Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The M25 moves to the Midlands!

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2004, 06:07 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry The M25 moves to the Midlands!

For those of you unfortunate enough to use the M42, you will be well aware of the ridiculous 50mph limit that has been imposed over the last couple of years due to the "roadwords". A limit enforced by many GATSO cameras, all of which are loaded, and set to only a couple of mph above the limit. These are the roadworks that never seem to have any actual workers, and you may have thought that their primary purpose was simply to annoy motorists

Well actually they do have a purpose. Those nice new shiney gantries that have been erected are there to display some nice new signs. Not, as you may have first though, those patronising ones that say "Think! Don't drive with your eyes shut" or "Think! Coughs and sneezes spread diseases". Nope, these signs have a familiar circle of lights, almost certainly around the red end of the spectrum - surrounding a square panel that probably can display a couple of digits in white.

This seems to complement the "ruler graduations" immediately after each gantry.

Yes folks, it looks like the M42 is going to get it's very own variable speed limit - complete with speed cameras.

More Big Brother control

mb
Old 11 December 2004, 06:11 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Surely our Government would'nt do that would they

Chip
Old 11 December 2004, 06:20 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I thought variable speed limits had been shown to be effective on M25 and helped keep traffic moving which can't be a bad thing? My gripe is when they leave the limits on when there is hardly any traffic! DL
Old 11 December 2004, 06:24 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

ffs
Old 11 December 2004, 06:26 PM
TDT
Scooby Regular

The new gantries on the M42 are actually for a system called Active Traffic Management. ATM does involve variable speed limits.

ATM will also allow the hard shoulder to be opened at busy times and used as a live running lane (hence the new refuges and gantries).

You might like to read http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/pro...index.htm]this

Everyone moans like **** that the Birmingham box is a nightmare and more so the stretch between 3 & 7 so something is being done about it. Yeah it's been a nightmare setting it up but it's new and things never quite go according to plan.

Last edited by TDT; 11 December 2004 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11 December 2004, 07:40 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
I thought variable speed limits had been shown to be effective on M25 and helped keep traffic moving which can't be a bad thing? My gripe is when they leave the limits on when there is hardly any traffic! DL
funny enough the variable limit causes more probs than it solves..

the quickest i have got up there is with the blanket 40mph applied..

the gatso,s cause bunching,

lets face it if billy liar and his transparant (opaque) government would actually post what the camera was set to , people could drive to that limit..

like the scam vans... how many times do you drive past one and think..

did it get me ?? was i speeding ,, i know i wasnt speeding ... now i have to wait..

all they have to do is state

the limit is set for xx the camera fires at 1mph over, you must control your speed. then no one can bitch if they get tagged.

i,m surprised that nonces r us hasnt whacked in a claim for mental distress

in short you have been subjected to mental abuse, your judgment and character have been questioned by an unkown person or persons based on old statistical data.

If this happened in a work place, you would take the matter up with some one senior..

yet all we do is bitch and moan and use crap well there better than them and i dont like him, remember the war!!

look at the french, and other european countries, they vote with there feet, and make dammed sure that there elected members know there feelings..

us its bahhh britian shaft us again...

vive la revolution

M
Old 11 December 2004, 07:44 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
look at the french, and other european countries, they vote with there feet, and make dammed sure that there elected members know there feelings..

us its bahhh britian shaft us again...

vive la revolution

M
Didn't we try this in the 70's?

I thought Thatcher put a stop to that.

Lee

Trending Topics

Old 11 December 2004, 09:05 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

lets face it if billy liar and his transparant (opaque) government would actually post what the camera was set to , people could drive to that limit..
Erm, I could be wrong, but it's probably a good idea to stick to the posted speed limit
Old 11 December 2004, 10:27 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

TDT,

are you saying that this (working URL) is a Pilot Project that has fecked up traffic on the M42 for a couple of years (and probably cost a lot of drivers their licences and possibly their livelihoods) was an experiment?

The "Birmingham Box" is ONLY a bottleneck due to the constant fecking roadworks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arrrggghhhhhhhhh!

mb
Old 11 December 2004, 10:46 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Erm, I could be wrong, but it's probably a good idea to stick to the posted speed limit
thts fine if the limit is posted...

i can take you several routes which all were 60 and now go from 60 40 to 50 to 30 and back to 60

keep track of that when your looking ahead and trying to spot every scamera

M
Old 11 December 2004, 11:10 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

A34 to Stone for a start, nightmare road, but roads like that are few and far between.
Old 12 December 2004, 12:03 AM
TDT
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

boomer,

It's experimental yeah. If it works here and reduces the congestion then it'll be implemented on other motorways around the country. I don't nail the speed cameras up, but as has been said numerous times before, do what the sign says then you wont get caught. The limit is in place for protection of the workforce - if you fancy working on the side of the motorway with traffic running past at normal speed, you're a better man than me!

The box is full of fecking roadworks because nothing has been done to the motorways in it for centuries. They are falling to bits! It's no different to the railways, the Highways Agency are playing catch up.

ATM will be worth all the hassle when it rolls out! Honest!

Last edited by TDT; 12 December 2004 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12 December 2004, 12:45 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

all they have to do is state

the limit is set for xx the camera fires at 1mph over, you must control your speed. then no one can bitch if they get tagged.
What an incredibly stupid stance.

The roads have clearly stated limits which are signposted. Even variable limits.

What you're asking for are additional signs to inform you of the threshold limit for the speed camera?

If you aren't very good at being aware of the signposted limits on roads, what makes you think you'll be any good at spotting the signs telling you about thresholds for speed cameras???????

Dumb.

Don't speed, you won't get caught. Simple really, but far too many people on here seem to want to self-police the roads, with the implication that as 'good drivers' (brackets, I have a 'sporty' car) they are entitled to apply their own limits as & when they see fit.

If so, do you chaps call the Inland Revenue and tell them you're only paying 15% income tax this month because you feel that's all you're due that month due to decreased usage of goverment services??

Nuts
Old 12 December 2004, 12:08 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TDT

The box is full of fecking roadworks because nothing has been done to the motorways in it for centuries.
Hardly, the M42 isnt that old, the M40 even less so.
Old 12 December 2004, 12:55 PM
TDT
Scooby Regular

Which is why the M42 is subsiding in places and the M40 is breaking up
Old 12 December 2004, 02:20 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

So rather than continually hammering the motorist, why doesn't the government sue the *** off the incompetent construction companies.

Take the Thelwall Viaduct as a prime example - how much has that little episode with dodgy expansion-joint rollers cost the country in unnecessary congestion? Oh, and how much revenue have the SPECS cameras raised in the ridiculous 40mph limit to "protect the workforce" who are all drinking cups of tea underneath the bridge?

mb