ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Rolexes as an investment. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/386865-rolexes-as-an-investment.html)

Bubba po 12 December 2004 10:02 AM

Rolexes as an investment.

Or, in other words, FAO Yoza. ;)

Word has come to me that my brother is considering the purchase of a Rolex watch as an investment. Now, I know feck all about watches, but is this a viable proposition? Don't they depreciate like anything else? (Barring houses, of course).

If it is a goer, what models should he be considering ?

Cheers, Bubs. :)

Wish 12 December 2004 10:24 AM

I personaly brought my Rolex because i liked it.
Is it an Investment ?? Dont think so, well mine isnt. (Yacht Master)

Saying all that the Daytona is a watch that retails at £3500 or something and will easily make £5500 the same day as you get it

Bobby Peru 12 December 2004 10:29 AM

If you want to get one that will not depreciate then the Gents Sports stainless steel models are the ones to go for, avoid gold, best one is the Daytona, Submariner etc.
Daytona's cost circa £3200 new but go for upwards of £5500 on ebay as there is a 6 year waiting list, Submariners supposedly have a 2 year waiting list and GMT II and Explorer II have arouns 6 months.

I wonder if this is concocted by UK dealers though as if you go to Spain, you can buy these watches (not sure on Daytona though) over the counter, I bought my Submariner in Ibiza and it was in the shop window, 3 other jewellers in Ibiza town all had Submariners and GMT II's in aswell.

stevebt 12 December 2004 10:39 AM

i wouldnt exaclty consider a rolex as an investment, i know mine has went up more than £1.5k on the price i bought mine for but 2nd hand value will only be near what i paid for it :) if you after a rolex it might be a better idea to see if jersey has a stockist :) as a short trip to jersey could save you all the VAT on the watch :) i bought mine when i was in the Cayman Islands and mine was over £700 cheaper than the same model in the UK :)

PG 12 December 2004 10:40 AM

is it worth buying in the States atm with the dollar as it is ?
any sites for price comparrison ?

ScoobySnack 12 December 2004 10:42 AM

Have had an Oyster Perpetural Date Explorer II on my wrist everyday for the last 7 years.......... Subtle as its silver with black face. Back then it was one of the cheaper Rolexes :)

A trade value on it, was approx 60% or so I was told in London. Waiting list in UK for new was 6mths.

Hope it helps

J

ScoobySnack 12 December 2004 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by PG
is it worth buying in the States atm with the dollar as it is ?
any sites for price comparrison ?

I'd imagine this is a very good idea ....... and has made me make a note to look when I goes in Feb as well

J

Bubba po 12 December 2004 01:27 PM

Thanks for the replies, everyone. To tell you the truth, I don't even know where he's got this idea from. Perhaps someone at w**k. :D

paulr 12 December 2004 07:06 PM

1.Stell subs and explorers are easy to locate with a bit of effort.My local rolex dealer had an explorer II in the window for nearly a year,its just a case of ringing round.
2.Steel daytona's are harder to come by,yes.
3.Are they an investment,dont think so when you add in servicing costs unless its an explorer II 1655 orange hand,very desirable watches.
4.IMO buying a watch as an investment misses the whole point.You should buy a watch because they are fantastic pieces of minature engineering,money doesnt come into it.

Oh,and finally,Yoza is not the only one with any knowledge or love of of watches:p..........

:)

Bubba po 12 December 2004 09:54 PM

No, He isn't... he's just high-profile... ;)

I think that bruv is a bit p'd off. Divorced and lost his house; house prices too high to buy again; wants to buy himself something nice but can't justify a car because they all depreciate like fook.......

yoza 12 December 2004 10:44 PM

It depends on the model.

If you buy a Daytona at £3300 list, you can sell it the next day to a dealer for £5000+......

If you buy an Explorer II for £2300, you can sell it the next day to a fellow scoobynetter for £1600......:confused:

I did the latter, of course....:)

Bubba po 12 December 2004 10:47 PM

Ch'Yeah.... :D

mattstant 14 December 2004 12:02 PM

All i know is My oyster perpetual air king date cost £600 new in 1985 and has been insurance appraised and certified for £1900 thats an increase of £100 per year (servicing apart)

Brendan Hughes 14 December 2004 12:07 PM

Yeah, but think you'll find that's new for old replacement value? Try selling it to someone for that price and you'll get no takers. Nevertheless, you can probably sell it for (plucks figure out of air) a grand. At 66% gain over 20 years you won't become Warren Buffett.

Bought mine s/h for 1600, new price was 2200, and it was four years old. Someone had sold it to the shop for less than 1600 clearly. So that lost money in five years. Might be able to resell at higher than purchase price once the new value is about 3k, so that'll be after quite some years.

Probably get more by putting the money in the bank over that time.

Let's be honest - they're a bit like Porsches (see Other Marques ;)), you don't buy them as an investment, you just buy them as they depreciate slower than the competition.