficial, no chasis damage, replace rear panel, new bumper, new lights and new or pro repair to rear 1/4 panel.

a weeks tinkering and jobs a good un, and it will probably pay for the next snowboard trip and the next beat up car!

I would have done this but i've already got 2 306's on the go, the girlfriend's going skitso over the driveway and I just dont want to sit out in the cold.

But anyway I brought it for £600 so I can't complain too much! ;-)

Steve
Old 14 December 2004, 09:28 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask for the money within 7 days, if you don't get it, file a non-paying bidder report. Offer the car to the next highest bidder, it was only £20 less.

Checking his feedback, look at the other car he bought at

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9872&item=24965648 41
Check with the seller & see if he went through with the purchase.